Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiance (native of Nepal waiting for her fiance K-1 Visa approval) and I want to retire in 2-4 years but cannot afford to here in USA. I have looked at many countries but haven't yet found one I thought I could actually live in, thought some are possibilities. She likes cities, nite live, shopping (duhh?) etc.., while I like beaches, nite life, mountains, national parks, nature stuff. I've checked out; Costa Rica (expensive, too many ******'s), Panama (why didnt i buy land in Boquete in "04?)(P.C. too hot and humid), Mexico (******'s, drug war), Nicaragua, Colombia, Margarita Island Venezuela (i'd get bored and Chavez!), Ecuador (??), Peru, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay (?), Brasil (oh, the women!), (Florianopolis?), Nepal (Kathmandu is horrible and govt. is about to collapse.), and recently Thailand's southern islands. I've ruled out all western/EU countries as they're all too pricey.
My first question is what to do with my money? How to invest it, relatively safely, here in USA I guess, and get a decent return so we can live on the interest? Where can I put it so I could get, say, 4% return, (after taxes and say 3% inflation)? If all goes well (?) we should have about, $5-600,000.usd by then, but i'm not eligable for social security for another 10 years. Am I dreaming? Also we live very cheaply and dont need much luxury. It also depends on if she is ever allowed a US Visa, because if not, then as a citizen of Nepal, which countries will allow her/us to live there. Any constructive ideas appreciated. :ranger:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, then assume some risk, or am i aiming too high and should figure 3%? jeez, that'll be like thatch hut OFF the beach.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts