Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I just wanted to share my positive job hunt experience since there is a lot of discouraging feedback out here in this forum.

I could recently secure a job in Sydney after only about once month on the hunt and basically 3 resumes I sent out.
My background is as follows:

- Graduated Architect
- about 11 yrs of experience as a Construction Project Manager
- of which I was 2,5yrs based in Sydney as Senior PM for AUS & NZ
- back in Germany since Feb 2014

Here is what I did:

- I spent about two weeks on writing and fine tuning my resume
- I read multiple websites and took over what I liked most
- I asked my Aussie friends to proof read my resume and give me some general tips
- I ended up with a total of 4 pages, I did not use a cover letter

I then contacted some former colleagues, contractors and consultants I worked with and asked them to spread the word that I was looking for a job. Well, basically to keep their ears open and let me know if they hear of anything.

In parallel I added my profile on seek.com.au. => No success at all!
I checked for jobs on Linkedin, contacted two and asked for some further information, got no response. => No success at all!
However, I do like the tool on Linkedin which tells you who at your network is connected to the company advertising a job.
I sent a resume to a PM consultancy who were not actually looking for a PM via a friend. => No success at all, not even a feedback!
I sent a resume to a recruiter for Construction jobs which a friend of mine knows. =>No success at all, not even a feedback!

Finally one of my former contractors got me in touch with a company looking for a PM. However, this job wasn't advertised.
I sent over my resume and had a 10min phone call about 10 days later (It started with "What is your salary expectation?" to which I replied that this is an unusual interview opener. Well, he said that it would be a waste of time to speak any further if we could not get together on this point. Fair point!).
He then said that he would need to speak to his MD and would come back to me. About 2 weeks later he said that they would like to get me on board and what my earliest start date and expected total renumeration package would be.
Well, he offered a bit less and I accepted. I then got the contract and job description for review and signed it a few days ago.

At the end it was pretty easy. I now finish my job in Germany on June 30th and start in July 1st in Sydney. Yes, I do have couple of weeks annual leave left at the end of June :)

Funny enough my role in the new company is very similar to my former one I had in Sydney.

My recommendations for your job hunt are:

- use your network
- use your network
- use your network
- don't worry to even contact people you only met once or haven't seen for ages
- ask your network to spread the word. Someone might know someone who knows someone who heard something about a job opening which isn't on the markets yet (big advantage)
- have an Aussie style resume proof read by a few Australian! Not "only" native speakers.
- look for companies who might need someone with exactly your expertise OR do some business in your home country. (This actually was one of my benefits too. Although I won't get involved at the start they do do some business in Germany)
- once you had the chance to send your resume to someone stay in touch. Ask every now and then how things are going, send a nice thank you email after your interview, show your interest in this company and position.

And last but not least... Never give up or loose hope :boxing:

Good luck to everyone out there...

Cheers

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hi there

I just wanted to share my positive job hunt experience since there is a lot of discouraging feedback out here in this forum.

I could recently secure a job in Sydney after only about once month on the hunt and basically 3 resumes I sent out.

- Graduated Architect

Here is what I did:

- I asked my Aussie friends to proof read my resume and give me some general tips

I then contacted some former colleagues, contractors and consultants I worked with and asked them to spread the word that I was looking for a job. Well, basically to keep their ears open and let me know if they hear of anything.

I checked for jobs on Linkedin, contacted two and asked for some further information, got no response. => No success at all!
However, I do like the tool on Linkedin which tells you who at your network is connected to the company advertising a job.
I sent a resume to a PM consultancy who were not actually looking for a PM via a friend. => No success at all, not even a feedback!
I sent a resume to a recruiter for Construction jobs which a friend of mine knows. =>No success at all, not even a feedback!

Finally one of my former contractors got me in touch with a company looking for a PM. However, this job wasn't advertised.
I sent over my resume and had a 10min phone call about 10 days later (It started with "What is your salary expectation?" to which I replied that this is an unusual interview opener. Well, he said that it would be a waste of time to speak any further if we could not get together on this point. Fair point!).
He then said that he would need to speak to his MD and would come back to me. About 2 weeks later he said that they would like to get me on board and what my earliest start date and expected total renumeration package would be.
Well, he offered a bit less and I accepted. I then got the contract and job description for review and signed it a few days ago.

At the end it was pretty easy. I now finish my job in Germany on June 30th and start in July 1st in Sydney. Yes, I do have couple of weeks annual leave left at the end of June :)

Funny enough my role in the new company is very similar to my former one I had in Sydney.

- use your network
- use your network
- use your network
- ask your network to spread the word. Someone might know someone who knows someone who heard something about a job opening which isn't on the markets yet (big advantage)
- have an Aussie style resume proof read by a few Australian! Not "only" native speakers.
- look for companies who might need someone with exactly your expertise OR do some business in your home country. (This actually was one of my benefits too. Although I won't get involved at the start they do do some business in Germany)
- once you had the chance to send your resume to someone stay in touch. Ask every now and then how things are going, send a nice thank you email after your interview, show your interest in this company and position.

Cheers
Wonderful post! But what about people who don't have network in Australia? Will applying for jobs on sites like seek, careeone, indeed etc. not help much?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not saying this FunkyZ. But my, even if only short, experience and those of friends living in Australia showed that it seems to be difficult to land a job via the "standard" way.

I was quite nervous when I started my job hunt. I have a family of 5 and quit my current job without having a new one in Australia. I do not have big savings hence it was pretty important to find a new job quickly.

When I started to read the job adverts (and I read a lot, even before I started the hunt) I realised that most of the time there was at least one major point which I could not cover (whether it be familiar with local codes or anything else). It seemed kind of hopeless to apply for these jobs.
I only wanted to live and work in Sydney. And although according to the SOL list there are over 5000 Construction PM required for 2014/15 I am pretty sure this does not apply for Sydney. This town is booming and full of construction/development sites and hence full of (local) PMs. And guess who will get the job if there are two PMs, one local and one overseas even with the same qualification and experience?

Hence I focused on my network and I believe everyone (can) have a network. Don't you have any friends who are already in AUS? Are you on linkedin? Use these channels to start your job hunt is my recommendation. No harm in trying seek, linkedin etc too.

Start to think who could benefit from you. The person/contractor who got me in touch with my new Employer worked for me on former projects. We had a good relationship and I am sure that he hopes that putting me into this new position (again PM on the client side) could generate projects for him and his company. And there is nothing bad about it. This is how Australia works in my experience and view. It is a lot about building long term relationships.

It works very different to Germany. In Australia you will be invited and yourself invite to a lot of "socializing events". This is not necessarily where deals are made but relationships build and news are exchanged. When I was in Sydney last time my whole network of external consultants and contractors I got via recommendations.

So that is why I thought that it could/should work for the job hunt too. Again, not saying that nothing else works. It is just my personal experience but believe that it is a successful strategy because Australians are used to this.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I am not saying this FunkyZ. But my, even if only short, experience and those of friends living in Australia showed that it seems to be difficult to land a job via the "standard" way.

I was quite nervous when I started my job hunt. I have a family of 5 and quit my current job without having a new one in Australia. I do not have big savings hence it was pretty important to find a new job quickly.

When I started to read the job adverts (and I read a lot, even before I started the hunt) I realised that most of the time there was at least one major point which I could not cover (whether it be familiar with local codes or anything else). It seemed kind of hopeless to apply for these jobs.
I only wanted to live and work in Sydney. And although according to the SOL list there are over 5000 Construction PM required for 2014/15 I am pretty sure this does not apply for Sydney. This town is booming and full of construction/development sites and hence full of (local) PMs. And guess who will get the job if there are two PMs, one local and one overseas even with the same qualification and experience?

Hence I focused on my network and I believe everyone (can) have a network. Don't you have any friends who are already in AUS? Are you on linkedin? Use these channels to start your job hunt is my recommendation. No harm in trying seek, linkedin etc too.

Start to think who could benefit from you. The person/contractor who got me in touch with my new Employer worked for me on former projects. We had a good relationship and I am sure that he hopes that putting me into this new position (again PM on the client side) could generate projects for him and his company. And there is nothing bad about it. This is how Australia works in my experience and view. It is a lot about building long term relationships.

It works very different to Germany. In Australia you will be invited and yourself invite to a lot of "socializing events". This is not necessarily where deals are made but relationships build and news are exchanged. When I was in Sydney last time my whole network of external consultants and contractors I got via recommendations.

So that is why I thought that it could/should work for the job hunt too. Again, not saying that nothing else works. It is just my personal experience but believe that it is a successful strategy because Australians are used to this.
I understand your point of view. People keep mentioning that a majority of jobs on public sites like Seek are either fake, duplicate or already filled jobs.
I do have a friend in Melbourne, but he doesn't use LinkedIn anymore and hasn't updated his profile in over 2 years. I have joined several groups related to Australian recruitment. Hopefully that should lead me somewhere.

I too have a family of 4 (including myself), and I'm the sole earning member. And hence, I'm taking a similar risk as you by quitting my job and moving in the second week of June 2015.

Reactions: ankitgoel10

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand your point of view. People keep mentioning that a majority of jobs on public sites like Seek are either fake, duplicate or already filled jobs.
I do have a friend in Melbourne, but he doesn't use LinkedIn anymore and hasn't updated his profile in over 2 years. I have joined several groups related to Australian recruitment. Hopefully that should lead me somewhere.

I too have a family of 4 (including myself), and I'm the sole earning member. And hence, I'm taking a similar risk as you by quitting my job and moving in the second week of June 2015.
Good luck to you mate and all the best!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

You might know this already but when negotiating your salary make sure you speak about the base salary! Salary packages offered/stated usually include super (and other benefits) which you won't get but will be paid into your super fund.

·
Registered
832 Posts
You might know this already but when negotiating your salary make sure you speak about the base salary! Salary packages offered/stated usually include super (and other benefits) which you won't get but will be paid into your super fund.
Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Current job opportunities for construction project managers/ Interior fit out -

Hi there,

Can anyone please help with the current situation in Australian job market for construction project managers/ Interior fit out - Managers who have exp of 10 yrs.

1. Which state is favourable for the above jobs search?
2. What would be the approx. time taken to get into work?
3. Would there be any preference given for PR holders.?

Thanks.............

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi there,

Can anyone please help with the current situation in Australian job market for construction project managers/ Interior fit out - Managers who have exp of 10 yrs.

1. Which state is favourable for the above jobs search?
2. What would be the approx. time taken to get into work?
3. Would there be any preference given for PR holders.?

Thanks.............
Hi Tanthom

Sydney is booming right now. There is lots of construction works going on, especially fit out/refurbishment.
However, getting a job as a PM is not that easy. Especially for a foreigner with no local experience.
The local PM I know all have undergone quite a long "training" i.e. started as an estimator, contract administrator, site supervisor etc.

My tip would be to look for less senior roles, contact Tier 3 and Tier 2 contractors, offer them to work as a Project Administrator or similar and then work your way up.

Unless you have a very unique niche skill I know it will be very tricky to land a job as a PM straight away.

However, PM on demand right now which a builder confirmed to me just last week.

Good luck!

Reactions: ankitgoel10

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks a ton for the response..

Also could you please let me know the basic skill set and technology know-how employers are looking for ?
Any specific software skill mandatory and in common demand?

Do MNCs hire PR holders who do not have local exp.? Or should we go with local contractors?

How we can locate them since I am new to this country with no Industry contact/references? Since I understand from previous posts most of the hiring do not happen through job portals but through references especially in Construction sector..?

Thanks.......

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a ton for the response..

Also could you please let me know the basic skill set and technology know-how employers are looking for ?
Any specific software skill mandatory and in common demand?

Do MNCs hire PR holders who do not have local exp.? Or should we go with local contractors?

How we can locate them since I am new to this country with no Industry contact/references? Since I understand from previous posts most of the hiring do not happen through job portals but through references especially in Construction sector..?

Thanks.......
The skills required differ slightly depending on which side your are working (builder, consultancy or client).

In general it is all about getting the job done using the required skills to manage people and projects.
No major software experience required other than MS office and usually MS Project.

I do not know what MNCs are but I suggest you google for builders, check out their website and contact them telling them that you are looking for a job as a PM and offering to start in a more junior role to proof your skills.

I know as a matter of fact that builders are currently looking for PMs as I have been asked if I know someone, even from Germany. There is at least one builder who already considers sponsoring to just to get good PMs.

And yes, I believe the most successful way to land a job is via your network. Another common way is that they use headhunters. With recruiters I have no experience.

Reactions: J and J

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good luck to you mate and all the best!
Hi Ben,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge !
How is the market for construction project managers nowadays down there ?
I have got my PR recently and willing to re-locate once the chance arise .

What do you recommend ?

Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi there

- Graduated Architect

Here is what I did:

- use your network
- use your network
- use your network

Cheers
Cheers on your success!

My husb is a PM with 14 years of exp in Automotive industry. But as all of us know, the automotive industry is down in Aussie. So is there a chance that his PM skills and capabilities will be considered across another industry?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers on your success!

My husb is a PM with 14 years of exp in Automotive industry. But as all of us know, the automotive industry is down in Aussie. So is there a chance that his PM skills and capabilities will be considered across another industry?
Don't really know but as for Construction I can not imagine he will have any success securing a job with his experience.

Construction and local experience what matters most.

Cheers

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Ben,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge !
How is the market for construction project managers nowadays down there ?
I have got my PR recently and willing to re-locate once the chance arise .

What do you recommend ?

Thanks
As said before, if not now then never. Construction in Sydney is booming (people compare it to the time just before the Olympics in 2000).
BUT.... It won't be easy to secure a job without local experience. On the other hand do I know at least one mid tier builder who is thinking about sponsoring overseas people because they can not find the right ones.

What is strongly needed right now are people with experience in refurbishing projects.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
As said before, if not now then never. Construction in Sydney is booming (people compare it to the time just before the Olympics in 2000).
BUT.... It won't be easy to secure a job without local experience. On the other hand do I know at least one mid tier builder who is thinking about sponsoring overseas people because they can not find the right ones.

What is strongly needed right now are people with experience in refurbishing projects.

Good luck!
Hi Ben,

Is AUS really booming in construction? This question caused me a lot of hesitation.
In Hong Kong, we are having some 10 mega infrastructure projects from government in addition to all other private housing and commercial sectors. I believe this provides a very secure role and hot market in at least the coming 10 years. But how's AUS?

As I'm an QS (qualified in HK) with just some 4 years as a foundation contractor, I'm quite worried about the chance in getting a job when I come over.

Thanks and it seems you are the only few guys I came across in this form with construction background.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Ben,

Is AUS really booming in construction? This question caused me a lot of hesitation.
In Hong Kong, we are having some 10 mega infrastructure projects from government in addition to all other private housing and commercial sectors. I believe this provides a very secure role and hot market in at least the coming 10 years. But how's AUS?

As I'm an QS (qualified in HK) with just some 4 years as a foundation contractor, I'm quite worried about the chance in getting a job when I come over.

Thanks and it seems you are the only few guys I came across in this form with construction background.
Yes, it is. And companies are on the hunt for good PM. I just had an interview this morning for a Project Director role. It was interesting to hear what they think of the market. They expect a continuous grow over the next 10 years and currently setting up their business in a way to accommodate the need of the market for builders.

Not sure how the market is for a QS. I can imagine that local experience/knowledge is quite important.

Anyway, if I would be in your shoes I would not leave a secure position without having secured a new job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, it is. And companies are on the hunt for good PM. I just had an interview this morning for a Project Director role. It was interesting to hear what they think of the market. They expect a continuous grow over the next 10 years and currently setting up their business in a way to accommodate the need of the market for builders.

Not sure how the market is for a QS. I can imagine that local experience/knowledge is quite important.

Anyway, if I would be in your shoes I would not leave a secure position without having secured a new job.
Ben, thanks for your reply. I think the QS market should be of similar prospect as all the construction related staffing. If you have a construction project, you need a PM to monitor the operation side and a QS to monitor money side. Just don't know how much emphasis does Aus construction culture pay to QS role, but I think it is still similar to HK, as we were once colonized and our practice of construction contract, BQ etc are materially derived from the same UK system. Am I right?

I've obtained some data as well reflecting there is currently a very strong, if not mega, boost of construction industry in all AUS major cities, mostly building and commercial side. How did they of really think of the market?

Yeah, there are a lots to give up, a secured job, a secured good boss who will and is providing me a good promotion opportunity, a familiar environment and all friends and relatives here. But we all wish to have a better life with our family, and Australia is a country I has longed for since I was still in university.:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts