Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my landlord dropped a bomb today and told me the following adu dhabi's decision to scrap 5% rent increase cap, dubai will soon publish a news that it too has taken the same position.

what are you folks hearing out there?:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::ranger::ranger::ranger::ranger::ranger::ranger::ranger::ranger::ranger::ranger::jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
What do you expect a landlord to tell you ? That things will stay the same.? Is he

It's highly unlikely that he knows more than you or I whereas he has a desire to believe it will change because he will get more money, most would say there is still a surplus of accommodation in Dubai and the laws of supply and demand will continue to apply.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What do you expect a landlord to tell you ? That things will stay the same.? Is he

It's highly unlikely that he knows more than you or I whereas he has a desire to believe it will change because he will get more money, most would say there is still a surplus of accommodation in Dubai and the laws of supply and demand will continue to apply.
^^^ This.....

If it happens it happens but in the meantime dont be so naive ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Abu Dhabi and Dubai are two different areas

Is this wishful thinking by your landlord or based on fact from a reliable source?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Don't worry, in 6 months time, Abu Dhabi will realise what a mistake they have made and reinstate it.

Ignore what your LL is saying, he's just trying it on.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It looks like protection of tenants is improving rather than worsening to limit the risk of a new bubble, so I don't think Dubai will follow this example.
Anyway, the limit of 5% is not applicable in Dubai either, the maximum increase here is 20% but subject to the allowed increase in the online rental increase calculator of RERA.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
It looks like protection of tenants is improving rather than worsening to limit the risk of a new bubble, so I don't think Dubai will follow this example.
Anyway, the limit of 5% is not applicable in Dubai either, the maximum increase here is 20% but subject to the allowed increase in the online rental increase calculator of RERA.
Well if what you're paying is outside 25% of the market rate for your area, then your LL can ONLY increase by 5% - so actually it does exist. There are increments as to how much a LL can increase, depending how for outisde the market rate a tenant is paying.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well if what you're paying is outside 25% of the market rate for your area, then your LL can ONLY increase by 5% - so actually it does exist. There are increments as to how much a LL can increase, depending how for outisde the market rate a tenant is paying.
That's what i was trying to say.
These laws and amendments can be downloaded in pdf format at the site of the online rental increase calculator of RERA.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Actually Dubai has got a bit better at controlling rents and defending tenants rights in the past couple of years by introducing AND enforcing the rental increase calculator and setting up the rent committee. This was implemented within the last couple of years so I doubt it would get scrapped just like that (fingers crossed).

Your landlord is simply just another of the numerous examples of greedy landlords and of what is wrong with this city.

I really hope you don't let him intimidate you and you hold your ground. That's what we all should we doing if we want this situation to not get worse. Every single person who vacates without putting up a fight is contributing to the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts