Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an outstanding Notice of a traffic violation in Florence (restricted zone Siena). Does anyone know if the municipalities pursue these through Collection Agencies in the UK and have they the means?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Often they do. My understanding is eventually they sell the fine to a debt collection company.

Your car or a rental?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The days when you could safely ignore traffic fines incurred in Italy are past. This has actually made Italian roads safer as many of the people you used to see doing crazy speeds on the autostrade were from elsewhere in Europe, thinking they would be immune.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,834 Posts
Hi,
There is very little the Italian authorities can do to chase their traffic fines in the UK.
They may send you the fine notices through the post and you might ignore them.
If they decide to pursue you through a UK debt collectors (who have very little legal powers and are not bailiffs) then they would be unlikely to receive any monies collected.
If they pursued you through the UK courts - then again, they won’t get the money received.
Up until you point that you get a court summons - you can ignore any threatograms that you receive.
The biggest potential problem is if you go back to Italy with outstanding fines in the system.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would think you would be alright, but if you return to Italy in that vehicle and get stopped by the police you will have problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts