Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm in the closing stages of accepting a job based in Perth. The salary expectation is around $80,000 - $90,000 with a nice relocation package and return flights to the UK for my entire family once a year.

At the moment I'm earning £34k GBP in a thankless job with next to no other prospective employers in the area. We have a nice rented 4 bed house 15 mins from my workplace in a lovely historic town. My wife works 2-3 days a week as a supply teacher but this income is sporadic and non existent during holidays, she also has Rheumatoid Arthritis and is currently prescribed Methotrexate. Our 3 year old only goes to nursery when my wife works. We have very little savings in the bank, at present we're breaking even on our income, the new job will give us a house and car for the first three months. After that we have to find our own.

I'm struggling to figure out exactly what kind of lifestyle we'd get if I was to become the sole earner in Perth.

We don't mind downsizing our property (we'd be looking to live in Joondalup) as we've heard it's family friendly and some of our friends with their own 2 year old also live there.

So basically, will we get by if we:

look at a 2-3 bed (at around $350-$400 pw)
with internet
all utilities
commuting (by train) to cbd
food
medication
and entertainment

on an 80k - 90k salary and will we have anything left over so that we can save enough to for a bond on our own rental.

I love the thought of moving out to Perth, My wife and I spent a couple of months there when traveling in 2005 and it was one of our favorite places of the whole world trip. I'm very aware that backpacking and living are two very different experiences, especially now that we have our daughter demanding our time but I'm trying to decide if the grass really is greener...

Can anyone advise please?

p.s. this doesn't take into account of what to do with our 2 cats which is another issue completely :(

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
You will be here on Employer sponsored I assume. I am not sure what will be the medication cost. Your wife can look for work and the daughter can go to childcare. 80-90k is just about alright but you wont be hand to mouth if you spend wisely. Our month expense is 3200AUD including rent, utilities, childcare cost (700 out of pocket and 900-1000 is paid by centrelink), groceries etc. We dont eat out much, just once a week.

Reactions: Naushad M. Kamal
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.