Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a software developer with 7 years of Indian experience, I have a PR and I am planning to relocate to Australia soon.What are my chances in the present job market?..

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi anureshmp,

Use the forum search function - this question comes up every week. Better yet, do a bit of your own research. The job market is ok, but getting the first job can be hard because you have no local experience and no personal network yet.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have been following these blogs for a long time now.
And since iv now got a job in Australia, I thought I should share my two cents worth of thoughts.
I am a business analyst, with total 10 years of exp and 7 years of Business analysis experience.
I got my PR 2 years back, but was on a back foot whether to come immediately or at the so called right time.
I came to Syney 1st August and got a job offer on 1st October and another one on 4th October. Both the jobs are for mid-level BA (I was a senior BA in my old co)
But there are somethings which I think ppl who are going to move to Australia without a job need to really consider before moving here
1. The job market is average. Many of the ads on seek are the same job from different recruiters. So though it may appear like there are many jobs, there are actually much less.
2. Australia is very very very expensive, esp if you don’t have a job. The rent will eat you alive.
3. While taking a place on rent or on share basis a lot of people prefer if you have a job, and are at times not so willing to give a place on rent to ppl who are looking out for jobs. This would be case to case basis. So have your plan in place on where you would stay, how you will search for a job etc.
4. If you don’t have a support system here, friends or family it can be really difficult. At times it can be very depressing, and it’s definitely a big test of your patience.
5. You need to carry a good amount of money to stay here without a job for atleast 4 months. (about 8000 AUD) if you are single.
6. People would suggest not to join casual work, but I think to combat the huge expenses it would be good to get a part time job atleast. However, since I had no skills with call centre or another other field other than my own banking sector, I had difficulty finding that too.
7. I did come to Melbourne last year to survey the job market, but one cannot compare last year with this year, and so on.. each year will be different.
8. Job searching is irritating to say the least. You apply for 50 jobs, and then maybe one recruiter will call you up.
9. I had 3 interviews, and I got an offer from 2 of the companies. But it was an agonising wait, cause the whole process took a month, and I was spending dollars with no income.
10. Keep an open mind to go back, if you don’t get a single interview call in say 3 months. So build your contacts here in Australia, and in your home country in the case you have to go back. I know people with good work experience and skills who have’nt been able to land a decent job here, and some who have got it within a month, so luck is a big factor. Truly evaluate why you want to move to Australia before making the jump. The old saying ‘the grass looks greener on the other side applies’ here.
If I have to say the things that worked for me, it would probably be:
1. Meeting and calling up recruiters after applying for a job posting.
2. I used Seek and Linkedin a lot.
3. Tweak your CV to fit the requirements on the job posting, but do not apply if for example its mentioned BA with good SQL query knowledge, but your SQL skills are just basic.
4. Presentation and good communication skills. Dress well, talk well, and prepare for the interviews.
5. Also that I had 8 years of continuous experience with a world-wide well known bank, hence local experience was not an issue for me. But if your company less known then ppl might ask for local experience.
6. I also found the people in Sydney to be very open minded and friendly. And that was a huge plus in coming here.

Hope the above was helpful

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts