Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yet another reminder for those people sweltering in the UK and the Cauldron, they
call the sweat basket of Spain, namely the Costa del Sol, Cordoba and Seville -
were absolutely steaming hot with temperatures sizzling between 47 C and
43 C in Seville.

For those wanting to escape the heatwave - airlines were inundated with enquiries
for flights to Norway, Iceland and even the Faroe Islands but wait cries one
TV weatherman - no need to cancel the family Ferry trip to Spain because some
members are not keen on the prospect of moving out of the UK Frying Pan
into the Spanish fiery heat of the Costa del Sol.
Merely take a right turn out of Santander and within 2 hours you can be
enjoying the rather cool weather that UK viewers have been reporting from
Asturias - where temperatures have only barely reached 25C in Oviedo
on Monday before the region was plunged into inland fog on tuesday
with the coast boasting cool onshore breezes leaving temperatures in
the 18 to 23 C range.
Today has been a rather placid 22C with the sky remaining hazy & overcast.

BBC news - Too hot to handle, the BBC looks at the weather across Europe

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
It's a cool 14C in Asturias this morning - lovely !!

Just a reminder for those Expats ( down south ) who are hibernating in their
air conditioned apartments today because it's far too hot outside.

Yet more breaking news from Asturias - yes it's 14C in Asturias this morning,
nice and cool and yes Asturian's can venture outside this week without
building up a sweat.
Has the sun come out in Asturias ? I hear you say - not yet but there
promises to be hazy sunshine if it doesn't rain today !!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just a reminder for those Expats ( down south ) who are hibernating in their
air conditioned apartments today because it's far too hot outside.

Yet more breaking news from Asturias - yes it's 14C in Asturias this morning,
nice and cool and yes Asturian's can venture outside this week without
building up a sweat.
Has the sun come out in Asturias ? I hear you say - not yet but there
promises to be hazy sunshine if it doesn't rain today !!!
Hazy sunshine, 14C, possible rain. If I had wanted weather like that I would have stayed in the UK :D

·
Registered
512 Posts
William stop promoting Asturias. I'm happy with it as it is ;)

I'll be in Asturias for most of the next 3 months so hope the sun appears every now and again. But in Asturias you cannot predict.

For sure my family home Madrid and my longer term home Cadiz are sweltering and even the spanish family complaining but I can live with that. Up at 5, snooze in the day, in the bodega for the evening, sleep like a log with all that fino inside. Life's a ***** :rolleyes:

Problem with Asturias for me is the bleak winter so it will remain a holiday home. But as William says well worth a visit if you haven't been. You might even see a bear up in them there hills :cool:

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hazy sunshine, 14C, possible rain. If I had wanted weather like that I would have stayed in the UK :D
Ah but you forget - there's a growing band of ( what you might call Crazy Brit's )
who prefer to summer in the cool and the shade.
Anyway full marks to me - for bringing it to the attention of the forum, that you can
summer in Spain without getting too hot and bothered. :eyebrows:

Finally before I forget - let's have a look at the temperature now - as displayed
on the local Farmacia neon sign, just down the road. Good news - the temperature
is now 19C, still overcast but the sun might just break through.

Anyway - happy sweating down south, lol.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
I'm not hibernating, and I don't even have air conditioning! Life continues perfectly as normal, the only changes I've made are that as of this week I'm taking a wheelie cabin bag to the gym as I don't want to lug my heavy gym bag about on my shoulder, and am using a fan in the bedroom at night. End of.

Of course, I don't live in Cordoba or Sevilla - which is no accident. I couldn't stand the 43/44 degree temperatures there this week.

But I'm with Dunworkin on this one. Overcast skies, chances of rain - no thanks. I bet those people looking for flights out to Scandinavian countries are outnumbered thousands to one by those coming the other way - we have plenty of Swedish and Norwegian part time neighbours who spend all day roasting themselves on the beaches or their terraces whilst they're here (which I don't do either).

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm not hibernating, and I don't even have air conditioning! Life continues perfectly as normal, the only changes I've made are that as of this week I'm taking a wheelie cabin bag to the gym as I don't want to lug my heavy gym bag about on my shoulder, and am using a fan in the bedroom at night. End of.

Of course, I don't live in Cordoba or Sevilla - which is no accident. I couldn't stand the 43/44 degree temperatures there this week.

But I'm with Dunworkin on this one. Overcast skies, chances of rain - no thanks. I bet those people looking for flights out to Scandinavian countries are outnumbered thousands to one by those coming the other way - we have plenty of Swedish and Norwegian part time neighbours who spend all day roasting themselves on the beaches or their terraces whilst they're here (which I don't do either).
Of course - but a temperate climate is just how I like it, thank you very much.
Going back to the BBC's John Hammond's weather report, in my original
post - Hottest temperatures for decades recorded across Europe and in the
Iberian Peninsular
- just need to correct, what was implied - that the heat plume
passed though all of Portugal and Spain before reaching the UK.

Not so Asturias !!! myself and the other natives of Asturias saw nothing of this
so called 'heat plume'

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
BBC issues a severe heat warning for Madrid and Seville

If there was any respite from the severe heat in Madrid, Seville and
Andalusia today. You can rest assured - it was only brief. The latest BBC weather
news - has issued a severe heat warning for many parts of Europe with temperatures
soaring again to 36 to 37C and beyond for those wilting under the heat,
down Andalusia way.

Meanwhile - my local Farmacia neon sign says - temperatures have
fallen back a tad to 18C - I kid you not - and I say again that's 18C
in Asturias !!

Which is also backed up - by my little old weather widget on my laptop.
Anyway - keep applying the old Suncream lotion ( factor 50 plus & beyond )
before venturing outdoors tomorrow.

BBC Weather - Once more the heat returns

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
:eek:
BBC issues a severe heat warning for Madrid and Seville

If there was any respite from the severe heat in Madrid, Seville and
Andalusia today. You can rest assured - it was only brief. The latest BBC weather
news - has issued a severe heat warning for many parts of Europe with temperatures
soaring again to 36 to 37C and beyond for those wilting under the heat,
down Andalusia way.

Meanwhile - my local Farmacia neon sign says - temperatures have
fallen back a tad to 18C - I kid you not - and I say again that's 18C
in Asturias !!

Which is also backed up - by my little old weather widget on my laptop.
Anyway - keep applying the old Suncream lotion ( factor 50 plus & beyond )
before venturing outdoors tomorrow.

BBC Weather - Once more the heat returns
Not everywhere in Andalucia, according to the Spanish press.
Bajan las temperaturas en Málaga a partir de mañana . SUR.es

I've been out and about all day today in Nerja, walking about a lot, haven't keeled over once, don't wear a hat, in Factor 6 sunscreen. It was 30 degrees when we went out at 11.00 am and 34 when we came back at 5.15 ( a couple of degrees less down at the coast), nothing out of the ordinary at all for summer.

18C is a typical winter's day temperature for us!:D

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Don't know what the temperatures are in Madrid but it said 30 people were treated for heat stroke on Tuesday. Apparently hot weather kills more people than cold weather. I tan easily, never get red and sore, but I always wear a high factor as I know/have known a few people with skin cancer.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't know what the temperatures are in Madrid but it said 30 people were treated for heat stroke on Tuesday. Apparently hot weather kills more people than cold weather. I tan easily, never get red and sore, but I always wear a high factor as I know/have known a few people with skin cancer.
Is it starting to swelter again in Madrid and Andalusia today ? anyway before you ask,
the temperatures in my part of Asturias still remains defiantly at 18C - yes
thats 18C in my corner of Spain. Whoopee !!!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I am not a person who thinks the hotter the better but 18C isn't hot enough for me:D

There is a trend now amongst younger families to take activity holidays so I suppose 18C would be ideal for a walking holiday or similar. High temperatures aren't good for sightseeing either. I was in Sevilla when it hit 42C and I didn't care what I was seeing, just wanted to get somewhere with AC:D

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
I'm 30km outside of Madrid and it's very hot here. It normally goes down in the evening in this area and you'll get a pleasant breeze and get a good night's sleep with a cotton sheet over you. Not this year.
I have to say though, much as I love Asturias I'm not sure I'd want 18º, which is a bit cool for me, and I certainly do not want the temps of Granada and the like, Valencia, Nerja and Tarragona have all been too humid and hot for me too, so I suppose I've just got used to the dry climate of Madrid

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm 30km outside of Madrid and it's very hot here. It normally goes down in the evening in this area and you'll get a pleasant breeze and get a good night's sleep with a cotton sheet over you. Not this year.
I have to say though, much as I love Asturias I'm not sure I'd want 18º, which is a bit cool for me, and I certainly do not want the temps of Granada and the like, Valencia, Nerja and Tarragona have all been too humid and hot for me too, so I suppose I've just got used to the dry climate of Madrid
Quite right - although temperatures have ambled up to the giddy heights of 25C
before moving back down to 24 or 23C by 5pm in the afternoon ( over the last
few days ) with a nice cool breeze blowing in from the sea.
For those who want to follow the cool temperatures of Asturias, choose Gijon
as your home town on your Weather widget.

Of course Asturias is great for activity holidays and of course your right,
residents must be saving a small fortune, on air conditioning costs over
the summer months.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Hierro Airport Weather
Now
Mostly Clear
Temperature: 24°C

Humidity:64% Wind Speed:39 KMH Wind Direction:N (350°) Barometer: 1020 mb Dewpoint:17°C Heat Index:25°C Wind Chill:24°C Visibility: 11 km Sunrise:6:19 AM GMT Sunset:8:10 PM GMT
Updated: 4:00 PM SAT JUL 4 2015

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's Sunday and it's time for yet another weather report from the Cool side of Spain.

Well Asturias resembles a typical rainy day in Wales with patches of fog and mist
everywhere and temperatures averaging 18C yet again !!!

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
NOW it's too hot - 40C here today when we went out at midday, and 38 when we came back at 7pm. We decided to go into Málaga Capitál for the afternoon as it would be likely to be cooler there, daft as it sounds. There is lots of shade in the narrow streets of the old town and today, as there usually is, a nice breeze blowing. The restaurant where we had lunch gave us a freebie ice cream as dessert, which was much appreciated.:)

Forecast to be even hotter tomorrow, but after that the temperatures are set to fall by around 5 degrees to a more normal level, thank goodness.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
40km out of Madrid and it's 16% humidity here this evening and 33º at 9pm. When my daughter arrives back from Málaga she says she can feel her skin cracking!

Despite all my efforts with windows and blinds to keep the temperature down, upstairs in my house is running at 30º. This is now Day 19 of maximum temperatures above 30º and it looks like there's another ten days to go, at least. Last night's minimum was 25.2º. For anyone reading from abroad and thinking, 'mmmm, lovely', it might be if you're on holiday with air conditioning everywhere and a delicious food brought to you. Living here is different! Today I had to clean the pool, in full sun, sweep leaves (already falling from trees in the drought) and weed the garden, then prepare a meal in the hottest room in the house. Then there's housework. With several cats the vacuum cleaner is essential, but it blows hot air at me! The cats are great at showing us the coolest places inside and out, and after gardening I felt like laying on the cool tiles like they do. As Jojo says, living here is the same as anywhere, you still have to clean the toilets, but at least the sun shines!

Spain having the second highest electricity prices in Europe means air conditioning is truly a luxury. I have it, but fear the next bill.

At least I got €1.41 for my each of my pounds today. :)

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
40km out of Madrid and it's 16% humidity here this evening and 33º at 9pm. When my daughter arrives back from Málaga she says she can feel her skin cracking!

Despite all my efforts with windows and blinds to keep the temperature down, upstairs in my house is running at 30º. This is now Day 19 of maximum temperatures above 30º and it looks like there's another ten days to go, at least. Last night's minimum was 25.2º. For anyone reading from abroad and thinking, 'mmmm, lovely', it might be if you're on holiday with air conditioning everywhere and a delicious food brought to you. Living here is different! Today I had to clean the pool, in full sun, sweep leaves (already falling from trees in the drought) and weed the garden, then prepare a meal in the hottest room in the house. Then there's housework. With several cats the vacuum cleaner is essential, but it blows hot air at me! The cats are great at showing us the coolest places inside and out, and after gardening I felt like laying on the cool tiles like they do. As Jojo says, living here is the same as anywhere, you still have to clean the toilets, but at least the sun shines!

Spain having the second highest electricity prices in Europe means air conditioning is truly a luxury. I have it, but fear the next bill.

That sounds awful, thankfully we have a temperate climate here in Valverde, El Hierro, no pool, no air-conditioning and just a pullover to two for December.

·
Registered
19,394 Posts

I'm in the UK as from Monday and what a relief! Monday night I crawled into bed with pijamas and a quilt and it was luxury!!
OH says it's still boiling in the sierra. We've had the same problem as you Liz with the house heating up in the first few days of the heatwave and with the temp not going down in the evening as much as it usually does it's just getting hotter and hotter, so I'm quite glad to be out of it now. Hope we're back to better temps by the time we get back!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts