Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, don't get me wrong; I have no problem at all with people who find comfort in whatever faith they hold.

But, I've just had a couple of JWs arrive at my door in this "trou perdu" in "France Profonde" to persuade me that they could impart the knowledge to assure my salvation ...

Having told them I'm Pagan, it appeared it was no deterrent; they asked why Pagan. I'm not going in to all the reasons why, but they then started peddling the Bible with all its "messages" for Good Living. And I replied with that for every "good message" there was a contradictory message; they asked me for quotes; I gave them quotes. They asked what I had against organised religion; nothing, said I; only that the people who peddle it are, in the main, hypocrites (to wit, holy wars etc.)

They returned to the "Nature" element of Paganism: who provided "nature"? I said I didn't care; it exists; I look after my patch of it as best I can; & I had more immediate issues to deal with regarding my daily welfare.

The reason for the post is that I thought I'd escaped this doorstepping of "You Need the Lord", but NO.

Is the path already set for the insidious infiltration of "you screwed your life; find the Lord and you will be saved (especially if you commit to funds to us)" as per the US?

That's probably unfair to the greater US, but that's the image we (Europeans) have ....

ok - let battle commence ..... ;)

h

Reactions: Xrac

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS they discerned I wasn't French but asked if I understood written and spoken French. BIG MISTAKE. I should've said "no".

·
Administrator
49,983 Posts
We used to get the JW at the door all the time. I basically just cussed them out (in fluent 'Merrican) and sent them on their way. Then, they showed up with a little kid who made the pitch (in French). I complimented the kid on his speech and then told them in slightly more polite French to get the hell off my property, that I had my own religion and wasn't interested in the least in theirs.

That's one princple I learned living in the US Bible Belt - do NOT engage the door to door fanatics in any sort of conversation. Yes, I've heard of JW and know what it is. No, I am not interested in it, nor do I want to discuss it with them. Good day, and get the hell off my property. (OK, property rights in France aren't seen quite the same, but you often have to just shut the door in their faces.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My Dad (son of a Preacher Man), who knew the Bible backwards, upside-down and inside-out, used to invite them in (he enjoyed the Sport, particularly after my Mum had died) .... they rarely left inside 5 hours and had had their brains frazzled :D

Invariably, they didn't return - wonder why .....

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
FWIW When I was at Rouen University studying for the French language exams - DALF, there were several US "Bible bashers" there to learn French before going out on the road to annoy the likes of Bev and Hils. I must say that I found them charming, and although they targeted each person in the class - they did it only once and desisted after a firm no.

I had many interesting discussions with them and I did not doubt their zeal or integrity for one moment. I think there were not the hard core JW who really do an immoral hard sell on some malleable people who find their logic irresistible. Yes, with the smiling little girl which I find an abuse of childhood.

As an aside, I am an active non believer, AND I find the Bible interesting because so much of Western Civilisation is based on it. I don't know it well, but well enough to quote some references to support my atheism, which surprises some people. On the Dalf course I asked of the US Bible bashers for a copy of Good Book in French. I offered to pay for it, but the chap gave it to me, with a touching handwritten note on the frontispiece.

The only way to get rid of these hard core JWs is to avoid any discussion, any response to their questions, other than "no, please leave". I have had to repeat this perhaps 3 or 4 times - but once you enter into the conversation you are at risk.

DejW

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oooooooo "at risk" sounds as though they're menacing. Well, Ok they may be to vulnerable people, but so would be anyone else turning up on the doorstep.

I have confidence in my argument; if they can argue rationally in return I might well enjoy the "badinage", otherwise - as you say - they are shown a quick exit.

Presumably, they do get converts by this method - otherwise, why do they do it? Do we HAVE any JW in here who can explain?

Yes, Dej, the Bible is phenomenal testament historically; pre-Xian, the OT is even more interesting - just about every other religion has a document which endorses "facts" in the OT. Post-Xian, all documents seem to get politically/economically biased (to be kind!) - and therein lies the problem as far as I'm concerned. It's only (pure) Paganism which hasn't been adulterated by nefarious other agenda - ignore nonsense like witchcraft and druids (both have merit but they have ill-publicity) as perceived by the general public. Anything else - as I see it - has been corrupted by human greed.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Three ways to rid your doorsteps of these unwanted visitors are.

1. Tell them that you
are a Freemason and a member of the Loge de Paris( blokes only).

2. Tell them that your religion is Jeddai Knight.

3. Tell them that you are a member of Al Shabbab on holiday from Ethiopia.

One of the above will work and you will not see them for dusty motes as they leave.

Fletch.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
In your case, dear Fletch, I would have thought that the most effective way would be to whisper in one of the JW ears

"I am Fletch in France"

Much more effective than your propositions!

I do not recommend this approach to Hils, for her to whisper

"I am Hils" ........goes way beyond the definition of "reasonable self defence".

Autumn has arrived in this part of the Pyrénées Orientales - cool mornings and evenings, mist on the mountains. Evenings are dark now.

DejW

Three ways to rid your doorsteps of these unwanted visitors are.

1. Tell them that you
are a Freemason and a member of the Loge de Paris( blokes only).

2. Tell them that your religion is Jeddai Knight.

3. Tell them that you are a member of Al Shabbab on holiday from Ethiopia.

One of the above will work and you will not see them for dusty motes as they leave.

Fletch.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
They used to arrive at our house on sunday morning and ask why i wasn't at church. I would look shocked and say, i would not dare! My husband is cantor at Beth Israel. They would scurry down the road.

·
Registered
184 Posts
We live in an area where there is a large community of JW's and there are two Kingdom Halls. They also have a stall every week at a local market. I have never understood why in France's so called secular society this is possible. They also visit our village on a regular basis. Almost all are British and retired - lots of older single women. My husband often invites them in for tea and a cake - I make the tea and retreat. Only time I ever heard raised voices was during a visit with an American overseer and he was told to leave. Not a good idea to make a derogatory comment on the role of women after husband had just done the ironing listening to Woman's Hour!

One may not agree with what they stand for, but it is no excuse to be abusive or insulting to them. I feel very sorry for them, they are trapped in a cult which is so restrictive and inward looking and there is no freedom. Better to smile and politely say you are not interested. Being rude and nasty only gives them fuel to their conviction that JW's are right.

Post has raised an interesteresting point on how when groups such as anti-nuclear, anti-fracking and peace campaigners are so restricted in what they can do in France to promote their view. Why can JW's promote their contentious views so easily?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Wait until you get the Mormons - they even convert dead people!

Reactions: hils and Xrac

·
Administrator
49,983 Posts
I suppose we really shouldn't be slamming any religion here in the forum - however, the practice of knocking on doors to prostheletyze to complete strangers bugs the heck out of me, whether it's for a religion or a politics or to flog some overpriced brand of vacuum cleaner or skin creme.

Honestly, if they would simply go away when I say, "no thank you, I'm not interested" we wouldn't have this issue. Argue with me on my doorstep about what I want to hear about or buy and no holds are barred.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.