Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am interested in finding out what the job market is like in Australia, this is the only part concerning me and preventing me from diving in head first.

I work as a graduate level Java developer / consultant (experience with J2EE/Oracle etc), over here at the moment the IT sector has taken a good hit, I'm curious to know if Australia has the same environment at the moment?

I'm looking at the Melbourne / Brisbane areas, but would consider others.

Should I register with some job agencies, the Australia equivalent to Monster to put some "feelers" out to see if I'm good enough?

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi James,

I would take a look at some of the job websites to see what's available. Most of the adverts will be for people who already have a visa to work here but they will give you an idea of what's going on.

Although I do some work as an IT contractor it's usually with companies in the UK and I work from home so I can't tell you want the market is like here.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi James:

Can you specify what a 'graduate' level programmer is?

Does that mean you have a bachelors or masters degree in Computer Science and then professional experience?

Melbourne is a good area for IT and so is Sydney, after that you have few jobs in places like Brisbane, Canberra, Perth, but still good pay rates.

If you do want to register and apply look at: seek.com.au and careerone.com.au

It would also help if you were active on some IT related forums that have AU members. That would get you in touch with people doing similar work.

Hi,

I am interested in finding out what the job market is like in Australia, this is the only part concerning me and preventing me from diving in head first.

I work as a graduate level Java developer / consultant (experience with J2EE/Oracle etc), over here at the moment the IT sector has taken a good hit, I'm curious to know if Australia has the same environment at the moment?

I'm looking at the Melbourne / Brisbane areas, but would consider others.

Should I register with some job agencies, the Australia equivalent to Monster to put some "feelers" out to see if I'm good enough?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts