Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
As an introduction, we've been in the UK for the last 6 years.
We're both Europeans. Our 1st son is born in Australia and our 2nd in England.
Recently I've received a job offer from a US Company based near Port St Lucie.
Before accepting the offer, we would like to make sure it's a good decision as it will involve the whole family.

We are wondering if anybody could offer us some advice as to the quality of live around Port St Lucie ?
Where would it be best to move for a family with young kids ? I don't mind driving if it allows us to have the best school and safe surroundings for the family.
My work would be west of Port St Lucie.

Our budget should be around 100k/year before taxes.
Can we expect a good school and decent rent for this budget ?

Any other advice ?
Thanks in advance for your help.:)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Google the local school district. You may have to use the county for your your search. It should give you some details. Your residence address determins the school the kids attend.

Just FYI - FL does not have state income tax.

What you consider safe and good depends on your needs and wants. Hard to say. Commute gets old after a while. Consider the amount of time you really want to spend on the road twice a day/every day not to mention that US work ethic/expectancies do not mean an 8 hour day. Will you rent or buy?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Google the local school district. You may have to use the county for your your search. It should give you some details. Your residence address determins the school the kids attend.

Just FYI - FL does not have state income tax.

What you consider safe and good depends on your needs and wants. Hard to say. Commute gets old after a while. Consider the amount of time you really want to spend on the road twice a day/every day not to mention that US work ethic/expectancies do not mean an 8 hour day. Will you rent or buy?

Thanks.
We are looking at some of these websites.
Thought to ask if some people had a direct experience with some of the local schools. Sometimes you get "sold" something from wbesite or even people involved in an organization while it's far from reality.

Right now I commute on the Tube for 45-60 min mornings and evenings. On a pack train so driving doesn't worry me.
I prefer to put my family in a nice area even if I have to commute more and pay a bit more.
At my current job, 8 hours is the minimum. On paper it is the norm, but in practice it never is.
One thing I will check is holidays. Right now I have 28 days/year including bank holidays. I will need these to be able to enjoy some time with my family and do some travels.

At first we are planning to rent. I think it's better and less risky as we don't know anything about Florida.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Thanks.
We are looking at some of these websites.
Thought to ask if some people had a direct experience with some of the local schools. Sometimes you get "sold" something from wbesite or even people involved in an organization while it's far from reality.
@@@Public schools are regulated entities and publish pertinent information such as passing/graduating numbers and rating.

Right now I commute on the Tube for 45-60 min mornings and evenings. On a pack train so driving doesn't worry me.
@@@What is a pack train? Remember - there is no public transportation just rush hour traffic jams. white knuckle brigade versus commuter:>)

I prefer to put my family in a nice area even if I have to commute more and pay a bit more.
@@@Spend the first week or two in an extended stay hotel and explore options from a reasonable commute standpoint. Drive it during your normal hours. It also depends on which school system you choose - you have to live in the designated area.

At my current job, 8 hours is the minimum. On paper it is the norm, but in practice it never is.
@@@Cell phones know no hours:>( but it also depends on the industry you are in.

One thing I will checkRight now I have 28 days/year including bank holidays. I will need these to be able to enjoy some time with my family and do some travels.
@@@Whatever you have in your contract you have. An offer letter is not a legally binding instrument. Consider return of you/family/household to the UK as well.

At first we are planning to rent. I think it's better and less risky as we don't know anything about Florida.
In the current housing market it is the only way to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again.
I appreciate the feedback.

On contract matters, I have a lawyer helping me out. That makes things easier and somehow safer.
In terms of school, I usually prefer public school. I like my kids to mix with children from other backgrounds. Just need to make sure the quality is good. Safety is of course always paramount.
Although the option of finding a French school could be interesting. Right now, they're in a English public school while we speak French at home, whihc makes them fluent in both languages. Joining a French school could be good if we move again at a later date. They could then stay in the same system if we come back to Europe.

When we'll come to Fl. on a trip, we'll test the commute.
Believe me, Tube is becoming a nighmare here. At peak hours, it's always packed to a point it's hard to get in the train. An expensive. And with the Olympics coming to London soon, I don't want to imagine what it will be...

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts