Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hang on to your hats boys and girls. Looks like China just might get it clock cleaned for it and we will have a front row seat right in our own back yard. Lets just hope those ****** don't make the mistake of trying to launch an attack against the Philippines.

Read The Article HERE
(source: FOX News)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Hang on to your hats boys and girls. Looks like China just might get it clock cleaned for it and we will have a front row seat right in our own back yard. Lets just hope those ****** don't make the mistake of trying to launch an attack against the Philippines.

Read The Article HERE
(source: FOX News)
Not happy to hear this. My family is there alone.

·
Super Moderator
3,605 Posts
Hmmm..., could be, now's the time to do something before all these Chinese bases are completed but I thought we were waiting for diplomatic measures to take effect or play themselves out. I don't see us making a show of force either, it'll hurt US/China relations, what will end up happening is another zone we'll have to avoid and warn others to avoid.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Hmmm..., could be, now's the time to do something before all these Chinese bases are completed but I thought we were waiting for diplomatic measures to take effect or play themselves out. I don't see us making a show of force either, it'll hurt US/China relations, what will end up happening is another zone we'll have to avoid and warn others to avoid.
Same crap again

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kerry's Visit To China-Results?

China's relationship with the US is "stable" despite tensions in the South China Sea, President Xi Jinping told top American diplomat John Kerry Sunday, adding that the...

Read More Here
(source: Rappler)

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kinda like back in 1941 when the US politicians where crying that we should trust the words of the Japanese when they knew full well what we would likely would be in for.
They say that history can repeat itself. Now, I'm starting to see why.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Kinda like back in 1941 when the US politicians where crying that we should trust the words of the Japanese when they knew full well what we would likely would be in for.
They say that history can repeat itself. Now, I'm starting to see why.
I had a long post fully agreeing with this, but then deleted it to not be so controversial. I find it very disturbing as to the direction we seem to be going.

Fred

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a long post fully agreeing with this, but then deleted it to not be so controversial. I find it very disturbing as to the direction we seem to be going.

Fred
Fred, As long as it seems to you to be within forum rules, go ahead and post it. I can always edit or even delete it if needed--but I think we would all like to know your thoughts.

Jet:D

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Quote of someone much smarter than I "Some things are better left unsaid". I think I had better let the sleeping dog be unless something further develops. I have been around this world for quite some time (76 years) and I have learned to be a bit cautious, if possible. My daughter worked for the State Dept for quite a few years and I found, and fully understand, that they do have a long reach.

Fred

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote of someone much smarter than I "Some things are better left unsaid". I think I had better let the sleeping dog be unless something further develops. I have been around this world for quite some time (76 years) and I have learned to be a bit cautious, if possible. My daughter worked for the State Dept for quite a few years and I found, and fully understand, that they do have a long reach.

Fred
Good thinking Fred. I thought your post would be in a different direction but yea, Uncle Sam has a surprisingly long reach.

Have a good one,

Jet..

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
China Warns U.S. Surveillance Plane

Looks like China is going to start becoming vocal.

Follow The Story
{source CNN News}

·
Super Moderator
3,605 Posts
Chinese Navy Base

Looks like China is going to start becoming vocal.

Follow The Story
{source CNN News}
Looks like the air above will be Chinese also, maybe our military aircraft should say I thought this was a resort island? That was the Chinese response a couple of years ago, they mentioned they were building resorts.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like the air above will be Chinese also, maybe our military aircraft should say I thought this was a resort island? That was the Chinese response a couple of years ago, they mentioned they were building resorts.
Yea just land a few of those C-5's full of our boys ready for some R&R. Hope the Chinese plant some girls there or their soldiers and navy personal might have a problem . Is there a proctologist in the house :laugh:?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here is a post of mine from 4 March on another cite…

I am not an expert on the matter, but I presume China is mainly motivated by their oil-security policy and then the fish and shipping rights are just secondary bonuses.
I believe it serves China’s interests to always try to deal with countries on a one-to-one basis and avoid dealing with blocks of countries or groups of countries, like ASEAN. This approach is China’s current policy.
Nobody wants a war over this issue and that works in China’s favour for the long game.
It might be clever for China to increase the number of citizens that they have in the area, as well as expanding islands. More Chinese citizens in the area aids China in saying that they must “protect their citizens”. I believe they used their citizens in this way in Tibet in 1950-51.

What is to stop China?
The U.S. Navy is unmatched, but still how could they stop China, without starting a war?
The U.S. Navy will not bump a Chinese vessel and tell it to leave because it is in an ally’s waters.
By what legal precedent could the U.S. do anything to stop the expansion of territory which is not the U.S.’s territory?
The U.S. does participate in joint military exercises with other nations in the region. Perhaps a multi-national force, some members of which claim a certain island, could announce and practice an amphibious landing on the disputed island. It might be clever to include Taiwan in the multi-national force. THAT would bring the matter to a head.
But, as much as China would complain to the media, it will always insist on not having the matter taken up by a multi-nation organisation like ASEAN or UN, because they believe they need to always be the largest and most powerful force in a disagreement/conflict (ref. Sun Tzu’s “The Art of War”).

I presume that China will increase its control in the region over the years. At some point, China will then more strongly enforce their claim to the area by demanding that ships or planes seek their permission to enter the area. They have already done this in the past, but in the future they will send up jets to threaten airlines and use their navy to impound ships.
When this starts happening on a wide enough level and to several different countries, the world will start to unite and before conflict erupts, China will strike a free passage agreement, which includes acknowledgements that the territory is China’s.
Free passage through water ways and airways are the U.S.’s only real interest in the area, because the U.S. does not have territory in the area.
China’s offer of free passage while maintaining the rights to the territory and its resources (fish & hydrocarbons) will diffuse the tension (with the U.S.) and strengthen China’s claim to the area.
The world may protest. The world may go so far as sanctions, but the world does not see the benefit of a war with big powers.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts