Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

wondering if anybody can help me..

Im a 21 year old woman and been offered a job in Dubai which I am really excited about but wondering if it is too good to be true, and whether it is legit?

I put my CV on Bayt a few days ago, the following day I got a phone call from somebody claiming to be someone working for Skydive Dubai Rally Team (I later found out that he is the actual rally driver). He offered me a job as the team manager (running the events etc).. I have no experience in this field, however I do understand that it can be possible for this to happen as they seem to like english people?

After seeing my picture and CV he told me all is good to go and explained the job in more detail and said that he would pay for my ticket etc.. Ive looked into the team and it does exist and seems very exciting.. however I have a few concerns..

He sent me my contract- there was no mention of salary (though he did tell me this over the phone)

It looked as though he had just made it himself at home on Word

The contact did state however that the company will pay for flights, acommodation and car allowance (But no figures)

I have questioned him about the above, as obviously I am not going to go out there until I have a contract that states all this. I have also asked about visa and medical insurance, bank accounts etc..

He has come back to me saying that hes waiting for info off head office.. a few days later Im waiting for him to send me a revised contract 'making all clear for me'

Im not too sure how things work over there, maybe it is normal for himself to make and send me the contract rather than Skydive Dubai head office as Im not technically working for them directly..

He has said I need to be in the UAE before the 10th May as thats when the first race is.. so this seems legit to me.. but then again anybody could get this info off the IRC website..

So basically, is this normal practice for smaller companies in the UAE (I have gathered that they do seem more laid back about moving to another country.. where as we like as much info as possible to plan..) or do you smell a rat? And what should I make sure I have information wise before setting foot on that plane?? And how can I check he is actually who he says he is?

Your thoughts and advice would be much appreciated!! :)

Thanks

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Go along with it as long as you are not spending any money of your own, either in flights out here or in "registration fees" for the job. What sounds the most dubious of all is they contacted you after putting your CV on, legit employers simply do not have the time to go through random CV's, I find even more strange that a position like this would be filled in this way.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This sounds very suspicious - they offer you a job you have no experience in (I don't think they like English people that much!) after seeing your CV AND photo???

Also it is not the norm that a contract would be prepared that way - first of all from someone directly and not the company and secondly with no amounts in it - that is not a proper contract. I would stay well clear of this if it was me.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I agree with above comments. Contact head office HR with a question about visas or attesting documents or something.

It worries me that they've put a time scale so short on it - anyone recruiting overseas knows how long these things take.

If they give you a plane ticket make sure it's a return (or you have funds to purchase your own).

Make sure you have an address to go to/stay in and that it's not his home!

I hope it's all kosher and comes off for you but you gut says 'too good to be true' so it usually is :)

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Sounds dodgy. Investigate further and do not go ahead unless you have a valid entry employment permit, a return ticket paid by them in advance, a contract stating the name of the company that will be employing you and that specifies the salary, allowances, leave days, other benefits (medical, car etc), accommodation if this was offered, and temporary accommodation (and where and for how long) until you sort yours. Hope it works out for you but the fact that you are so young, have no experience in the field, and he didn't send you a proper contract makes it all very suspicious. Please be careful :)

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I hate to say it, but the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that it's not genuine. Look at it this way, anyone can use someone else's name in a situation such as this. You have no proof he is who he says he is. I really hope I am wrong, but it just doesn't feel right. If it is the case that it isn't genuine and someone is fraudulently representing themselves as someone else, it should be reported to the authorities. What happens if you don't go and then someone else does and they end up in a dangerous situation?

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
If he is able to hand pick his own person to be his personal team manager to be his cute little bunny... maybe??? Then maybe he picked what he wanted as they told him, find what you want and now he has to go through corporate to figure out what exactly he has o do.

Lets see your picture... ;)

(I would call the main business and ask for hr..... too good to be true but then, many people in dubai are in roles they have no experience in being in)

Reactions: MaidenScotland

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Hes said that he will pay for my flight there and it will be a return so I can fly back to the UK at any time, so hes not asked me for any money at all.

He has sent me a new contract now stating my salary etc, and has not told me that he is the owner of the rally team and that skydive dubai are just the sponser.

It does seem dodgey but I cant help but think its all true, and hes just a small company so might not seem that proffessional with the contract etc.

It scares me to think it, but he has probably liked the look of me and thats probs helped me get the job, but as long as he is a real person and I will be doing the job he has told me that doesnt bother me.

The company is clearly real, they even come up on google and have their own facebook page with thousands of friends, its just as BedauGirl has said, id he actually who he says he is? i dont know how I can find this out!? Hes tole me he is the owener of the rally team, so i dont think there is a HR team that I can speak to?

One thing that i have found out after doing lots of research is.. he told me on the phone that the last girl working for him in this role was english and Norwich, and after lots of digging and looking on the companys facebook page, such girl does exist. So if he wasnt who he said he was how would he know this? Ive messaged the girl to ask her a few things, just waiting for her to get back to me.

One more thing is.. the job involves a lot of travel to all the races he will be attending all over the word... Ive asked him about a working visa and he has said I wont really need one as I will probs not be in Dubai more than 30 days. Ive said to him that Im going to need this for bank accounts etc.. So in this new contract he has put that I will basically get a working visa after completing my 3 month probation. Does this sound ok?

Thanks everyone, really appreciate all your thoughts you have given me :)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
It is illegal to work in Dubai on a visit visa. What I don't understand is there are plenty of English girls in Dubai looking for work, why does he need to bring someone over??

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Don't forget - if you got that info off a Facebook page he could have too. Something not right here!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
MaidenScotland said:
After reading your post... as a mother I would say no way are you going out there.
I am not a mother and I thought that and I have also been wondering what OP's parents thought about all this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a local in UAE, I never heard about this skydive company but I know bayt as a recruitment agency. The only official racing org in the UAE is automobile and touring club UAE that you may check with them.

Suggest you ask them to clearly write full details in the contract i.e. permanent Contract, salary, visa, work location, scope of work etc

Suggest you share it with legal adv for support.

Good luck!

Omar

·
Registered
117 Posts
Funny story, I was in Mussandam, Oman over the weekend. The ride to Golden Tulip felt like a rally race in itself. While parking for a photo op on the side of a cliff. a Black Rally Truck with - Sky Dive Dubai written on the sides pulled up right next to us. We greeted each other, they seemed like cool guys, maybe taking in the sites and showing the Omani shoreline and the winding/exciting roadways to a new comer. My wife was driving and she was tearing it up!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Maybe they were just doing their monthly visa run across the border.
Seriously though any company that tells you that you don't need a visa to work here isn't legit. You need a work residents visa to rent an apt, buy a car or even get a drinks licence.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yep.

It's one thing to be a casually organised small outfit but it's something else to expect people to base themselves in Dubai and not offer work/residency visas. How did the company expect to pay her salary? In cash?

Maybe they were just doing their monthly visa run across the border.
Seriously though any company that tells you that you don't need a visa to work here isn't legit. You need a work residents visa to rent an apt, buy a car or even get a drinks licence.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts