Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lived in Mexico for 13 years many years ago. I'm thinking of moving to Guanajuato or San Miguel Allende and am wondering is it possible nowadays to get a job in Mexico?
I taught school, worked for an interior decorator, personal assistant .. whatever was possible but always paid a mordida to work.
I am bilingual, have 25 years in the Travel Industry and work part-time as a photographer.
I don't see much mention of jobs on the forum. I realize most people might be retirees.
I'm not there yet! Is it possible ... are there jobs?

Thanks for your time in advance!

Marguerite

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
I lived in Mexico for 13 years many years ago. I'm thinking of moving to Guanajuato or San Miguel Allende and am wondering is it possible nowadays to get a job in Mexico?
I taught school, worked for an interior decorator, personal assistant .. whatever was possible but always paid a mordida to work.
I am bilingual, have 25 years in the Travel Industry and work part-time as a photographer.
I don't see much mention of jobs on the forum. I realize most people might be retirees.
I'm not there yet! Is it possible ... are there jobs?

Thanks for your time in advance!

Marguerite
It is not easy to find jobs in Mexico. You need a visa with work permission get a job. And you need a job to get a visa with work permission on it. Many people work online without necessarily telling Mexico about it. The travel industry or photography might lend itself to that.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
San Miguel and Guanajuato are basically service industry towns. Even if you get through the ability to work phase, the jobs that you will find pay very little.
I always think it is easier to research the need for and if appropriate, start your own business.
In either San Miguel or Guanajuato you would need to go and have a lot of discussions before proceeding.
There have been a few jobs posted on SMA Civil List such as assistant bookkeeper and assistant hotel manager but have no idea of salaries.

·
Registered
8 Posts
San Miguel and Guanajuato are basically service industry towns. Even if you get through the ability to work phase, the jobs that you will find pay very little.
I always think it is easier to research the need for and if appropriate, start your own business.
In either San Miguel or Guanajuato you would need to go and have a lot of discussions before proceeding.
There have been a few jobs posted on SMA Civil List such as assistant bookkeeper and assistant hotel manager but have no idea of salaries.
I would agree that working a Mexican job with a Mexican company can pay between 6-10 thousand pesos a month (including school teachers). As was stated above, it would be great to talk with people there on the ground who work for Mexican companies. Ideally, working with the ex-pat community in a service capacity could work out well. Once again, legality of it needs to be researched at inm . gob . mx.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't know they had legalities in Mexico.. just kidding!
Working with the ex-pat community or your own business sounds like the way to go.
Thanks for taking the time to answer. Much appreciated.... Marguerite

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.