Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

JBR/Marina Move

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Nomad80 
#1 ·
Hey Guys and Girls,

For work related reasons I will shortly be leaving the lovely (but far too quiet for me) Al Ain for Dubai.

As I'll be heading down Abu Dhabi way fairly often to, I have pretty much settled on the JBR/Marina area for location. Also as I am a young and single 25 year old the Walk/Beach lifestyle appeals to me.

I know the questions I am about to ask have probably been covered before, but either I am not patient enough in searching the archives or am just generally rubbish at using the search function, either way I haven't really found a definitive answer to my last few niggles so rather hoped someone might not mind regurgitating what they have said before here or a PM will do.

1. JBR/Dubai Marina - to me they don't seem far enough apart to be much different, but I have heard people often prefer the Marina over JBR, given that they almost appear one in the same could someone point out the ups and downs of either.

2. How is the community feel? - I have never really done apartments before and although not a stranger to the UAE or city living it would be nice to get to know some neighbours as well.

3. Although I'll have a housing allowance that I know will cover my needs in terms of rent what add ons should I be looking at budgeting for outside the 5% municipality and a few hundred a month in utilities (i.e. are the service charges ridiculous or reasonable).

4. I have heard there are plenty of units still available (correct me if I am wrong!), but does anyone have anyone/any estate agents they would recommend for this area?

Thanks in advance guys and if anyone fancies giving an account of their time in either part of the development would be happy to hear it too.

Cheers,

SP.

See less See more
#2 ·
We just agreed to a 2 beddie in jbr, commuting to auh as well. not much diff as far as I can tell, jbr has more shared area for kids so we there. marina more singles i think, nice though.

our LL incl all expenses (Dewa, chiller, tv, ph, internet, cleaner) in rent; about 1500-2000mo.

Get a big car with cruise control and a good stereo for the boring drive, oh and watch out for the speed camera just off the bridge at sadiyat.

#5 ·
Hey Cheers Man yeah I should clarify what I kinda of meant is the rest of the Marina as opposed to JBR, have just seen a few people mention before that they would go for other towers over JBR but was wondering what the reasoning behind that was.

Thanks for the response from dxbeagle to - very helpful!

titirangi - thankfully my work will be off the Island so hopefully no Sadiyat Island Camera's after me - just those evil ones in Dubai! Amen on the boring drive, though can't be worse than the Al Ain/AUH road!

Thanks all,

SP

#4 ·
JBR is a development within the marina. I've lived in other developments in the marina for the past couple of years and know plenty of people who have lived/live in JBR. The location of JBR is great being as close to JBR walk/the beach as you can get but the quality of finish is dubious and common facilities aren't great e.g. the infamous lack of (decent at least) gyms. From what I've seen the apartments/facilities in the end of JBR closest to the Sheraton are better as they are the newest (Shams/Amwaj). I'd steer clear of Murjan and the blocks between the Hilton and Meridien as they are becoming quite run down already - although there are more shops/restaurants at that end, being the more established part of JBR.

Before committing to anywhere in JBR suggest you take a look at some of the developments between JBR and the Marina or on the other side of the marina which look across to the JBR side. I'd steer clear of any of the blocks bordering Sheikh Zayed Road unless you get a very good deal because they are noisy unless you get a very high floor. Could be convenient for the metro however...

In summary I'd have a good look around as quality varies hugely around the Marina. I moved at the end of last year and found that there was plenty on the market. Try the advance search option on property finder .ae to see what all the agents have available and for some guide as to price.

Good luck!

#7 ·
haha! different strokes for different folks I guess. I quite like it, but then again I have been known to have appalling taste before :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.