Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody

I moved to France last month with my partner who was offered a job with a French company. Could anybody give me some advice about job hunting please?

Back in the UK I worked in Public Relations, Journalism and in the charity sector. Could anybody recommend any companies in Lyon who take on English people in these fields?

I would also be interested in English Language tutoring which I also have experience in. I have contacted a number of companies who are not taking on at the moment, Wall Street Institute etc. Maybe it's a funny time of year to be looking for work but I seem to be hitting a dead end everywhere I try.

I would be willing to work on a voluntary/intern basis to get my foot in the door with a company/charity/school.

I'm afraid my French is not the best but it is getting better every day. I heard about a company in Lyon, AVF, who put on group nights to help people improve their French and make friends. Does anybody know any more details about this?

·
Administrator
50,374 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

AAMOF this isn't a particularly good time to be looking for work. If you wait until after the end of the year, you may have somewhat better luck. But in France, it's generally pretty difficult to find any kind of work if you don't speak at least passable French.

As far as AVF goes, it's not a company, it's an association (Acceuil des Villes Françaises) - with the avowed goal of helping newcomers integrate into their new home. Details for Lyon are here: avflyonrhone - Espace de communication de l'AVF Lyon Rhône Don't hesitate to use the "Nous contacter" item to contact them in English. They'll deal with it. ;)

I believe the Lyon AVF may even have a group for those looking for work in the area. Anyhow, contact them - you'll be glad you did.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bev

Thank you so much for your advice, I'll definitely get in touch with AVF. Let's hope the New Year brings some new opportunities on the job front.

Lorna

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Lorna

Why not apply to your local Academie for working in schools. It's not well paid but is really nice work. They're always looking for people to teach English.

Poppy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Poppy

Thanks for your suggestion. When you say local academy, do you mean local schools in Lyon? (sorry if this is a silly question) It doesn't matter if it isn't very well paid, it's all good experience.

·
Administrator
50,374 Posts
Hi Poppy

Thanks for your suggestion. When you say local academy, do you mean local schools in Lyon? (sorry if this is a silly question) It doesn't matter if it isn't very well paid, it's all good experience.
I think the local school administration (the "school district" if you like) is referred to as the "academie." Some districts hire native speakers to help with language classes (at very low wages - usually about half what a "real teacher" is paid). Others don't. But it can't hurt to ask.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.