Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have 4 years of experience as Java/J2EE/Web-Service developer. My experience involves working for Banking(Credit Card) and Stock Market (Trading applications).

Please advice me the job opportunities(Java/J2EE) in Australia, as I am planning to apply immigration to Australia

Also, Please let me know...What kind of details should I mention in CV and in Reference letter.

Thanks and Regards,
Ashu.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you try looking in seek.au?
Thanks for your reply Wander_Lust.

I am applying for PR Visa in next few months but before that I wanted to check whether is it worth to spend this much. Do we have enough opportunity for java developer with 4+ years of exp in Australia.

I am little worried as I read in few threads employers in Australia prefer people with prior local exp. Can I take a risk of spending 2500$ on Visa, quit my current job and come to Australia.

Experience expat please provide your valuable suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Guys,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but IT work especially in the banking sector saw massive job cuts in Australia over the last year. With a lot of jobs sent overseas.

I work in the IT sector in Australia depending on which state you are planning to move to there will be a lot of local applicants especially in Queensland as the government recently let go of a lot of ICT workers.

Sydney and Melbourne are not much better. There is more work in Canberra for IT related jobs atm but a lot of people do not wish to move there, these however are also mostly government jobs which require Australian PR or Citizenship.

If you are looking for a employer to sponsor you immigration you might have a hard time unless you have qualifications which are recognised by Australian employers even then it will be very hard without local exp. Most jobs I have seen require PR status as well.

Sorry if this is not the reply you were hoping for. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but IT work especially in the banking sector saw massive job cuts in Australia over the last year. With a lot of jobs sent overseas.

I work in the IT sector in Australia depending on which state you are planning to move to there will be a lot of local applicants especially in Queensland as the government recently let go of a lot of ICT workers.

Sydney and Melbourne are not much better. There is more work in Canberra for IT related jobs atm but a lot of people do not wish to move there, these however are also mostly government jobs which require Australian PR or Citizenship.

If you are looking for a employer to sponsor you immigration you might have a hard time unless you have qualifications which are recognised by Australian employers even then it will be very hard without local exp. Most jobs I have seen require PR status as well.

Sorry if this is not the reply you were hoping for. :(
Thanks Liekr for your reply.

Any other senior member want to share their views on this who is working in Java / J2ee, it would be of great help.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks Liekr for your reply.

Any other senior member want to share their views on this who is working in Java / J2ee, it would be of great help.

Thanks a lot.
I have 7+ years of experience in Java and I am currently on notice period of my current job. So basically I have stepped into the "Risk" boat and I am planning to move to AU by December end or early January. Not sure how much time will I have to spend trying to find a job. Fingers crossed for job offers ...:-|

Regards,
A

·
Registered
113 Posts
Java market is not so good here...most of the companies prefer .Net than java...at least that's what I heard from the recruitment consultants when I was searching a job in java...

I was also having 6 years of solid experience in java...but couldn't grab a job in java...even after applying for a month, I didn't get an interview call...

Then I tried to search for a job in Oracle SOA Suite in which I have around 1.5 years of experience...and within a week I got a call from a big company and then selected for a permanent position.

You know what...there are plenty of jobs here...but it depends what skill set you have...if your skill set is hot...you will get a job very soon...otherwise you have to wait for the right opportunity...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Java market is not so good here...most of the companies prefer .Net than java...at least that's what I heard from the recruitment consultants when I was searching a job in java...

I was also having 6 years of solid experience in java...but couldn't grab a job in java...even after applying for a month, I didn't get an interview call...

Then I tried to search for a job in Oracle SOA Suite in which I have around 1.5 years of experience...and within a week I got a call from a big company and then selected for a permanent position.

You know what...there are plenty of jobs here...but it depends what skill set you have...if your skill set is hot...you will get a job very soon...otherwise you have to wait for the right opportunity...
It is nice to hear this msarkar. I have 2 years experience in both .Net and Java. I have also 10 years experience in Delphi, although I know Delphi is rarely used these days.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Thanks msarkar!! Basically all Java guys have to struggle a lot and that sort of gives me a scare :(.

-A

·
Registered
396 Posts

Would you guys have any insight on opportunities for Ruby/Rails developers?

·
Registered
114 Posts

To msarkar and other java guys....

I think that it's a generalized statement that .Net is preferred over Java.

As in .net also only C#/VB is not everything, other things like wcf, wpf, sharepoint etc are required to get a good job....i think same things hold good for Java also....core java jobs should be very less in number than others where a combination of java related stuffs are required.

In fact few months back when I searched java in Seek and then searched .net, I could see that Java was giving double number of results than .net.

It should all depends on what kind of skill set combination you got...only a single technology wouldnt take you far I think.

So, may be market is bad overall for all or there could be a little edge for .net.
But i dont think anyone should try to change the line of technology for this and that too after 5-6 yrs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have 7+ years of experience in Java and I am currently on notice period of my current job. So basically I have stepped into the "Risk" boat and I am planning to move to AU by December end or early January. Not sure how much time will I have to spend trying to find a job. Fingers crossed for job offers ...:-|

Regards,
A
Have you reached?How is the job situation. I have similar experience in Java. Please let me know the situation there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have you reached?How is the job situation. I have similar experience in Java. Please let me know the situation there.
Hi Guys,
I have 4 and a half years experience in Java /J2ee(specializing in Java server faces JSF).Planning to visit australia soon!! lets hope for the best!! Guys please pour in with your views!

·
Registered
396 Posts
msarkar_expat said:

Then I tried to search for a job in Orai cle SOA Suite in which I have around 1.5 years of experience...and within a week I got a call from a big company and then selected for a permanent position.

I totally agree with you. I m a Ruby developer with over 5 years exp in Ruby on Rails. I got PR in end feb and i could secure a job been offshore exactly in a minths time from then. I moved to Sydney ion the 29th april and started work today. Ruby is in so much demand. Have a solid linkedin profile, subscribe to forums.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts