Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of question, was hoping for advice.

Currently working for the same employer for 15 months. I plan to get married with my fiancé who lives abroad on July 19th of this year. We then plan to apply for the Spouse Visa a week or so after the wedding ceremony.
Hence the plan was to apply through Cat A.
Now a new job opportunity has come about and I’m at the latter stages of the process with a decision to be made end of June.
If I were to accept and hand in my notice, I would then be serving 3 months’ notice, which should take me through to end of September.

Questions:

Do I still apply through Cat A?

Would I need to inform UK Immigration of this new job? Would I need to include the new job offer letter and contract (which would be for an October start date)?

I assume I will still need a letter from my current employer regarding my current situation and pay etc….as even in my notice period I’m still a full time employee?

Many many thanks.

·
Super Moderator
18,051 Posts
Best to wait until after you have the visa to change jobs. The promise of employment through a job offer letter is not sufficient. Whether applying under Category A or B you have to be in ongoing employment and earning at least the required amount.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.

But I am in full time employment currently and earning above the threshold required. All I'm going to be doing is changing jobs.

So you are telling me that I can't change jobs, as it will mean the visa will be refused?

Perhaps I was not clear.

In full time employment since March 2014.
Potential job offer coming in 2 weeks.
I will hand in notice July 1st, but will have to work 3 months of notice period.
New Job to start immediately after my notice period.
Plan to apply for Visa around the end of July.

So with this info, can I not apply through Cat A? As I am currently with employer until end of September.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The problem is they may contact your current employer, who would then say you had given your notice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My point is that I would put the new job offer and signed contract in the visa application; I'm not trying to hide it.

So you are telling me that if I'm applying for my spouse's visa, I can't move jobs, even if I have 15 months in a previous job and moving immediately to a new one after my notice and I will be providing all the new contracts?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I believe you would need to have at least one pay slip and covering bank statement from the new job and then apply under Cat. B, but best to wait for a moderator to answer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.

Yes - If a moderator can let me know please :)

In Summary:

Over 15 months with current employer.
Notice potentially being given 3 weeks before VISA application being submitted.
Will be working 3 months notice period to end of September.
Will start new job, in October.

Do I need to wait for my first payslip in new job, even though when submitting I will be at the start of notice period. Will also be submitting new contract etc....

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
18,051 Posts
As I said, it's best to wait until you are in the new job and the promise of a new job is not sufficient and in fact, proves that your current job isn't ongoing. As salix indicated, the risk is that they call to confirm your employment details and find out that you've served your notice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your reply. But how is this different from someone (the sponsor) who has been working abroad for 12 months and is moving to the UK and has a job offer that starts within 3 months of him entering the UK? From my understanding that person can apply through CAT A, providing he has 6 months of pay slips and has a job offer to start work in the UK within 3 months of entering?

Also I'm telling them that I am moving jobs, so it's not as if I'm hiding it. I'm sure I have read that a job offer letter and contract is sufficient?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
18,051 Posts
Because you're not moving from abroad. There is no category for those working in the UK who are going to leave their job in the UK to start another job in the UK within 3 months.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, thank you.

Just seems a tad odd that a job offer or promise of a job is valid if you are moving to the UK, but not if you are already in the UK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.