Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ECATEPEC DE MORELOS, Mexico — Isabel Valdez Rodríguez is expecting to pick up two free 24-inch digital televisions — one for herself; the other for her mother — courtesy of President Enrique Peña Nieto’s government.

Her windfall, just two coupons printed with a promise at this point, is part of the government’s effort to switch the country to digital television. To help Mexico’s poorest citizens keep pace with technology, officials are vowing to give away 10 million free televisions.
Read more: Free TVs in Mexico Are Seen as Having Political Strings Attached

Sunday is a big day in Mexico, politically speaking.

+Federal elections for the LXIII Legislature: Chamber of Deputies [500 members]

State elections:

+Baja California Sur - elections for governor, state legislature [21], and 5 municipal presidents

+Campeche - elections for governor, state legislature [35], and 11 municipal presidents

+Chiapas - elections for state legislature [41], and 122 municipal presidents

+Colima - elections for governor, state legislature [25], and 10 municipal presidents

+Federal District - elections for Legislative Assembly [66], and 16 delegation chiefs

+Guanajuato - elections for state legislature [36], and 46 municipal presidents

+Guerrero - elections for governor, state legislature [46], and 81 municipal presidents

+Jalisco - elections for state legislature [39], and 125 municipal presidents

+México (State of …) - elections for state legislature [75], and 125 municipal presidents

+Michoacán - elections for governor, state legislature [40], and 113 municipal presidents

+Morelos - elections for state legislature [30], and 33 municipal presidents

+Nuevo León - elections for governor, state legislature [42], and 51 municipal presidents

+Querétaro - elections for governor, state legislature [25], and 18 municipal presidents

+San Luis Potosí - elections for governor, state legislature [27], and 58 municipal presidents

+Sonora - elections for governor, state legislature[33], and 72 municipal presidents

+Tabasco - elections for state legislature [35], and 17 municipal presidents

+Yucatán - elections for state legislature [25], and 106 municipal presidents

Free TVs for everyone! :peace:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
El PRI es siempre Contigo !!! :D

·
Super Moderator
9,045 Posts
For any forum members eligible to vote on Sunday, I hope you don't live in an area where the CNTE has been burning paper ballots.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Say hello to ley seca from midnight tonight till 12:01AM Monday, no liquor sales ANYWHERE ANYTIME, including all inclusive resorts. Only good thing is the lost revenue for restaurants and bars is in the low season, $30K cash peso fine for violating, or jail until you can pay it.......

·
Registered
145 Posts
For any forum members eligible to vote on Sunday, I hope you don't live in an area where the CNTE has been burning paper ballots.
Burning draught cards, burning bras, now burning paper ballots in some states SOTB? What in the heck is this world coming to? 'THAT MEANS YOU TOO , HILLARY":eek:

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Say hello to ley seca from midnight tonight till 12:01AM Monday, no liquor sales ANYWHERE ANYTIME, including all inclusive resorts. Only good thing is the lost revenue for restaurants and bars is in the low season, $30K cash peso fine for violating, or jail until you can pay it.......
There have been and continue to be exceptions to the ley seca at election time. I recall being in Acapulco during various election periods over the years, and liquor was served. The "catch" always was that one had to purchase some item of food in order to be served liquor. You couldn't walk into OXXO and buy a bottle of beer, or tequila though. I just saw an article in Mexico City's La Prensa newspaper in which it was said that just such an exemption to the ley seca in the state of Quintana Roo will be allowed June 7th. I'm assuming similar exemptions will be allowed in some other tourist enclaves in the country as well. Click here so see a Google Translate version of that La Prensa article.

·
Super Moderator
9,045 Posts
"El PRI es siempre contigo"
What is that?
What does it mean? Where did it come from?
That is not proper Spanish
How would you change it to make it proper Spanish? The meaning is clear enough to me, Gary.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
In the US, wealthy voters buy the candidates. In Mexico, wealthy candidates buy the voters. Beats me which is better, or worse.
LOL. It seems you have to be way up in the business world to benefit greatly from any elected official these days. At least some social programs are still alive, for now, in both countries for the rest of us and others not so fortunate as to be connected to the big business beneficiaries. :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts