Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone

I have a rather complicated query regarding guidance on obtaining my EU passport/Citizenship etc if anyone can elaborate on what I am about to disclose I would appreciate it.

Father is registered with the Italian and French embassy in South Africa JHB but never registered myself and I am born in South Africa and am 25.

My hope is to, with some patience and guidance find a way to obtain my heritage from this link with my father.

I understand that a marriage certificate detailing my mother and father is required as well as I need to register myself at a cost in Euros and need to complete specific forms. I have an unabridged birth certificate to prove my relation.

Is it possible with the above info to do what I hope to do?

Also, hypothetically what impact would them suddenly getting a divorce have on my obtaining any ancestral assistance.

Also kind words of advice are welcomed and please, I encourage you to be as detailed as possible. I have time, money and patience if those are the main cost factors of getting what I hope for.

Kind regards
Tyronne

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My father is infact both registeted with both embassy databases.

I believe its because his father was italian and born in switzerland
And his mother german but lived somewhere in france for some time.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
My father is infact both registeted with both embassy databases.

I believe its because his father was italian and born in switzerland
And his mother german but lived somewhere in france for some time.
If your father is French, then you can ask your local French Consulate what you need to do (I would have thought if he is registered with the French Consulate that he is in fact French, but your response is not clear).

Since you know that he is Italian, you could ask the Italian Consulate (and/or post the question on the Italy section of the forum).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marvelous.

Indeed, my english was atrocious there.

He is french born in the republic of congo and was registered with the french embassy in addition to the italian however my preference is to go the french route.

Thanks so much ill give them a call though first thing in the morning

·
Administrator
50,773 Posts
Just a further question - you say your father was registered with the French consulate, but did your parents register their marriage with the French authorities (i.e. obtain a livret de famile)? You mention that your parents may be getting a divorce, but what is critical is your father's status at the time of your birth. Is he mentioned on your birth certificate (and is he mentioned along with his nationality at the time)? Those sorts of details can make the process quite a bit smoother, or quite a bit more rocky.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks bev for your response:

He did. not register the marriage so i will have to handle that and then ofcourse the divorce following.

He is mentioned on my birth certificate however it does not reveal his nationality.

I believe due to lack of follow ups from the parents my process will be the rockiest

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Thanks bev for your response:

He did. not register the marriage so i will have to handle that and then ofcourse the divorce following.

He is mentioned on my birth certificate however it does not reveal his nationality.

I believe due to lack of follow ups from the parents my process will be the rockiest
It's not that hard, especially if you have a marriage certificate that shows your parents were married at the time of your vote, or for example it was your father who registered your birth - what's required is some kind of evidence that your father accepted you as his daughter. A subsequent divorce makes no difference either. (I speak from experience :) )

It's just a multi-step process, which starts with an application for a certificat de nationalité française (the consulate will forward the application to Paris as this is a document that is obtained from the tribunal d'instance). Once you have that it's fairly straightforward - you submit a request to the consulate for a French version birth certificate (the Consulate produces this itself), the you can apply for your carte d'identité and/or passport. I applied for my certificat de nationalité française through the tribunal d'instance here in Pau, which made the process somewhat quicker. But I would suspect that once you have all the supporting documentation in hand for your applications it will likely take up to a year, or maybe two, providing all your supporting documentation is in order.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopeful..thank you so much hey. Truly you live up to that name and its nice to know you were in my shoes but ill follow your guide and keep you posted.

Thanks buddy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts