Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Basically, I've been long-distance with my boyfriend since the end of August last year when I left Dijon after spending 3.5 months there as part of my year abroad. We got together 3 weeks before I left to come back for my final year at university, and have visited each other a few times in between. We've never really made any set decisions on the future but recently it's all come to a head a couple of months before my graduation - he's decided he couldn't leave France, so basically unless I move to Dijon to give things a go, it's over.

My concern is work...I've always been quite career-focused but I think Dijon would limit me to working in bars or hotels or restaurants where they need English-speaking people, but nothing more than that that's gonna earn me big money. I'm toying with the idea of just thinking 'what the hell' and booking a flight out, but no return flight, just to see how things to between us...it's tough because we've only spent 9 consecutive days together since I left, and you can't agree to move your life to France forever based on 9 days of it being great. We could live together for a month and want to kill each other.

So, long story short, anyone that's been in the same situation or anyone that has general advice on what you'd do, where you'd look for work etc. it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks! :)

·
Administrator
51,572 Posts
OK, the first big consideration is where you're coming from. If it's the UK or Ireland, then at least you have the right to live (and work) in France without having to jump through the visa hoop. If it's outside the EU, then it's the visa that will stand in your way.

But assuming the visa is out of the way, finding any sort of work is going to depend on your having at least a conversational level of French. There really are very few jobs over here (even in a big city like Paris) that are English-only, and most of those involve people who have been transferred in by their current (usually long-term) employers.

You say that you're career-focused. What is the status of your line of work in France? Do you need to be certified or licensed? Do you need specific training (in French)? That may be one way to move here and find an acceptable career. (Then again, can you pursue your chosen line of work in and around Dijon?)

On the other hand, if your boyfriend is adamant about not wanting to even consider moving from Dijon - even if it means being able to be with you longer term - you want to evaluate that condition. You're not ready to get married yet, but are you ready to toss your career plans for him?
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I think it's rather telling that we seldom read of this situation the other way around. French guy says 'my girlfriend is adamant that she won't leave the UK, so unless I move there it's over. I hope I can get a French speaking job'.

I think it's very unfair of him to put it this way, and you need to consider if you're going to receive ultimatums later on, on other matters. How you dress, who you should hang out with, and so on.

OK, that's enough gratuitous personal advice that you probably don't want to hear. If you're going to move to France, you're going to have to become partly French. You really need to learn the language to a good degree. As said above, without French you won't have a career. Deciding now to abandon any chance of a serious, fulfilling career is a heck of a big decision, so think carefully. Or really knuckle down and learn French and see if you can use your education and experience to forge a career.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts