Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Experts,

I am expecting my grant next week and planning to visit Australia by 20th October. Could you please suggest, is it a good move or should I wait till Jan 2014.
I already resigned from Job and will be out of job by 10 October. Should I take another job in india for a couple of moths and leave to australia in mid of jan or can I find a job there in the month of October -November. I am asking this question because job market would be little down in the year end,rite. But my earlier calculation was that I can grab some temporary jobs in oct-november as so many people will be on vacation and then in jan to secure a permanent one. Please suggest.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Experts,

I am expecting my grant next week and planning to visit Australia by 20th October. Could you please suggest, is it a good move or should I wait till Jan 2014.
I already resigned from Job and will be out of job by 10 October. Should I take another job in india for a couple of moths and leave to australia in mid of jan or can I find a job there in the month of October -November. I am asking this question because job market would be little down in the year end,rite. But my earlier calculation was that I can grab some temporary jobs in oct-november as so many people will be on vacation and then in jan to secure a permanent one. Please suggest.
Hi Silji,

I am in same situation. Already resigned and will be jobless on 12th Oct. I am leaving to Sydney on 18th Oct. You are right job market is bit low but still few opportunities are there even permanent. I have seen few permanent jobs on seek and applied. As I am not in Aus at the moment my CV goes on hold.

Raj....

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi Silji, I am in same situation. Already resigned and will be jobless on 12th Oct. I am leaving to Sydney on 18th Oct. You are right job market is bit low but still few opportunities are there even permanent. I have seen few permanent jobs on seek and applied. As I am not in Aus at the moment my CV goes on hold. Raj....
To begin with please be ready to take any job that comes your ways. Be it permanent/ contract full time. Even a little experience counts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Welcome to Jobless club :D

I will get to know my relieving date tomorrow and probably will land in Perth by early or mid of November

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To begin with please be ready to take any job that comes your ways. Be it permanent/ contract full time. Even a little experience counts
What is ur experince in melborne ? got any opportunity?Please share..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi Experts,

Dont worry, be happy!!! No time is good or bad, just carry a do or die attitude and you would find things getting easier for you. Try it

·
Registered
354 Posts
What is ur experince in melborne ? got any opportunity?Please share..
Silji, to be honest I should say I was lucky in a way. I was in touch with a consultant while I was in Hong Kong and the first thing I made was to meet him personally, had my résumé reviewed and used his contacts. Note he isn't from any of the top recruiting consultants (hays, Robert half, etc). So he was helpful and was willing to go an extra mile in reaching out through is contacts.

Through him I got introduced to another consultant who offered me a job - note it's a contract job and I am paid 60% of what I am supposed to be paid (as two consultants will take their share before I get). I have no complaints.

I am stil applying for jobs via seek and all I see is reject emails. One month without a job was worst thing in my life. I had my wife working which made life little easy but not to my mind and heart.

It's easy to get disappointed and feel low. The market & some consultants does it to you. However if you have right skills, I am sure the placement would be easy.

My other suggestion is to keep NZ option open. People with AUS PR can get NZ PR(not vice versa) and there is more demand in NZ when compared to AUS. If you aren't getting anything in AUS it's worth giving it a shot in NZ. Some agree for Skype interview too. Hence, it shouldn't be a problem.

PM me if I can be of any help for you guys !!

Reactions: satz.v

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Experts,

Hi Silji,

When are you plannig to go?

I am going there on 18th of October.

Raj....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just waana share my story....

- Don't come here with ROSY picture in mind. SEEK.COM is just a hog wash.
IT Market in Sydney/Melbourne is very small. Consultants even know the salary of employees here. Nothing like India where you can float multiple resumes.

- Most of the jobs that you will find here are from small companies. Because big companies outsource their jobs to India. So small companies only look for best talent, specially with good communication skills (eng speaking country people at advtge), because their existence depend upon communication and they have to compete with LOW labour cost companies from India.

- Indian companies here in AUS will never hire from Local market even if you are from India or even from the same company. They will just advertise the job for compliance on SEEK.com, conduct some interviews and then will make an Internal recruitment at last stage. I faced it and even consultants say the same here.

- Few of my friend in BI came here, stayed for 4-5 months and now going back.
Not demoralizing you guys, but come here only if you are very good in your skills, more importantly communication skills.

Someone in above post said that come here with positive mindset.... I agree.
But don't come UNARMED !!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just waana share my story....

- Don't come here with ROSY picture in mind. SEEK.COM is just a hog wash.
IT Market in Sydney/Melbourne is very small. Consultants even know the salary of employees here. Nothing like India where you can float multiple resumes.

- Most of the jobs that you will find here are from small companies. Because big companies outsource their jobs to India. So small companies only look for best talent, specially with good communication skills (eng speaking country people at advtge), because their existence depend upon communication and they have to compete with LOW labour cost companies from India.

- Indian companies here in AUS will never hire from Local market even if you are from India or even from the same company. They will just advertise the job for compliance on SEEK.com, conduct some interviews and then will make an Internal recruitment at last stage. I faced it and even consultants say the same here.

- Few of my friend in BI came here, stayed for 4-5 months and now going back.
Not demoralizing you guys, but come here only if you are very good in your skills, more importantly communication skills.

Someone in above post said that come here with positive mindset.... I agree.
But don't come UNARMED !!
This is not really demoralising, rather it is steering up greater determination..... It takes quite some time to adjust in any new system....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts