Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured the title would get your attention, if you follow the posts & commenters on a regular basis It was purely intended as a humorous poke, but also a continuation of something Citlali posted about the other day.

I found this article and gave it a read this morning called "Mexico Is Not a Functioning Democracy" from an outfit that calls itself "Foreign Policy" (depends on who & whose interpretation, I guess). Anyway, as I read it, I could imagine many a head bobbing in agreement & horrified amazement from up North... especially if their main source of information about Mexico is the histrionically-driven organ referred to as "the media" here. Even so, I found some things in the article for which I could see a basis in its assertion(s)... and even agree with; but largely I felt it was alarmist in nature.

Still, as has become my habit, when I read items like this I have to wonder what my friends of the Expat community are seeing or feeling from down where it is (supposedly) happening. There's nothing better than getting the vibe from those whose ear is already to the ground, so to say. Also, another habit I've cultivated is to continue to read farther into the comments sections, starting with the oldest comments first, to see what others are observing from both in Mexico & elsewhere. If the discussion doesn't end up in name-calling, political ostracization or advertising chaos, it can sometimes become as interesting or informative as the article itself.

So here it is, give 'er a read when you get a chance. I'd really be interested in hearing your take on the article and / or the comments attached to it. This type of discussion among you is what I feel to be even more relevant - and honest.

Mexico Is Not a Functioning Democracy | Foreign Policy

Have a great day everybody!! :)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
One can easily say this about the USA and its Congress.

Reactions: Howler

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The news article is from the right wing conservative view. The Washington Post, right wing, is tied to this Foreign Policy site. It is what I expected from this type of site and wasn´t disappointed. It is not only these views that perform well in America but when they mentioned Anabel Hernadez, the Mexican conspiracy theorist, I had to laugh. She is full of it.

·
Super Moderator
9,023 Posts
The news article is from the right wing conservative view. The Washington Post, right wing, is tied to this Foreign Policy site. It is what I expected from this type of site and wasn´t disappointed. It is not only these views that perform well in America but when they mentioned Anabel Hernadez, the Mexican conspiracy theorist, I had to laugh. She is full of it.
I haven't read the article, but I did want to mention that it's the Washington Times that is a right-wing rag, owned by the leader of the Moonies. I've never thought of the Washington Post as right-wing.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One can easily say this about the USA and its Congress.
That was one of the comments that made me laugh out loud! However overt one could feel the problem is the same in the US, there is something to be said for "not pointing a finger... because of the others pointed back at you (from the same hand)"!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, an additional question to throw into the discussion: Most Expats move to Mexico for the economic advantage, a slower pace of living and (presumably) less stress in their lives. How many could say they moved because of the political situation in the US or Canada? What was it, in particular, about the politics that caused you to move?

Again, just curious - but interested in hearing from you.

·
Super Moderator
9,023 Posts
The article lost me when it tried to argue that the reforms of the education system were a bad thing.
Mexicans who tend to oppose anything the government does also oppose these reforms and support the teachers unions who've been opposing them (often violently in the streets) for the last couple of years.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The article lost me when it tried to argue that the reforms of the education system were a bad thing.
Have you ever read any article from US economists about Mexico´s economy that did not have all the details of the current situation [left them out] to "prove" how Mexico´s economy isn´t good for any, foreign or domestic, business and also play up corruption and bad governing, insecurity? This article posted above is just more typical reporting and is half truths and speculations at best. IMO. Where is the proof.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts