Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

few days ago, I was offered 50k/year to join an engineering consultancy firm and work for their client which is a big multinational. I would have a permanent contract by the agency but they can not guarantee I will be working in Berlin for more than a year and after that they might relocate me somewhere else in Germany.
Considering that I am an Electrical Engineer (Master's degree) with almost 6 years of experience, 34yo, German level A2 , what do you think of their 50k offer?
Is it reasonable in Berlin area for an engineer with similar experience? Or should I ask more?

My current salary is definitely higher but in a much more expensive country. Applying the exchange rate it would be equivalent to 70k.

I would appreciate any advice, thanks!

Ross

Ros

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It is a reasonable offer (salary-wise) for an engineer with 6 years experience and non-native German level. The average salary in Berlin is about half of that, so you should be o.k. financially.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a reasonable offer (salary-wise) for an engineer with 6 years experience and non-native German level. The average salary in Berlin is about half of that, so you should be o.k. financially.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I can't comment on the salary level, but for cost of living, you'd be okay as a single person. Run it through the online tax calculators to figure out your take home (after social insurance deductions etc.). Figure up to 1000/month to rent a small but pleasant furnished place in a funky neighbourhood where you'd actually want to live.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Roughly estimate 5-10k less income per year in Berlin compared to Munich/frankfurt/Hamburg/Köln ...
Just to keep that in mind if you have to move after one year, so you should ask for an adapted salary too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roughly estimate 5-10k less income per year in Berlin compared to Munich/frankfurt/Hamburg/Köln ...
Just to keep that in mind if you have to move after one year, so you should ask for an adapted salary too!
Good to know, thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts