Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got my PR 189 in Feb 2015. I am Java / J2ee developer with around 9 yrs of experience. Currently, I am in India and moving to Australia this August. I am planning to come to Sydney.

As I do not know anyone in there so looking for advice from folks out there in Aus who has been there in similar way. Few questions that are there in my mind right now are -

1. How is the job market for java developers currently?

2. How should I target for job openings via job sites or approaching consultants personally? It would be helpful if you can refer some good consultants.

3. What is the overall interview processes in general, I mean how many rounds etc. What are kind/types of questions asked in interview? Do they look for more basics or go for in-depth kind of question or more scenarios based questions.

4. What is the salary band for a 9 yrs exp java developer / architect? Asking this question so that can fill some reasonable amount in expected salary section.

5. Any other important advice.

It would be really helpful if I can get some answers / advice to my queries, so that I can do my homework before moving to Australia.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi ,
I am a Java developer with similar experience working in Melbourne.

About The Job Market and Economy in general:
Australia has been reliant on commodity exports for a long long time and commodities prices are cyclical. If you follow financial news China has been the biggest importer of australian commodities mainly Iron ore . Long story short chineese economy is sneezing and australia is very likely catch the bug as well (Falling exports falling dollar blah blah blah). So economic boom of australia of the last 20 odd years is coming to an end and most Australians will see their first recession sometimes soon. So Job market is expected to be tough. Having said that two things to be noted:
1. Every financial news analysis is just a probability and not definite.
2. Recession (if it comes) does not mean companies close shop .
So depending on your skill set finding a job will not be impossible but keep in mind when economy was good due to no shortage of Java developers and the local experience quirk one would expect 3-4 months between landing and finding a job.

So it is very important to :
- Have the right expectations of the time it will take to land a job.
- Have a strong financial war chest to pay the bills.
- Open to work for whatever pays the bills (for the time being at least)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi,

I got my PR 189 in Feb 2015. I am Java / J2ee developer with around 9 yrs of experience. Currently, I am in India and moving to Australia this August. I am planning to come to Sydney.

As I do not know anyone in there so looking for advice from folks out there in Aus who has been there in similar way. Few questions that are there in my mind right now are -

2. How should I target for job openings via job sites or approaching consultants personally? It would be helpful if you can refer some good consultants.

3. What is the overall interview processes in general, I mean how many rounds etc. What are kind/types of questions asked in interview? Do they look for more basics or go for in-depth kind of question or more scenarios based questions.

4. What is the salary band for a 9 yrs exp java developer / architect? Asking this question so that can fill some reasonable amount in expected salary section.

It would be really helpful if I can get some answers / advice to my queries, so that I can do my homework before moving to Australia.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
Java jobs, not that good. When you go to Seek or LinkedIn only look for the actual companies that put the advertisement on their own (don't trust recruitment firms half of that are ********)

Mostly you have 1-2 non technical and 1-2 technical interviews. Technicality depends on the company and the quality of the work. Usually better ones have harder more in depth questions (ie designing a system). Usually it takes at least 2-3 months from initial interview to job offer.

For the salary expectation I would say if you've got the experience in Australia I would say somewhere around $120-140k however I don't know how much it would worth when your experience is not in Australia.

If possible don't come to Australia straight! Most good companies do hire you on 457 visa or conduct interviews outside of the country. So you can still try interviewing with them. At least try to aim for later rounds to be taken in Australia rather than arranging initial interviews in Australia.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for sharing the valuable information.

I have been in Sydney/Melbourne in first week of August and experienced things myself a bit.

By my good luck, I got a job as well in Melbourne :) I am planning to move there in September.

Now I am looking for a accommodation for myself. Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Regards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for sharing the valuable information.

I have been in Sydney/Melbourne in first week of August and experienced things myself a bit.

By my good luck, I got a job as well in Melbourne :) I am planning to move there in September.

Now I am looking for a accommodation for myself. Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Regards.

Congratulations!!!

I think you are now the best person to answer the questions you originally posted. :)

Please share based on your experience.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congratulations!!!

I think you are now the best person to answer the questions you originally posted. :)

Job market is not so bad for java developers. At least I can say that ;) But most of the recruiters says that they give preference to someone with local experience.

I got job via seek.com.au so that is what I can suggest to all out there for job hunt. LinkedIn is also helpful in keeping the momentum going.

The whole process for me took 20 days [lucky me ;) ]. I was interviewed once through Skype when I was in India and second round was face to face. Questions were mostly scenario based and subjective.

I preferred not to give any figure from my side and waited for the company to provide the details themselves. Salary depends more company budget and if you does not fall in that limit, they will hire someone else.

Nothing as such.

Please share based on your experience.

Didn't thought that I will be answering my questions ;)

My answers are inline above.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Didn't thought that I will be answering my questions ;)

My answers are inline above.

Congratulations on getting the job so soon.

I am also a java developer with 9+ years of experience.
I am planning to move to Melbourne by Jan2016 end.

I have few queries.
-What is the job profile you got Developer/Lead?
-Is it possible to apply for the jobs from India? Many of my friends told me to that
recruiters/consultancies don't entertain if the candidate is located outside
Australia.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Congratulations on getting the job so soon.

I am also a java developer with 9+ years of experience.
I am planning to move to Melbourne by Jan2016 end.

I have few queries.
-What is the job profile you got Developer/Lead?
-Is it possible to apply for the jobs from India? Many of my friends told me to that
recruiters/consultancies don't entertain if the candidate is located outside
Australia.
Reasonable job market for developers if you have good finance or telecommunication domain knowledge.

Developer jobs are highly competitive and lead roles are rare for immigrants without local experience. Best of luck :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts