Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I'm currently living in Canada and looking to find a job in London or the Cambridgeshire area of England. I have canadian citizenship.

I was wondering if anybody has some insight of how difficult it is to find a company willing to sponsor a senior web developper/junior architect with 10 years experience. I work primarily in web application infrastructure for the financial sector.

I speak many languages fluently. English, french, italian and spanish.

I'm really grateful to anyone with recent experience and is happy to share it online.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Companies don't tend to sponsor people, specially from countries where people expect a relatively higher income, your skills would have to be truly exceptional for a company to try, and to be honest there are enough web developers in the UK already, you should also remember we are in a recessive economy, so there are very few jobs and they are being snapped up by the locals (as in residents from all over the world: some of the best IT talent worldwide is already here).

Have you investigated if your ancestry could provide you access to an European passport? That is a common occurrence with Canadians and other Commonwealth people that get British passport because the granny they didn't know happened to be British :) (some others can get Italian, German, Spanish or any other passports by a similar route, that would allow you to work here, or anywhere else in the EU).

This is not to say you shouldn't try, but you have to approach the task with a solid understanding of the challenge you may be facing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about that. My parents are from italy, but when they became Canadian they lost italian citizenship. I was born after. I know people who got italian citizenship through great-grandparents because they never bothered getting citizenship when they left italy.

Thanks anyways

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.