Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Freinds,

Hows the job outsourcing scene in Australia? Perticularly IT Jobs outsourcing to countries like India or China.

Is it as bad as US? Are there any laws in Australia to prevent it or its open like US. In US more they outsource more they can cut the cost & save more money on taxes.

Is it really BAD in oz??

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Eva:

It depends on the type of job. The following types are outsourced to India (not so much to China):

QA
Development
Technical Support

There are no laws to prevent this, but AU does have stronger labour laws that if you lay off a person (called retrenched here) you do have to pay them some additional money.

BAD is such a subjective word so I can't say it's BAD. It just happens here as well.

Freinds,

Hows the job outsourcing scene in Australia? Perticularly IT Jobs outsourcing to countries like India or China.

Is it as bad as US? Are there any laws in Australia to prevent it or its open like US. In US more they outsource more they can cut the cost & save more money on taxes.

Is it really BAD in oz??

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BAD in terms of - Replace local labor with offshore labor for cost cutting or cost saving ....

Hi Eva:

It depends on the type of job. The following types are outsourced to India (not so much to China):

QA
Development
Technical Support

There are no laws to prevent this, but AU does have stronger labour laws that if you lay off a person (called retrenched here) you do have to pay them some additional money.

BAD is such a subjective word so I can't say it's BAD. It just happens here as well.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Yes, they do that. But that's not considered unusual or BAD. Not every company and not at any one time. Depends if the local business considers it worthwhile. My company has sent some functions to India but also done hiring locally as they have found they need to do both.

BAD in terms of - Replace local labor with offshore labor for cost cutting or cost saving ....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts