Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently moved to london from switzerland (3 months ago). I live in my current appartment for 2 months. There has been a lot of drama coming along with this place since the beginning.. specially with the builder that kept coming to fix something, redo something else etc. without previous notice and his work never made sense at all. i never was at home, but sometimes it happened that i came back and some people were inside doing something. or the builder just needed to take something from the 'cellar' in our appartment (after 2 months there are still his things.. the landlord doesn't care). anyway, i'd like to ask how can i defend myself from being visited by someone my landlord gave the key to. I've become paranoid that one day i'll come home and someone will simply bump into the house without waiting until i open the front door myself. it happened yesterday when two guys came to evaluate the property. they came in while i was in the bathroom.. the doorlock is the same security lock as i was used to before with the difference that i cannot lock it. i just slam the door and it's shut. we tried to put the key into the lock, turn a bit, but it's still can be opened from the outside. there is a lil button on the inner side of the lock, but if i push it, i just can't open the door from the inside, but it still can be opened from the outside. or am i just a freak that i want privacy over here? otherwise i love london. :juggle:

·
Registered
39,032 Posts
If you have a proper tenancy (signed agreement), then you have the right to privacy and not to be disturbed in your own home. Even landlord doesn't have the right to enter your property without your permission and prior notice, and the same goes for any workmen employed to work on your apartment. You need to speak to your landlord and tell them it's not on - it's a breach of the tenancy agreement by them. Workmen need to contact you to arrange a suitable time for work to take place., even if they've been given a key by your landlord. You need to stand firm and insist on your legal rights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your comments. yes, i do have a written tenancy agreement and read it. we were complaining to landlord many times but she just kept apologizing for weeks while things remained the same until we were about to end the contract 2 weeks ago. the situation's gotten better now. last time i was told that those guys were supposed to come in the morning so i didn't expect them late in the afternoon. i just find it weird that i cannot lock myself in the inside so that anybody can unlock from the outside. there's no bell or anything. i mean, why do people expect that if noone responds in 10 seconds they can automatically come in?!! it pi**** me off.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Thanks for your comments. yes, i do have a written tenancy agreement and read it. we were complaining to landlord many times but she just kept apologizing for weeks while things remained the same until we were about to end the contract 2 weeks ago. the situation's gotten better now. last time i was told that those guys were supposed to come in the morning so i didn't expect them late in the afternoon. i just find it weird that i cannot lock myself in the inside so that anybody can unlock from the outside. there's no bell or anything. i mean, why do people expect that if noone responds in 10 seconds they can automatically come in?!! it pi**** me off.
Go to your local citizens advise bureau! No landlord or anyone else is allowed to enter the property at all without your prior permission. They have to ask you, not tell you and you have to agree to it. End of. If they turn up late then if it isnt suitable for you then they have to re arrange the appointment WITH YOU! NOT THE LANDLORD. end of!!!!! That is the law in the UK!

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go to your local citizens advise bureau! No landlord or anyone else is allowed to enter the property at all without your prior permission. They have to ask you, not tell you and you have to agree to it. End of. If they turn up late then if it isnt suitable for you then they have to re arrange the appointment WITH YOU! NOT THE LANDLORD. end of!!!!! That is the law in the UK!

Jo xxxx
i guess that is the law everywhere, had no idea i'd have to face this one day. THANK YOU very much for advice!

·
Registered
581 Posts

Jo xxxx
I would add to this that you should demand from the Landlord to install a lock in the door that can be locked from the inside but can't be opened from the outside, at the very least a door chain, so nobody can wander in freely while you are at home.

People can't enter your home unless you consent, and this has to be at the exact time you agree to them entering, not whenever they want. If they are running late they should let you know in advance if it is still suitable for them to go.

As Jo said, talk to your Citizens Advice Bureau, or if you can afford it, to a solicitor proper, although I would try to sort this out first in an amicable manner with your Landlor, specially if this is a case of friendly incompetence rather than malice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks jlms. Yeah, it's just incompetence from her side. Otherwise she seems to be a lovely person. I'm just slightly worried that if i ask for the additional lock or at least the chain i'd have to wait for another 2 months :) and when the good day comes and it will be installed the competent person who did the work finds out that they need to redo (like it happened several times.. notice that we moved to an immulated finished appartment and we didn't get the second pair of keys in 6 weeks time). But we'll definetely try to push the landlord to make things done faster again. Thank you all for helpful comments. I was worried that this is normal in UK and that i overreact.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.