Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am an IT project manager with 10 years of experience willing to migrate to Australia together with my wife and kids. I am below 45, my skills are in the SOL list, I pass the points test.

Currently I am confused what to do next:
1) look for employees willing to manage an employee sponsored visa for me? Where to find them? Is this option really working for IT project management vacancies?
2) apply for Skilled Migrants Visa (175)? Apply for job vacancies after getting my visa? Are employers typically open to use videoconferencing and similar technologies to negotiate without seeing candidate at place?

In addition to all this, more general questions and concerns:
- are there good chances for IT project manager to find a job? Is there a shortage at all?
- what are the largest employers in the industry in Australia?
- is it better idea to contact potential employers directly with general inquires or just to respond to all appropriate vacancies at largest recruitment portals?

Thank you very much in advance for all thoughts and experiences that might be useful!

G

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi G

welcome to the forum

first and foremost, check the Please read sticky threads on top of the threads page, it has a lot of info that will come handy

1. if u want to look for employer, it isnt impossible but yes, difficult. specially now that recession has hit AU as well. you can check the job portals and mail every advertised job, u never know if something comes back positive. This option though works more for skills like doctors, nurses.. I doubt it will work for IT manager position

2. u can get ur skill assessed, apply for 175 or get state sponsorship (which is 176 subclass), I think your skill would be in demand list fro ACT and get in faster thn 175 takes, but if u r in CSL then u dont need sponsorship. CSL is as good as state sponsorship..

3. I can comment if there really is shortage fr IT project managers. M still not in AU

4. Largest employers are IT, Mining industry was booming till sometime back and Construction industry which is again down since recession, I must have missed other industries too. Someone will get back with better stats. But if u see the job portals, most vacancies are for Nurses, Doctors, IT & T and COnstruction and Mining till sometime back.

You can google Hays and check the statistics if u need real figures.

Hope this helps, not a detailed reply but for anything else, give us a shout

cheers
a

·
Registered
79 Posts
The only shortage is for PM jobs. I landed in Melbourne a couple of weeks back and its a very difficult situation. I am a PMP certified Senior Projects Manager but no recruiter is willing to touch me. Its always "Local experience" or something else. Only one recruiter admitted that the current market for project management is very dull.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Current prospects for IT Project Managers

The only shortage is for PM jobs. I landed in Melbourne a couple of weeks back and its a very difficult situation. I am a PMP certified Senior Projects Manager but no recruiter is willing to touch me. Its always "Local experience" or something else. Only one recruiter admitted that the current market for project management is very dull.
cdpothen, I am at a very initial stage in applying for an Australian Visa. Just wanted to get your opinion on the current prospects for IT Project Managers in Australia?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Kris,

Current prospects are not very good for experienced IT project manager from outside Australia unless he/she has delivered some projects in Australia. Even local PMs with lots of experience are finding it very hard to find contracts/jobs and are frequenting PMI chapters to network. There have been layoffs and contract finishes for PMs in Dec without renewals in Jan so the market is tight and saturated now with many PMs looking for jobs. I have anyway left project management although I was passionate about it and am now focusing on the technical role that I was able to get. If you see Seek, you will see plenty of opportunities but whether we can get there is the question. They focus too much on whether you have done exactly the same kind of work before and don't look for a person who can adapt to new domain and technology. The latter kind of resource is what we prize in India for our projects. The thing is you can never know. You might be lucky to crack it like Amittal in the very first interview. So research more about it and take a decision.

cdpothen, I am at a very initial stage in applying for an Australian Visa. Just wanted to get your opinion on the current prospects for IT Project Managers in Australia?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Kris,

Current prospects are not very good for experienced IT project manager from outside Australia unless he/she has delivered some projects in Australia. Even local PMs with lots of experience are finding it very hard to find contracts/jobs and are frequenting PMI chapters to network. There have been layoffs and contract finishes for PMs in Dec without renewals in Jan so the market is tight and saturated now with many PMs looking for jobs. I have anyway left project management although I was passionate about it and am now focusing on the technical role that I was able to get. If you see Seek, you will see plenty of opportunities but whether we can get there is the question. They focus too much on whether you have done exactly the same kind of work before and don't look for a person who can adapt to new domain and technology. The latter kind of resource is what we prize in India for our projects. The thing is you can never know. You might be lucky to crack it like Amittal in the very first interview. So research more about it and take a decision.
Thanks for the information and caution, cdpothen. Appreciate the insight. I guess I will look at the current opportunities and see if there are any suiting my profile.

Good day!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Kris,

Hi CD,

Thanks for reply some time back. I have already received my PR and planning to visit Australia for the first visit and PR activation. Also want to use the opportunity to apply for job (PM role). It appears you had to settle for a much lower role.
If its fine with you sharing with a fellow Indian, can you share the best practices to hit the nail on the head. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also is it a death knell for PM like us who want to move to similar PM roles? Is a downgrade inevitable due to the ongoing situation?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
Ben

·
Banned
231 Posts
Hi Ben ; Hi CD; Hi KRIS

Hi CD,

Thanks for reply some time back. I have already received my PR and planning to visit Australia for the first visit and PR activation. Also want to use the opportunity to apply for job (PM role). It appears you had to settle for a much lower role.
If its fine with you sharing with a fellow Indian, can you share the best practices to hit the nail on the head. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also is it a death knell for PM like us who want to move to similar PM roles? Is a downgrade inevitable due to the ongoing situation?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
Ben

Hi Ben ; Hi CD; Hi KRIS;
Thought that this is one topic - where I should surely add my experience on -

Although I am not originally from PM work exp - and also that I am not PMP certified {I am actually more from a Release Manager / Change Manager ITIL work exp background} - - I did a fair bit of research - via all the Recruiters' network + usual Job-Sites such as SEEK, CareerOne and also LinkedIn ....

What I have observed is that - there are very few PM job-postings actively OPEN at any given time ..... They do get listed once every now and then - but they are one in 100s actually .... and YES - there is always that "Australian Experience" factor .....

I do get a feeling that - at present ; it might be wise/prudent - not to wait just for a One-To-One JOB-Mapping of a PM in INDIA to a PM job designate in OZ land
Bcos --- the usually successful PM candidates - might have to wait for a considerable period of time - till they get upto a Job Offer of PM equivalent in OZ land - that too if they want that to be their 1st JOB in OZ .....

--- Pronto Pronto .... :( :(
My sincere apologies - if in case my Post Above - is sounding too harsh or too negative ..... I just wanted to speak my mind about this Guys ....
Pls. dont take it to heart.

Wishing every1 here - GOOD LUCK .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts