Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, can anyone tell me about life on Isle of Dogs? The schools seem well-rated and the housing reasonable. Mud Chute seems a plus for small children. Any expat families living here? I'd love to hear your experiences.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hello, can anyone tell me about life on Isle of Dogs? The schools seem well-rated and the housing reasonable. Mud Chute seems a plus for small children. Any expat families living here? I'd love to hear your experiences.
I haven't lived in Isle of Dogs but know the area. There's a great farm you can visit in Mudchute so if your kids like animals then that's a plus! It's a more modern area, being so close to Canary Wharf, so lots of high rise buildings and such, therefore it loses some of the British charm, but I agree that prices are every so slightly more reasonable (for London) there. You're also then very close to Greenwich, which is one of my favourite places in London! Good for kids but also a great place to go for just the adults. They have a fantastic food market on the weekend with so many different tasty options (especially the vegetarian Ethiopian stand, and I'm not even vegetarian). I can't speak to the schools, but although there's a lot of business in the area, you're still close to many other lovely areas of London from there, and the DLR train is definitely more comfortable than the underground!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply emu77. I hear amazing things about Greenwich, and that's on our list too. However, the good schools are all oversubscribed, and I don't seem many private options (the one I found had bad reviews, but I guess I'd have to visit it to know more). I will dig a little deeper on Greenwich as it does seem like a lovely area and my husband and I are big fans of London's many food markets.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank you for your reply emu77. I hear amazing things about Greenwich, and that's on our list too. However, the good schools are all oversubscribed, and I don't seem many private options (the one I found had bad reviews, but I guess I'd have to visit it to know more). I will dig a little deeper on Greenwich as it does seem like a lovely area and my husband and I are big fans of London's many food markets.
You could also maybe look at Blackheath? It's on the other side of Greenwich park and I hear good things. Again, couldn't speak to the schools but in general I hear it's nice. With the Greenwich area there are a lot of less nice places surrounding it so just as a head's up I'd avoid Deptford and New Cross. It's cheap to live there for a reason!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I'll take a look at Blackheath. Thanks for the warning out those other areas. I hear good things about Lewisham too, so I might do some research in that direction as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.