Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

It all seems so complicated!

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Crabtree 
#1 ·
First post so please be kind :)

We have been considering moving to Brittany for quite some time. We own our home here in the UK, and will be keeping it, buying a property in France for a holiday home in the short term, with the intention moving and semi retiring in a couple of years. Our home here will be part of the employment package for the person who will be managing our small business, and we will still receive an income from this business.
I am trying hard not to romanticise the idea of retiring to France, and find out all the information we need regarding taxes in both countries, expenses we havent considered, wills etc. but am finding the more I read, the more I get confused
Can anybody point me in the right direction please just to get me started before we go further
:confused2:

#2 ·
To some extent, it is kind of complicated. And to be perfectly honest about it, you'll never really understand it until you've lived here for a while and start to "get" the differences in the cultures.

Becoming an expat is, to some extent, taking a giant leap into the unknown and resigning yourself to the notion that you'll figure it all out as you go along. There are no guarantees. And, depending on the results of the upcoming elections in the UK, you may wind up becoming part of the foreign population that will be subject to visas and all that implies. (Trust me, it's tricky, but if you really want to move to France, you will figure it out as you go along.)

First thing - what is it you want to accomplish? Then, once you know that, what's the worst possible scenario? Can you live with that?
Cheers,
Bev

#3 ·
Yes, France is different from the UK, and is complicated in different ways. As Bev says, you need to understand how French administration works through "French eyes". If you lookat it with "English eyes" it's a nightmare.

Some assumption for my points below. If I've got it wrong, tell me.

- Long term you will b living in France, and therefore tax resident in France and not the UK

- you have income from the UK in various forms.

- you have a house the UK

1. Quite simply, if you are resident in France then you pay the taxes etc here. It takes a bit of time to get used to filling in the Fr tax forms, but we can help here. Changing tax residency from UK to France involves a bit of effort, but it helps you understand how things work.

2. For wills you need to understand the Fre system is different from the UK - you cannot disinherit your children - even those from previous marriages etc. The law is changing, international will may be accepted in FRance - but don't count on it. What I did was to make a UK will which specifically excludes French assets. Then with a notaire at the time of French house purchase I made French will that covers right of survivor to live in the house until their death etc. In France there are several options available, each with their + and -.

3 The notaire will advise you how your UK marriage will be interpreted in France - there are options! This is especially important if you have children from previous marriages or any family relations in France. It's not complicated - but you need to have good advice to steer you through the details.

Good luck!

DejW

#4 ·
Hello Oldgal - my wife and I moved to France (permanently) 7 years ago and everything went smoothly, aided by our love of France and French people, and our very good level of French.

There are other threads about joys and problems of keeping a holiday home and actually enjoying time in it. One thing seems to be clear if you are house-hunting - prices shown in UK agents' websites (whether in France or the UK) will be dearer than prices quoted by French agencies. In fact now 50% of house sales bypass the estate agent system - a notaire handles the paperwork for buyer + seller.

Have a look at the leboncoin website for Brittany - there will be a lot of houses for sale, with ads displayed by individuals and agencies - tho' agencies have to declare that they are businesses.

In the short term - ie having a holiday home - there are local taxes to pay, insurance .... but it is better to ask specific questions on these matters.

If eventually you move to Brittany permanently (one cold, wet windy area to another, though at least there is no snow in Brittany just now) you will have more experience and knowledge and as with us, things should go smoothly regarding tax, healthcare and day to day life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.