Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I need some (understatement!) advice.

I've recently started to look in to moving abroad and setting up a life outside the UK - various reasons which I'm sure the British expats would fully understand.
I turned 29 in August, and married. My wife is Kenyan, but we are in the process of applying for a UK passport for her. I'm British Asian and have been working with a bank for the last 10 years, namely in Retail Banking - Branch Manager and more recently in IT Service as a Manager.

I'm getting a little lost with what I need to do, even after reading Dolly's fixed posts. Do I need to complete some kind of test before applying for citizenship? or should I be applying for migration?
either way, hope you can help?

My name is Hemel by the way.

H:ranger:

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Hemel, you'd almost certainly be applying for skilled migration. Citizenship usually comes into the picture after you've resided in AU for several years as a Permanent Resident (4 years net). The current rules for AU Citizenship are at Australian Citizenship

Your experience suggests you need to be assessed (by the relevant assessing authority in AU) for management and for migration purposes. Most likely you will come over on the 175 or 176 Visa subclass. If your current company would allow you to transfer you may also come over on a 457 visa (Temp Visa) or 121 Visa.

If you are asking about Citizenship there is a small test (multiple choice) where you are asked about Australian facts and values. There is a downloadable book at the Citizenship website that covers that.

Hello

I need some (understatement!) advice.

I've recently started to look in to moving abroad and setting up a life outside the UK - various reasons which I'm sure the British expats would fully understand.
I turned 29 in August, and married. My wife is Kenyan, but we are in the process of applying for a UK passport for her. I'm British Asian and have been working with a bank for the last 10 years, namely in Retail Banking - Branch Manager and more recently in IT Service as a Manager.

I'm getting a little lost with what I need to do, even after reading Dolly's fixed posts. Do I need to complete some kind of test before applying for citizenship? or should I be applying for migration?
either way, hope you can help?

My name is Hemel by the way.

H:ranger:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Amaslam,

I think your right, when I completed the "which visa to apply for", I ended up with the same visa options...

What would you think would be my next step?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Basically all visas work the same when it comes to skills.

1. Get assessed for the skill you are applying for (i.e. Management)
2. Get the forms for the appropriate visa (i.e. 175/176) - if you are sponsored by a State you need to do those forms first.
3. Fill out forms and apply
4. You will be asked for a health checks and police checks. If for PR police checks will be for all applicants over age 18 for each country you've lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 yrs.
5. Waiting as each part of the process takes weeks or months.

Do a search for 176 visa as many people are going through those now. In the stickies there is a timeline thread and that gives you an idea of when things happen.

Note you should try to get sponsorship by a state or have your skill in the CSL list otherwise processing alone will be > 1 yr.

Thanks Amaslam,

I think your right, when I completed the "which visa to apply for", I ended up with the same visa options...

What would you think would be my next step?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again,

I'll start looking in to the 175 visa, as I think that one seems to suit my circumstances. I'm doubtful of sponsorship, but think I can use the my occupation as an advantage.

What would you think (or anyone) would be a minimum to take in sterling (GBP) to set up home in Aus. I'd like to know if i can make the move now (soon, subject to visa) or something I should be saving towards. I understand that each person has their own life style, but im just feeling the waters...

Thanks

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Hemel,

Some of the visas take about 12 months to process unless they are sponsorship ones and you are in demand so you have a while to think about money :)

If you check out the links in the 'PLEASE READ.....' post such as real estate you can start by estimating how much you would be spending on rent / mortgage, and there is a 'Cost of living' thread too. I know you may not know where you are going to live but it will help you create a picture of how much money you need.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
when u apply for state sponsorship, they ask you for asset proof, minimum requirement is 20KA$ for main applicant and 10K for each dependent. u can take it from there that u shud get atleast 30k for initial settling, anything more thn tht wont hurt, but less thn tht wont be suggested.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well.
after a bit more reading, I am gutted. My dream of living in Oz, is shattered... :-(

I simply don't have enough points, no sponsorship...! I think I am destined to live of misery in the UK.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Well.
after a bit more reading, I am gutted. My dream of living in Oz, is shattered... :-(

I simply don't have enough points, no sponsorship...! I think I am destined to live of misery in the UK.
Have you spoken to any migration agents?
Are your skills in demand? If so then you may be able to get sponsorship.
Have you investigated state and employee sponsorship?

Some of us (including myself and Dolly) were told we couldn't get in and yet here we both are.

If you really want this don't give up too easily - contact some agents since the first consultation is usually free, and see what they say.

Hope you find a way,
Karen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Karen - for the support!

I'll give it a try. But here's some more information about me, perhaps you can tell me straight your opinion.

I'm 29, and 30 in Aug 2010.
I dont have a degree or anthing like that, though I have 10 years exp in Banking (i'm not the one to blame for the banking crisis!)... most of which is retail branch management and recently (2 years) managing an IT team for the same bank.
I have completed my A-levels in Business (GNVQ), and have completed some additional courses through work, but nothing huge. I have completed an ITIL course in IT, and looking to move up the level next month.

I'm after a career in banking idally, and if I can't get through with IT, then I would go back to retail banking...

In addition to that, there is the flat I have, which has lost 50k of the purchase price!

I'll call a few migration companies and ask for their advise.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Hemel,

I'm not an agent and don't know the banking sector so my opinion would be worthless there - sorry.

I don't think you have the experience to get in IT - check the ACS (Australian Computer Society) - Membership, Professionalism and Leadership for ICT Professionals and the ICT Community for further info but I think you need about 4 years experience but things have changed since I was approved by the ACS.

As for your flat some property prices in the UK are starting to go back up again and it may take 6 - 12 months for the visa to be processed (depending on visa type) so that gives time for the property market to change and / or for you to save some money. There are have been posts about selling or renting out property in the UK and they can give you more info about that.

I interviewed 3 migration agents when deciding to move out here from the UK. The first two said we didn't stand a chance, the third said yes he thought we could get in and he was right. They tend to say whether or not they think you can get in and then it's up to you whether you want their help or you go it alone. We used an agent because we were running out of time due to our age (had to apply before 40 and we were 38 when we took the decision to move!) so we had to get it right first time.

Good luck and keep in touch,
Karen

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thanks Karen - for the support!

I'll give it a try. But here's some more information about me, perhaps you can tell me straight your opinion.

I'm 29, and 30 in Aug 2010.
I dont have a degree or anthing like that, though I have 10 years exp in Banking (i'm not the one to blame for the banking crisis!)... most of which is retail branch management and recently (2 years) managing an IT team for the same bank.
I have completed my A-levels in Business (GNVQ), and have completed some additional courses through work, but nothing huge. I have completed an ITIL course in IT, and looking to move up the level next month.

I'm after a career in banking idally, and if I can't get through with IT, then I would go back to retail banking...

In addition to that, there is the flat I have, which has lost 50k of the purchase price!

I'll call a few migration companies and ask for their advise.
Yes, give them a call, and see if they can help. Did you manage to find your profession on the SOL list?

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

Or maybe your wife works in a field that is on the list?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both my roles are listed, one of them being IT Manager, and the other Financial Institution Branch Manager (Bank)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Both my roles are listed, one of them being IT Manager, and the other Financial Institution Branch Manager (Bank)
according to my calculations you should qualify for a 176 state sponsored visa, with 110 points as Financial Institution Branch Manager IF you can get a state to sponsor you.

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

Could be difficult getting sponsorship as it is a 40 point occupation and not really 'in-demand'. Each state offers a different list of 'in-demand' occupations, so you should check if your is on there. Some states also have a limited number of state sponsorships for professions not on the list. I believe I saw something on the ACT website about this. I spoke with the Canberra office on the phone the other day and they were super friendly and helpful, and might be able to advise. Also this kind of visa could take 2 years to process.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Karen and Matjones,

I'll take a look at the migrant agencies, and look at the 176 visa option... finding state sponsorship will be a mission, though not impossible! 2 years, seems ok... hopefully the market will have recovered by then too...

Matjones, how do i start off findin state sponsorship?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thanks Karen and Matjones,

I'll take a look at the migrant agencies, and look at the 176 visa option... finding state sponsorship will be a mission, though not impossible! 2 years, seems ok... hopefully the market will have recovered by then too...

Matjones, how do i start off findin state sponsorship?
Each state has their own official website.

State Migration Centre - Western Australia
Work Live Play - Queensland
Immigrate to Work and Live in Melbourne and Regional Victoria, Australia - Live in Victoria - Victoria
Department of State and Regional Development - NSW
http://www.business.act.gov.au - ACT
Migrating to Tasmania : Migrating to Tasmania - Tasmania
Business and Skilled Migration - Northern Territory

you could also go back to school and go over on a student visa.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Each state has their own official website.

State Migration Centre - Western Australia
Work Live Play - Queensland
Immigrate to Work and Live in Melbourne and Regional Victoria, Australia - Live in Victoria - Victoria
Department of State and Regional Development - NSW
InTACT - ACT Government - ACT
Migrating to Tasmania : Migrating to Tasmania - Tasmania
Business and Skilled Migration - Northern Territory

you could also go back to school and go over on a student visa.
Hey what's wrong with South Australia! You missed them out :(
Here's the link for South Australia
Make The Move :: Requirements for State sponsorship

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not looking good, now that Matjones pointed out I could get in with a sponsored visa, I cant find my job on the regional lists...! :juggle:

I think I'll keep looking, and will see again in a few months. I don't want to give up so easily, but I dont think theres much point carrying on until something comes up... I'm not planning on coming over until 18 months ish, but ideally wanted to apply early next year...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts