Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband has got a job offer this morning in Perth!! It all seems so real now!!

So my main worry is that the position isn't offering any help with relocation costs and the price of renting in Perth seems really really expensive! Does anyone live in Perth & can give me some advice about cost of living etc??

Thank you

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Congrats on getting your 457!

I'm not sure if it still is, but Perth used to be the most expensive city in the country to live. I have friends who live there and the property prices are extortionate.

Have a look at the cost of living sticky, that will give you an idea of how you'll need to budget.

Dolly

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has your husband asked about relocation costs, we are going to qld on a 457 visa and all our flights, shipping of 20ft container, 4 weeks rent and 4000 aud for set up costs. This is the package this company offers on a 457 visa. they really should be assisting you. We expected to pay a lot of our own costs but delighted when they offered to pay

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh my gosh that's amazing! Your very lucky.

My husband is a nurse (well we both are) & there doesn't seem to be any offers like that for nurses.
It's really putting me of going as we would have to spend all our savings plus more just to get there.
He's going to email the job today & ask but they haven't offered any help so far.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know you will be spending your savings but thing of the long term benefit that living in Australia will bring you. and if there is a chance for you to work then you won t be long getting on top again. I lived in oz for 4 years, the quality of life is nothing compared to the Uk and Ireland, go for it. You may spend a life ti
E regretting it if you don t :)

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Unfortunately, it's not a requirement nor a given for employers to offer any relocation allowance. If they have not offered, the least you could do would be to ask - at best, they will offer some help towards the cost of relocating and at worst, they'll say no but whatever their decision, it'll at least give you a starting point in terms of assessing the financial worth of the package that you have been offered. It's typically the large multinational and mining companies that offers large relocation packages to entice workers.

It's difficult to put a figure on your cost of living as it all comes down to your lifestyle and where you choose to live. Have a look at Real Estate website for an idea of the cost of renting or buying a home. As is always the case, the further away you are from the CBD, the more you will get for your money. Similarly, have a look at the online shopping websites of the large supermarkets like Coles or Woolworths for an idea of the cost of groceries.

It does get rather hot during the summer months and most people will typically fork out around $200 a month on a/c bills during those times. The transperth website will also give you an idea on the cost of travel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.