Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am wondering if a job search (monster or the like) would assist in the process? If I put any replies from say monster in with all other evidence...would that help or just show that ...oh yay i can get on monster???

Also have been reading everones threads...is a 6month pay slip and bank account neccessary??? he will be going back to the uk once we hear that we are no longer going to be working here at the hotel (i get a 4 month notice..phew) and i was hoping that maybe 3 months would be sufficiant? any thoughts?.

and the biometric scan doesnt cost anything does it? they send you to that once you start the visa process correct? i am just now fixing to file for my passport so i have a while yet but am now starting to get my mound of paperwork in.

I have my hubby (illegal) on my bank statement only if I die, because he doesnt have a social securtiy number...will that work? Also I can provide MY last 3 years of payslips...will that be sufficiant?-and bank statements....
He has an account in uk, but there hasnt been anything going in or out for the last year. Could we still use that?It has a small amount in it (2k)?

I also read that its frowned upon to show that you will be living with parents or family, however...that is what we plan to do. Of course its not permenant, but would it be better to say we will be paying rent (which we will) or that they are not going to charge us rent so taht our money can be geared towards getting our own apartment???
sorry for the random questions...my brain is getting fried!:confused2:

·
Administrator
49,456 Posts
Whoa there - your questions are kind of running together and I'm not at all sure what you're asking.

OK, as far as using Monster or any other job site to look for work: it's very doubtful anyone will hire you sight unseen based on just an online application. At a minimum, they are going to want to meet you in person before taking a decision.

There's also the little matter that "most" jobs posted on Monster and similar sites are intended for people who already have work permission in the UK (or whatever other country the jobs are in). You need to make sure that you indicate somewhere in the process what your status is (i.e. that you have applied for your spousal visa, or whatever is going on) and your estimated date of availability and/or arrival in the area. If they are not absolutely certain that you have the right to work in the UK, they will simply ignore your application.

All the bank statement questions are kind of unclear. I assume this is for your visa application. If they ask for 6 months, they want 6 months' pay slips, if available. If you don't have 6 months' worth, you have to give an explanation of why you don't have 6 months worth of pay slips.

As Fatbrit often says, you want to respond to just what they ask you for and to offer no more and no less. If they are asking for a joint bank account statement, give them that with no mention of why or how your husband's name is on the account. (Believe me, the UK government doesn't care about your social security number or whether or not he has one.)

Don't get too concerned about the matter of living with your in-laws. You'd have a better case if your husband had a job and a flat all lined up for you to move into, but he doesn't, so you go with what you have. As long as your in-laws can confirm that they are willing to have you live there (with or without rent), it's another point in your favor that you at least have their support.

But what is this biometric thing you've been asking about? Is it your US passport? Or is it something for your visa? Last time I checked, a US passport costs about $90 to renew. If you're getting a passport for the first time, it'll cost a little more.

Keep us advised on your progress.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoa there - your questions are kind of running together and I'm not at all sure what you're asking.

OK, as far as using Monster or any other job site to look for work: it's very doubtful anyone will hire you sight unseen based on just an online application. At a minimum, they are going to want to meet you in person before taking a decision.

There's also the little matter that "most" jobs posted on Monster and similar sites are intended for people who already have work permission in the UK (or whatever other country the jobs are in). You need to make sure that you indicate somewhere in the process what your status is (i.e. that you have applied for your spousal visa, or whatever is going on) and your estimated date of availability and/or arrival in the area. If they are not absolutely certain that you have the right to work in the UK, they will simply ignore your application.

All the bank statement questions are kind of unclear. I assume this is for your visa application. If they ask for 6 months, they want 6 months' pay slips, if available. If you don't have 6 months' worth, you have to give an explanation of why you don't have 6 months worth of pay slips.

As Fatbrit often says, you want to respond to just what they ask you for and to offer no more and no less. If they are asking for a joint bank account statement, give them that with no mention of why or how your husband's name is on the account. (Believe me, the UK government doesn't care about your social security number or whether or not he has one.)

Don't get too concerned about the matter of living with your in-laws. You'd have a better case if your husband had a job and a flat all lined up for you to move into, but he doesn't, so you go with what you have. As long as your in-laws can confirm that they are willing to have you live there (with or without rent), it's another point in your favor that you at least have their support.

But what is this biometric thing you've been asking about? Is it your US passport? Or is it something for your visa? Last time I checked, a US passport costs about $90 to renew. If you're getting a passport for the first time, it'll cost a little more.

Keep us advised on your progress.
Cheers,
Bev
bev-
omg so sorry..i was just reading and reading and had to get the questions out.
ok-Im not sure when they ask for all of this...durin the visa process...im just trying to get prepared.I dont know if they ask for 3,6,9 or how many months of evidence. Of course the goal is minimal amount of time apart.So that is why i am curious as to the actuall amount of months the officers want to see...and how much i can get away with not having hubby around ;)

1. with the bankstatements, i was reading threads that ppl have posted, and most say they provided 6 months of statement (payslip and account)...so i was wondering if they would have to see his (in the uk) or mine (in the us). I can provide mine no prob...but he isnt even over there yet, and i was hoping that maybe a few months..2 or 3 at the max would suffice. and with him not being on the account ( i cant get him on there because he doesnt have a social security number) he is listed as emergency contact only...and beneficiary if i was to die.I was asking if that was sufficient.

2. i had read a thread about a person in my same position (except the hubby was in uk and not illegal) and she was in the usa getting her passport to start the visa process. She had gotten a regular run of the mill passport, and then started her visa process and all of a sudden had to get a new passport with a biometric chip in it..i was wondering if im to request one...or just get a regular one and hope that doesnt happen to me....$100 each you see?

3.The monster thing...I was asking if (yer i realize they wont hire me) but...if i am activly seeking employement and perhaps say i get 3 emails saying "Thank you for your interest..blah blah blah but we need to interview you"...would printing them off and sending them in to atleast show i am searching help out ?

again, am sorry for the mush of info...i just get more worried everytime i come on here...so many different senarios and so far no one has had an illegal hubby and tryin to do the visa and its hard for them!am just imagining how it will be for me!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bev-
omg so sorry..i was just reading and reading and had to get the questions out.
ok-Im not sure when they ask for all of this...durin the visa process...im just trying to get prepared.I dont know if they ask for 3,6,9 or how many months of evidence. Of course the goal is minimal amount of time apart.So that is why i am curious as to the actuall amount of months the officers want to see...and how much i can get away with not having hubby around ;)

1. with the bankstatements, i was reading threads that ppl have posted, and most say they provided 6 months of statement (payslip and account)...so i was wondering if they would have to see his (in the uk) or mine (in the us). I can provide mine no prob...but he isnt even over there yet, and i was hoping that maybe a few months..2 or 3 at the max would suffice. and with him not being on the account ( i cant get him on there because he doesnt have a social security number) he is listed as emergency contact only...and beneficiary if i was to die.I was asking if that was sufficient.

2. i had read a thread about a person in my same position (except the hubby was in uk and not illegal) and she was in the usa getting her passport to start the visa process. She had gotten a regular run of the mill passport, and then started her visa process and all of a sudden had to get a new passport with a biometric chip in it..i was wondering if im to request one...or just get a regular one and hope that doesnt happen to me....$100 each you see?

3.The monster thing...I was asking if (yer i realize they wont hire me) but...if i am activly seeking employement and perhaps say i get 3 emails saying "Thank you for your interest..blah blah blah but we need to interview you"...would printing them off and sending them in to atleast show i am searching help out ?

again, am sorry for the mush of info...i just get more worried everytime i come on here...so many different senarios and so far no one has had an illegal hubby and tryin to do the visa and its hard for them!am just imagining how it will be for me!
oh and i just called the bank and i will get him on the account tomorrow...so i thought if i could get his account in england...we can start sending money there that way there is activity on it.!!! and then even if he only has a job for a while he will have plenty of activity on his bank!!!!

·
Administrator
49,456 Posts
OK, take a deep breath and think through your visa application.

To be honest about it, you'd be in a far better position if your DH would get his butt back to the UK and start looking for work. What they are looking for is evidence that he can support you and keep you off the dole. Given that you have been supporting the two of you this past year, they're going to look to see that you are likely to be able to find work once you get there - but him having a job and being in a position where he could at least start looking for a flat for you both would really help your case.

And it will do your case more good for HIM to have even some potential jobs in the pipeline than for you to have letters or e-mails from jobs you've applied for on Monster - since it's very unlikely you'll receive any sort of response until your work status in the UK is resolved.

If your in-laws are offering to sponsor you, be very very nice to them. It's a big plus (and a way of proving that you didn't get married just to get you into the country).

You're trying to show the authorities in the UK that this is a legitimate marriage and that you're a responsible person, capable of holding down a job and taking care of yourself (and your husband) and that he's willing and able to take care of you.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, take a deep breath and think through your visa application.

To be honest about it, you'd be in a far better position if your DH would get his butt back to the UK and start looking for work. What they are looking for is evidence that he can support you and keep you off the dole. Given that you have been supporting the two of you this past year, they're going to look to see that you are likely to be able to find work once you get there - but him having a job and being in a position where he could at least start looking for a flat for you both would really help your case.

And it will do your case more good for HIM to have even some potential jobs in the pipeline than for you to have letters or e-mails from jobs you've applied for on Monster - since it's very unlikely you'll receive any sort of response until your work status in the UK is resolved.

If your in-laws are offering to sponsor you, be very very nice to them. It's a big plus (and a way of proving that you didn't get married just to get you into the country).

You're trying to show the authorities in the UK that this is a legitimate marriage and that you're a responsible person, capable of holding down a job and taking care of yourself (and your husband) and that he's willing and able to take care of you.
Cheers,
Bev
yes mam,
ok, the reason he isnt there yet is because 1. the hotel i work for is most likely going to sell. we live rent free here, and once it sells the new owners will move in and us out. i get a 3 month notice, at that time we will send him home. during that time i am hoping he will secure a job and once he does, i will start the visa process. his parents said they will do whatever it takes to get us there, so phew for that!
i think we are quite worried about him finding work! before he left he had only been a bartender and a wharehouse forklift operator....as for me ..being a hotel manager for 4+years..idk if there is something for me either!
bev you have been such a help over the last year! i appreciate all your help!
i think it will be soon maybe in the next 3 months or so that we will get our notice..so i think its coming round the corner.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ugh they wouldnt let me put him on my bank account..so all he is is still a beneficiary...grrr

·
Registered
84 Posts
Slow down.

You seem to be running way too fast as a reaction to the hotel closing.

1. Why is he illegal? Is he not in the USA on a sponsored visa?
2. The best he can do is to GET BACK TO UK. Seriously. Other posts you say you can't be without him, but his staying in USA is jeopardizing your future. He needs to get back to UK and sort EVERYTHING. He needs to get a place to live, a job and start getting you on his accounts. He needs to get you on his council tax and bank account statements. HE not YOU needs to prove joint lives for and in the UK. All the running around in the USA is not necessary for the UK Spouse Visa. The British government needs to see that you will not take from the government by giving you this spouse visa. So HE needs to get to UK and make that path, and it can take some months up to a year to prove he'll (or his parents) have what it takes to keep you off the benefits rolls.
3. Unsure of the whole passport thing. I know I have a passport that is on the cusp of 9 years old (pre 9-11) and they did not require me in the least to change out to the new chipped passports. Never mentioned in the least. If this is your first passport, then so be it. If you have an old one, who told you that you have to swap it out?
4. If you are talking about the biometrics for the spouse visa, they cost nothing. However, you are quite ahead of the process to worry about that right now.
5. I don't think your wait will be on the British Embassy deciding for (or against) your application, it will be the time needed to prove a successful application. My now husband and I started in January 2009. This included me going onto this council tax bill, bank accounts, insurances, will, announcements into paper of our pending marriage (or marriage in your case), things like that. In mid June 2009, after TWO DAYS of submitting our paperwork, my visa was placed into my circa 2000 passport (with non laminated photo, no less! Came from US Embassy abroad). Job done.
6. Might want to re-think the living with in-laws. Might be fine until you both get on your feet, but I cannot stress enough that your husband should get back over to UK and get your new life moving.

I wonder if your wanting to show you are trying to get a job as a present USC isn't a smart move. British jobs are for those with the documentation with right to work here. Last thing you want a visa application ajudicator to think if that you are moving to UK just to get a job. You have to prove intent for a good reason (like having a family, building a future in Britain with your family, etc.) Plus the agencies will bin your application once they see you are not eligible to work here. Don't worry, as a hotel manager, you will find something when you get here.

We paid $200 for an agent known to the British Embassy we used. (We probably didn't need him, but were so freaked out about the process and wait time.) He was very clear that the Embassies have NO desire to see shoddy applications, and clear, concise, easy to read, non-rambling and succinct proof of WHY your husband has asked you to make a life in UK is the golden ticket. He organized what we needed to do and asked enough questions so that if the visa application examiner had a question, the agent was called first. In other words, the agent knew what he was doing, and knew the folks well enough to know what they'd ask for. In our case, we well proved our attempts to have a child (a new British citizen, we half-joked) - so all they wanted to see was a certified copy of my husband's passport and his original birth certificate. Done. In fact they told the agent this PRIOR to our sending the application, so we got those last minute couriered over to US and submitted on Friday afternoon. Visa was pasted into my non-chipped passport on tuesday morning.

Relax and breathe girl! It will take a little time and you guys actually have that.

Why won't your husband go back over to get this started?

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I've never got to the bottom of this one, either. The spouse of a US citizen can apply to adjust status to permanent residency if already in the US provided they entered properly, i.e. they didn't jump the fence.

On a VWP entry -- and more so after the I-94W has expired -- there's a risk of denial and removal without judicial overview. But thousands do it and are successful. Worth a go if they want to remain in the US.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You seem to be running way too fast as a reaction to the hotel closing.

2. The best he can do is to GET BACK TO UK. Seriously. Other posts you say you can't be without him, but his staying in USA is jeopardizing your future. He needs to get back to UK and sort EVERYTHING. He needs to get a place to live, a job and start getting you on his accounts. He needs to get you on his council tax and bank account statements. HE not YOU needs to prove joint lives for and in the UK. All the running around in the USA is not necessary for the UK Spouse Visa. The British government needs to see that you will not take from the government by giving you this spouse visa. So HE needs to get to UK and make that path, and it can take some months up to a year to prove he'll (or his parents) have what it takes to keep you off the benefits rolls.
3. Unsure of the whole passport thing. I know I have a passport that is on the cusp of 9 years old (pre 9-11) and they did not require me in the least to change out to the new chipped passports. Never mentioned in the least. If this is your first passport, then so be it. If you have an old one, who told you that you have to swap it out?
4. If you are talking about the biometrics for the spouse visa, they cost nothing. However, you are quite ahead of the process to worry about that right now.
5. I don't think your wait will be on the British Embassy deciding for (or against) your application, it will be the time needed to prove a successful application. My now husband and I started in January 2009. This included me going onto this council tax bill, bank accounts, insurances, will, announcements into paper of our pending marriage (or marriage in your case), things like that. In mid June 2009, after TWO DAYS of submitting our paperwork, my visa was placed into my circa 2000 passport (with non laminated photo, no less! Came from US Embassy abroad). Job done.
6. Might want to re-think the living with in-laws. Might be fine until you both get on your feet, but I cannot stress enough that your husband should get back over to UK and get your new life moving.

I wonder if your wanting to show you are trying to get a job as a present USC isn't a smart move. British jobs are for those with the documentation with right to work here. Last thing you want a visa application ajudicator to think if that you are moving to UK just to get a job. You have to prove intent for a good reason (like having a family, building a future in Britain with your family, etc.) Plus the agencies will bin your application once they see you are not eligible to work here. Don't worry, as a hotel manager, you will find something when you get here.

We paid $200 for an agent known to the British Embassy we used. (We probably didn't need him, but were so freaked out about the process and wait time.) He was very clear that the Embassies have NO desire to see shoddy applications, and clear, concise, easy to read, non-rambling and succinct proof of WHY your husband has asked you to make a life in UK is the golden ticket. He organized what we needed to do and asked enough questions so that if the visa application examiner had a question, the agent was called first. In other words, the agent knew what he was doing, and knew the folks well enough to know what they'd ask for. In our case, we well proved our attempts to have a child (a new British citizen, we half-joked) - so all they wanted to see was a certified copy of my husband's passport and his original birth certificate. Done. In fact they told the agent this PRIOR to our sending the application, so we got those last minute couriered over to US and submitted on Friday afternoon. Visa was pasted into my non-chipped passport on tuesday morning.

Relax and breathe girl! It will take a little time and you guys actually have that.

Why won't your husband go back over to get this started?

Good luck!!!
Its not that he wont go back, we dont want to be a apart. As im sure everyone understands that...
Yes it will be my first time passport. We just really want to know why he cant stay here while i apply if we have some savings. We can send it to his uk account.
He is illegal because he just used his passport to get here, was only allowed 90 days on his passport to stay. And he has been here 2 years.
The hotel is my home, once I am with out my home we planned on just going to the uk. Because I will be unable (small town) to support us and I have nothing keeping me here. I dont see how i can get onto his accounts with out any sort of visa number or what ever is required over there.
With the job thing, i was just trying to see if it would help because i do have a (small) skill set and that there are jobs over there that I could apply for.
You paid an agent only $200?? where do i find this type?

am defo trying to relax.But this seems to be a neverending worry. I just want to be with my husband and live and work. We never had intentions of staying permenantly here int he usa, we just had a good thing going with no rent, no bills etc and once the good thing ended we wanted to start our life in the uk

thanks for your help!
pepper

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
He is illegal because he just used his passport to get here, was only allowed 90 days on his passport to stay. And he has been here 2 years.
Could have been here 20 years out of status....and you can still apply for him to adjust status to permanent resident.

[Note: you cannot pull this trick when emigrating to the UK. ]

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could have been here 20 years out of status....and you can still apply for him to adjust status to permanent resident.

[Note: you cannot pull this trick when emigrating to the UK. ]
but we arent going to stay in america.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.