Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in Australia looking for a job in the United States and I am coming up pretty empty. There are programs I can be accepted into that will give me a J-1 Visa, which allows 12 months to travel and work. If I were to find a job while I was on the J-1 visa, is there anything stopping me from going to canada or mexico and applying for the longer 2 year work visas? Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take the J if it's going to be easier for you, get licensed in the US (it's a State rather than a Federal thing), search for a sponsor, then move on an E3. Aussies have it easy!

You can sometimes process an E3 in Canada. Worry about that when you get a little closer to finding a sponsor.

Is there any issues with current J-1 Sponsors with switching to a more permanent work visa? Can they do anything to keep from switching Visa Status? Whats the best way to deal with that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as for certification, its already been taken care of. The thing I am worried about is that the company that is currently sponsoring the J-1 visa will be able to keep the visa switch from happening. I know that they don't require the 2 year return. I am going to look in the contract..if I can find it but does anyone know if they would legally be able to stop the switch. Thanks for responding so fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.