Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,
Does anybody know what the regulations for car tyres are to pass an ITV test? Our test is due next week and the tyres on the front of our car are a different make to those on the back. All have good tread and are not worn. Will the difference in manufacturer be a problem?
Many thanks
Pete

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hi There,
Does anybody know what the regulations for car tyres are to pass an ITV test? Our test is due next week and the tyres on the front of our car are a different make to those on the back. All have good tread and are not worn. Will the difference in manufacturer be a problem?
Many thanks
Pete
Hola

it is the tyre rating that matters; it defines speed and weight etc. If you get the wrong tester then they may object if you have different manufacturers on the same axle but most won't.

I suggest this clarification https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/consumer/learn/how-to-read-your-tire-sidewall-markings.html

I should add that it's best to turn up and accept what they tell you - they have no axe to grind by passing or failing. You have up to sixty days to correct the fault for a FREE retest so a tyre failure is easily dealt with. My technique is to go to my normal Tyre shop with the failure certificate and let them sort it out.

Davexf

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi
I moved to Spain from France with a Citroen Berlingo which had the original tyres as shown in the Citroen spec. and in good condition.
At the ITV they refused to pass the tyres as they were not those specified by them despite being shown the Citroen paperwork and the fact the car was only 18 months old.
I was forced to change all four tyres and on my return it was passed. When those tyres needed replacing I replaced them with the originals and the car was passed.
I think at the end of the day it will depend on the examiner.
Good luck.

G

·
I was once told that they had to be identical on the same axle. That is, the front two must be the same and the back two must be the same. But front and back can be different.
Absolutely correct, I can vouch for that myself. As my car failed the ITV because of the stipulation that the tyres have
to be all one brand and one trend or at the very least, the front and back pair must be of the same brand and tread.
At the time I was going through the process of changing my British Car to Spanish plates and whereas the British MOT makes no such distinction and I would have sailed through the MOT no problem, so long as the tread is well within the legal limit.
The ITV on the other hand are very particular on this point.

So don't fall for the old garage patter of the Goodyear tyres are this price and the Pirelli tyres are that price but
we can replace the worn tyre with a cheap one made in Ukraine.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Absolutely correct, I can vouch for that myself. As my car failed the ITV because of the stipulation that the tyres have
to be all one brand and one trend or at the very least, the front and back pair must be of the same brand and tread.
At the time I was going through the process of changing my British Car to Spanish plates and whereas the British MOT makes no such distinction and I would have sailed through the MOT no problem, so long as the tread is well within the legal limit.
The ITV on the other hand are very particular on this point.

So don't fall for the old garage patter of the Goodyear tyres are this price and the Pirelli tyres are that price but
we can replace the worn tyre with a cheap one made in Ukraine.
Hola

The vehicle import ITV test is different and much more expensive than the normal one or two yearly ITV test.

In the vehicle import test they are checking to make sure the vehicle conforms to manufacturers specification - as in the vehicle is "as it was when it rolled off the production line" which is not the same as a dealer selling it with added extras !!!

Davexf

·
Registered
99 Posts
...You have up to sixty days to correct the fault for a FREE retest...
But bear in mind that during this time you can only drive the vehicle to and from the repair facility and to the ITV centre for the retest. You cannot use it on a day to day basis.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
But bear in mind that during this time you can only drive the vehicle to and from the repair facility and to the ITV centre for the retest. You cannot use it on a day to day basis.
In my case they did let me drive the car for everyday use before the retest although I have to add that I
submitted the car to the ITV for both the ITV and to make sure the vehicle conforms to manufacturers
specification before the car was passed and accepted for Spanish plates by Traffico.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, a slightly different variation to the aforementioned question
I currently have a UK registered Bmw, the car has a variety of different tyre sizes specified on the papers. My question is can I have two almost identical tyres fitted to the same axle? I have two Goodyear eagle nct5 tyres on one axle, both the same size. 225/55R16, however one has the weight index and speed rating 95W the other is a 95Y, would they cause a problem bearing in mind they are both suitable for well over the design speed of the cat 245km/h?
I also have another pair of Michelin Primacy HP identicle size to the first pair, however with these I have one with the speed weight rating as 95W the other is only 97V, in the Uk it would fail as the car should have at least a W rated tyre, but as I’m on a smaller island in the canaries would this be a problem? After all it’s extremely unlikely I’ll be driving on any roads at over 149 mph
Lastly does it matter that one has 2mm tread and the other is new?
Headlamps for the car were a nightmare, held up in Madrid for customs and extra tax to be paid even though vat already paid
One month later !!!!
Many thanks

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Hi, a slightly different variation to the aforementioned question
I currently have a UK registered Bmw, the car has a variety of different tyre sizes specified on the papers. My question is can I have two almost identical tyres fitted to the same axle? I have two Goodyear eagle nct5 tyres on one axle, both the same size. 225/55R16, however one has the weight index and speed rating 95W the other is a 95Y, would they cause a problem bearing in mind they are both suitable for well over the design speed of the cat 245km/h?
I also have another pair of Michelin Primacy HP identicle size to the first pair, however with these I have one with the speed weight rating as 95W the other is only 97V, in the Uk it would fail as the car should have at least a W rated tyre, but as I’m on a smaller island in the canaries would this be a problem? After all it’s extremely unlikely I’ll be driving on any roads at over 149 mph
Lastly does it matter that one has 2mm tread and the other is new?
Headlamps for the car were a nightmare, held up in Madrid for customs and extra tax to be paid even though vat already paid
One month later !!!!
Many thanks
Put your car through a pre-test checkover at good garage and point out your questions. That's what we always do and the cars pass the ITV, first time, every time.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
If the tread pattern and branding of the tyres is the same, it will not matter if on one axle, one of the tyres exceeds the speed / load rating. However if either one is below the specified requirement, it doesn't matter if you live on a small island or not, it will fail*.

*What I mean by will fail, is actually "it should fail" but as we all know, it can be down to whether the ITV tester has a hangover or argued with their partner that morning or not....

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Of course the ITV uses its own language when assessing vehicles.

Either the ITV inspection result is favourable = pass or unfavourable = failed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
More importantly, how did you get into this situation? I'd never buy a car with non-matching tyres and would always replace both on the same axle with a matching pair (different brand etc - no problem)...?

·
Registered
884 Posts
You have up to sixty days to correct the fault for a FREE retest
Retests are NOT free, its down to the particular ITV station.

Also whether you can drive the car after a fail depends on how the fault or faults are categorised, if any are marked as 'Grave' then you can only drive to and from home or a garage where you have them rectified.

This is from 1st hand experience not guesswork or speculation.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Retests are NOT free, its down to the particular ITV station.

Also whether you can drive the car after a fail depends on how the fault or faults are categorised, if any are marked as 'Grave' then you can only drive to and from home or a garage where you have them rectified.

This is from 1st hand experience not guesswork or speculation.
Well your experience was either before the law changed about two years ago, or you went to a different test station, or you were scammed.

The latest ITV laws oblige the same test station to give free retests.

Also, it is not legal in Spain to drive without an ITV under any circumstances, the myth about driving to the test station is just that, a myth.

Well, there was an EU Directive released as part of the harmonisation process which allowed member states to incorporate a "grace period" before fines and sanctions for driving without the ITV passed could be imposed, but Spain did not take this option into its legislation.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Well your experience was either before the law changed about two years ago, or you went to a different test station, or you were scammed.

The latest ITV laws oblige the same test station to give free retests.

Also, it is not legal in Spain to drive without an ITV under any circumstances, the myth about driving to the test station is just that, a myth.

Well, there was an EU Directive released as part of the harmonisation process which allowed member states to incorporate a "grace period" before fines and sanctions for driving without the ITV passed could be imposed, but Spain did not take this option into its legislation.
Interesting as we don't get free re-tests around here either!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Interesting as we don't get free re-tests around here either!
Sorry, you made me doubt my statement so I chacked and in fact, it is not law that they are free.

The law changed to allow you to go to another test station for the re-test, and that second station can charge you the full price (i.e. it does not have to give you a free or discounted retest, even if that is their policy for their own previous customers).

Sorry for the incorrect advice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts