Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone started an ITV Test thread before ?

Well this thread is obviously for British Expats who have yet to put their Spanish plate
LH or former British RH drive car ( on Spanish plates ) through the Spanish
ITV, certificate of road worthiness test.

The Spanish ITV is very much a driver participation event whereas the British
MOT is very much an after thought along the lines of - Oh my cars due for
an MOT in a couple of weeks time, so I'll call my garage to fit it in alongside my
12,000 mile service.
Yes most garages in the UK, also boast an MOT Test station & can fit in the
annual MOT alongside the annual car service or any other maintenance work.
Any shortfall's in the MOT are usually obligingly remedied by the garage after
notifying the driver of the fault and the cost to put it right - then and there.
As many UK garages have an MOT station on site or just next door whereas
here in Spain you have to attend a dedicated ITV Test centre.

Known MOT passes that will be an ITV failure in Spain

The most obvious one is if your car headlights are shining the wrong way
and there's the less obvious ones. Like not all four wheels having the
same Brand and tyre tread pattern. The ITV is looking for either all four
tyres with the same brand and tyre pattern or at least the 2 at the front being
one brand & pattern & the two at the back being one brand and tyre pattern.

British car owners in the UK who find that the tread on one tyre is falling
below the legal limit, are usually offered two choices, namely replace it
with the matching tyre brand & pattern or go for the cheap option.
Which could be any brand from any country eg Ukraine - that's less than
the full price of the branded tyre but meets the legal and MOT requirements
concerning tyre tread depth.

·
Registered
383 Posts
When I took my 5 year old Spanish Megane in for its ITV last january the guy said to go to the waiting room and he would call me when it was ready. Just 7 minutes later he came and said that it was ready. A very lucrative way to earn nearly 50 euros.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
One of us drives the car, the tester shouts instructions in German, why German? you ask, well everybody knows that here on the island of El Hierro, all foreigners are German…………

Yet to fail one though……….:)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
When I took my 5 year old Spanish Megane in for its ITV last january the guy said to go to the waiting room and he would call me when it was ready. Just 7 minutes later he came and said that it was ready. A very lucrative way to earn nearly 50 euros.
That is not normal.

The normal and proper way is
1. you book in and wait to be called.
2. when called you go into the lane you are directed to, meet the tester who will first check the emissions, including what comes out of the crankcase, if that passes, you can go onto the next part. If you fail the emissions test, that's it. They won't check any more, they aren't going to have your engine running and spewing out more that the permitted pollutants in the ITV shed.
3. then they check lights.
4. then it is on to the rolling road and dynamometer brake tests.
5. then the 'bend and break' tests where the machine tries to twist and bend the vehicle while they watch from underneath to see how well the suspension performs.
6. at various points, they check your horn, tyres, seatbelts, wipers/washers, engine for oil leaks and all the lesser ancillary things.

The tester will then send you to park up opposite the exit from the ITV shed. If you have passed, you will get the sticker to put on your windscreen. I prefer the ITV, you are there with the car and see what is being done, there is no incentive to fail you to get the business from carrying out the repair.

I think that is what it is all about but if I missed anything, I'm sure one of my eagle-eyed colleagues will point it out.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
The best thing about the ITV is that there is no conflict of interest. With the MOT the garage carrying out the MOT has an interest in failing the car so it can carry out the repair work. Whereas ITV centres only have one line of business - carrying out the ITV.

·
Registered
378 Posts
That is not normal.
If you time it, it takes little more than 7 minutes for the ITV test from start to finish. It is a production line after all.

The MOT is a much more thorough test and checks a lot more than is done on the ITV. I believe many cars which pass the ITV would fail the MOT.

One thing nobody has mentioned is that the ITV is as much about compliance with the original spec of the car - well at least that is what they would have you believe. Some aspects are farcical though. A small visible modification (even if it has no bearing on the safety or performance) will cause a car to fail whereas someone who has fitted an invisible chip boosing power by 35% will not be detected and sail through :noidea:.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
That is not normal.

2. when called you go into the lane you are directed to, meet the tester who will first check the emissions, including what comes out of the crankcase, if that passes, you can go onto the next part. If you fail the emissions test, that's it. They won't check any more, they aren't going to have your engine running and spewing out more that the permitted pollutants in the ITV shed.
5. then the 'bend and break' tests where the machine tries to twist and bend the vehicle while they watch from underneath to see how well the suspension performs.
6. at various points, they check your horn, tyres, seatbelts, wipers/washers, engine for oil leaks and all the lesser ancillary things.

The tester will then send you to park up opposite the exit from the ITV shed. If you have passed, you will get the sticker to put on your windscreen. I prefer the ITV, you are there with the car and see what is being done, there is no incentive to fail you to get the business from carrying out the repair.

I think that is what it is all about but if I missed anything, I'm sure one of my eagle-eyed colleagues will point it out.
I think there must be regional variations. I have probably done over 20 ITVs at two different test stations and at all of them the emission test came last.

I have done one MOT recently in the UK. I booked it in online at 9 o'clock on Sunday night for 7.3O the next morning - I could have done it any of a dozen or so places in this town. They cost £29.99. I needed a new tyre and, although the MOT was at a Halfords which did tyres, they suggested that I go around to the Kwikfit place to get it fixed as they were too busy - no question of dodgy dealing. Also, although I went and had breakfast while it was being done, I could just as easily have stayed and watched - they encourage it.

One difference is the interval required - every year after the third in the UK (I think) and every two years after the fourth and every year after the tenth in Spain. One of my vehicles was a van which needed an ITV every 6 months hence the number of times I've done it.

I think they do purges every so often in the ITV where they test one aspect more rigorously. For instance twice (only) they checked my engine oil and another twice they checked that the battery was secured properly.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
That is not normal.

I was going to say the same thing. I don't know about what they do exactly or in what order, but when either of us has taken a car to the ITV we have to drive it through, not the ITV worker.

·
Registered
235 Posts
So if you fail what is the score re coming back to re test after getting the required work done?
Do they give you a date and time to return and do you have to pay again?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I believe you book a new appointment time in the same way as the original one. They will then only check the item which failed. You do not pay anything if you do it within the set time - 2 weeks I believe?

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
I think there must be regional variations. I have probably done over 20 ITVs at two different test stations and at all of them the emission test came last.

I have done one MOT recently in the UK. I booked it in online at 9 o'clock on Sunday night for 7.3O the next morning - I could have done it any of a dozen or so places in this town. They cost £29.99. I needed a new tyre and, although the MOT was at a Halfords which did tyres, they suggested that I go around to the Kwikfit place to get it fixed as they were too busy - no question of dodgy dealing. Also, although I went and had breakfast while it was being done, I could just as easily have stayed and watched - they encourage it.

One difference is the interval required - every year after the third in the UK (I think) and every two years after the fourth and every year after the tenth in Spain. One of my vehicles was a van which needed an ITV every 6 months hence the number of times I've done it.

I think they do purges every so often in the ITV where they test one aspect more rigorously. For instance twice (only) they checked my engine oil and another twice they checked that the battery was secured properly.
It is a legal requirement that you are able to watch your car receiving its MOT test.
If the vehicle fails, you are presented with a failure sheet which states precisely why it failed to satisfy the test requirements.
You don't have to have the necessary work done at the garage where the test was carried out so it's nonsense to suggest that testing stations have an 'interest' in failing a vehicle.
MOT tests are carried out in accordance with strict standards. Testing stations can be inspected at any time by MOT Inspectors who book in cars anonymously to check that tests are being carried out properly.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Another question.
I bought mine second hand last year and i only have the sticker on the windscreen to indicate the month.
Does that date indicate that the next test has to be done before or after that month?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Mine is during that month.

I would have thought that if you asked at any ITV station in your province, they would be able to tell you the due date. They stamp it on your green sheet.

If you book a date before your runs out, the new ITV runs from that date and not the expiry date.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Another question.
I bought mine second hand last year and i only have the sticker on the windscreen to indicate the month.
Does that date indicate that the next test has to be done before or after that month?
Before the end of that month but, in fact, by the date in your docs. You should get a reminder sent to the registered address of the owner, at least that is what happens here, in Jaén province.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts