Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
36,849 Posts
At last...it's really raining. Heavy rain with thuinder and lightning.
Hope it goes on all weekend.:D
here too - no thunder & lightning though

dd1 on her school trip in Munich has winter clothes with her.......... it was 30º & sunny there today! 17º, cloudy & wet here

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
It's a public holiday so it will probably go on till Wednesday. :(

The motorbikers at the Jerez GP aren't so happy about it, but the sun did come out for an hour or so. We could hear them from five miles away.

·
Administrator
36,849 Posts

The motorbikers at the Jerez GP aren't so happy about it, but the sun did come out for an hour or so. We could hear them from five miles away.
we have public hols Tuesday & Thursday & the schools have a puente on Wednesday -Monday is an ordinary day

no doubt it will be good weather on Monday

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Our village is celebrating its Romeria on May 1st so I hope it stays fine at least for that day. We start with a short mass at nine in the morning then a procession of decorated carts, people on horseback, pedestrians etc. go through the village down to the river which may have some water in it by then. All in honour of San Isidro Labrador.
Then there is much eating, drinking, music until late at night. Families start marking out their 'pitches' a week before.

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
Our village is celebrating its Romeria on May 1st so I hope it stays fine at least for that day. We start with a short mass at nine in the morning then a procession of decorated carts, people on horseback, pedestrians etc. go through the village down to the river which may have some water in it by then. All in honour of San Isidro Labrador.
Then there is much eating, drinking, music until late at night. Families start marking out their 'pitches' a week before.
Look forward to seeing some photos!

Is it coincidence that San Isidro Labrador (which of course means labourer, not a dog) has his romeria on 1 May, Labour Day?

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's one of those religious festivals you'd approve of, Alca!!:)
You probably know that San Isidro is the 'worker saint'.
Our local Caritas branch produces an information leaflet that looks like a trades union pamphlet... it's got a picture of a crucified worker, in jeans and work shirt, carrying a hammer.
That's my kind of Catholicism.
For the people, with the people.
Sadly not always the case.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had a closer look at the pamphlet...it's not a crucified worker...guess that would have been a tad blasphemous. It's an exhausted worker being carried by JC.

·
Registered
19,456 Posts
Look forward to seeing some photos!

Is it coincidence that San Isidro Labrador (which of course means labourer, not a dog) has his romeria on 1 May, Labour Day?
I don't know about romeria, but his "day" is the 15th of May. I know because he is the patron Saint of Madrid and it's a holiday :clap2:.

See Wikipedia.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's San José Labrador here

·
Registered
896 Posts
Aww, show a little compassion for us bikers & give us a dry day today for the GP

Actually, you’ll be showing a little compassion for a lot of Spanish people as well. The last time I was at Jerez for the GP (2004 I think) it absolutely hammered down on race day and although it wasn’t very nice for us (we were camping at Estepona, the journey back was a nightmare and the tent was floating when we eventually got back!) I had to feel sorry for the masses of Spanish who had turned up in big family groups (as usual) complete with more cool boxes than I had ever seen before but had nowhere to sit because the hillsides where they would normally plant themselves for the day had turned into mudslides.

Fingers crossed

Doggy

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aww, show a little compassion for us bikers & give us a dry day today for the GP

Actually, you’ll be showing a little compassion for a lot of Spanish people as well. The last time I was at Jerez for the GP (2004 I think) it absolutely hammered down on race day and although it wasn’t very nice for us (we were camping at Estepona, the journey back was a nightmare and the tent was floating when we eventually got back!) I had to feel sorry for the masses of Spanish who had turned up in big family groups (as usual) complete with more cool boxes than I had ever seen before but had nowhere to sit because the hillsides where they would normally plant themselves for the day had turned into mudslides.

Fingers crossed

Doggy
I get your point...but I'm happy for the farmers around here especially our friend Pepe who has had to contend first with an unheard of frost earlier in the year...it has never been that cold in living memory...and then severe drought.
He and his workers have been praying for rain. Their livelihoods depend on it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
He's the patron saint of Estepona too. There's a huge festival there on the 15th which is also my birthday.
Here in my area its the festival of " San Marcos " and as allways it rained all day yesterday and was also very windy, they had to cancel a huge parade in a local town last night because of the weather which is a shame as people had been preparing and making new costumes for the " Parade of the Moors ".

p.s. Happy Birthday fot the 15th.:clap2::clap2:

·
Administrator
36,849 Posts
we're having Jesús Nazareno here

lots of bull running & toros embolados, some sort of open air live music every night from last night to Wednesday night, and a mascleta on Thursday

last night there was supposed to have been a disco móvil, but I suspect it didn't happen, cos I heard nothing & slept all night :)

usually that one keeps me awake till about 6am

G

·
The pamphlet looks vaguely homoerotic and I`m surprised no-one else mentioned this. OK, it`s not a Helmut Newton or Mapplethorpe, but it`s got a certain air to it. Just an opinion.

(runs for the hills)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts