Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am currently living in Pau, but we are planning on moving to Paris in July due to the fact that it seems to be the one place in France where those with English as a native tongue (or American in my case)and not much French have some chance at employment (true??!!).
I worked at Berlitz near l'Opera years ago, but I am wondering if people can give me some idea of what kind of work is out there for those of us that are TRYING to be fairly conversational in French:rolleyes:, speak Spanish well, and English fluently??!!
Also, is there a web site I can go to for SEMI-affordable flat rentals or sublets in Paris that might also fall in a good arr. for schools for my kids?
So much to think about and ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Beth

·
Administrator
51,378 Posts
Even in Paris, I think you're going to have a tough time of finding a job without reasonably fluent French. However, one place to start your searching is the FUSAC - FUSAC - Petites annonces pour anglophones de Paris - a want-ad magazine for the anglophone community in Paris.

Haven't checked lately, but they used to carry job ads for help-desk or telemarketing staff with English and other languages. There are a bunch of ads for PA's with excellent English, but most of those jobs require that you be bi-lingual. In any event, keep checking the website - I'm told the ads there change daily and many of the best jobs/flats/etc don't last long enough to hit the bi-weekly print edition.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even in Paris, I think you're going to have a tough time of finding a job without reasonably fluent French. However, one place to start your searching is the FUSAC - FUSAC - Petites annonces pour anglophones de Paris - a want-ad magazine for the anglophone community in Paris.

Haven't checked lately, but they used to carry job ads for help-desk or telemarketing staff with English and other languages. There are a bunch of ads for PA's with excellent English, but most of those jobs require that you be bi-lingual. In any event, keep checking the website - I'm told the ads there change daily and many of the best jobs/flats/etc don't last long enough to hit the bi-weekly print edition.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks, Bev.
I am assuming my conversational French may help as the only way to become close to fluent (I will never truly be bilingual at my old age!) is to LIVE HERE and keep working on it.
It is a catch 22 as the best way to improve is to be out there using it, but without a job or some link to the community it is very difficult to improve.
I look at the Fusac site often, but thought I'd try this more personal angle to see if there is anything that just "comes my way":eek:--why not?!!
What do you do?!
Cheers,
Beth

·
Administrator
51,378 Posts
Hi Beth,
I admit, I cheated. My husband set up his own company shortly after we got married. (Hey, he married an MBA-CPA and never bothered to consider that I had NO experience with French taxes!) I've been "directeur financier" since the beginning, but couldn't put myself on the payroll until my immigration problems were sorted.

Depending on what sort of background your have, you should check out the websites for the OECD and UNESCO. It's not easy to get hired on there - and you need to claim at least some working knowledge of French - but they are definitely the "prestige" jobs to aspire to in Paris and you definitely need the English. I managed a two-month gig one time at the OECD - incredibly overpaid for what I actually did (no harm in that), but from where I live the commute was simply too much.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
51,378 Posts
Hi Beth,
Actually, I don't live in Paris - I'm out to the south in deepest, darkest Essonne. Not the greatest public transit links out this way, which was what made the commute so tough.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
8 Posts
By far the best resources I have found so far for Anglophones looking for wok in Paris have been 'FUSAC' and 'Job Hunt Paris'.

And yes, the OECD and UNESCO pay incredibly well if you manage to score a job there...

·
Banned
69 Posts
pap.fr for logement, to speak French best way is to join a group example painting, or walking, and make friends. The problem I had learning French was that everyone speaks or tries to speak English to you. You have to be persistant, if you are with a family and your partner is English speaker it is more difficult because you can fall into the trap of speaking English all the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.