Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I would like to know how is the jazz scene in your cities - including where to go etc.

I am really passionate about studying and making music (mainly jazz) and plan on starting a group to play a few times a week, so visiting jazz clubs when traveling is mandatory.

So tell me. Too much cool in your neighborhood?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Spain has a very active Jazz scene, at least in Madrid. One of the top venues is called "Clamores".

If you want information about Jazz in Spain, I strongly recommend a magazine called "Cuadernos de Jazz".

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Many bars around el barrio de Las Letras (e.g. calle Huertas, Plaza Angel) in Madrid have live jazz. La Fidula, El Central and "the Cotton Club" come to mind, but there are plenty more around that area.

·
Registered
785 Posts
In my city (Vilafranca del Penedès)the next 3th 4th and 5th of july there are a festival called Vijazz (Wine & Jazz) where you can listen excellent american groups of Jazz while you drink one of more of 100 different brands of wine.

·
Registered
913 Posts
There are several places in Benidorm.

There is one I have been to near near the triangle in Rincon de Loix area - sorry don't know its name - where they have Sunday lunchtime jazz - it is very good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's good to know that there's an active jazz scene in Spain. I like the fact that spanish jazz is quite different from that of the United States - it combines flamenco, gipsy and classical music.

Of those I know, there's the Festival de Jazz de Gijón, a good number of clubs in Granada (actually the place with the largest number of jazz clubs by square meter I've ever seen - the best one is called Granada Jazz Club; kind of touristy, but pretty cool anyways). In Salamanca there's an amazing place called Birdland and another one called The Doctor Cocktail. Both places have good music. The last time I was in Salamanca I went to a club located at the Gran Via, but can't remember its name. But the music - LIVE MUSIC - was contagious. :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts