Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've a PhD (in Engineering) and a total full time equivalent experience of 4 years (2 years @ 40 hrs/wk and 4 years @ 20 hrs/wk, latter during my PhD as a research assistant). Anyone here who has some idea if experience as a research assistant can be counted towards total experience? I know that research assistants have a NOC code 4012 (Post-secondary teaching and research assistants), but I have seen comments elsewhere that the experience gained while you are a PhD student may or may not count.

Appreciate any feedback.

PS - my research assistantship was salaried, not a scholarship (and I paid taxes)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Hi,

I've a PhD (in Engineering) and a total full time equivalent experience of 4 years (2 years @ 40 hrs/wk and 4 years @ 20 hrs/wk, latter during my PhD as a research assistant). Anyone here who has some idea if experience as a research assistant can be counted towards total experience? I know that research assistants have a NOC code 4012 (Post-secondary teaching and research assistants), but I have seen comments elsewhere that the experience gained while you are a PhD student may or may not count.

Appreciate any feedback.

PS - my research assistantship was salaried, not a scholarship (and I paid taxes)
Firstly, the word Engineer is protected in Canada. No-one may call themselves an engineer unless they have a P.Eng designation. Your education should be equalized to Canadian standards via WES. Have you tested to determine if you qualify for immigration into Canada?
Immigration and citizenship

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am aware of the fact that only P.Eng. can use "Engineer", and there is a roadmap to become P.Eng - that requires Canadian experience, and one has to be an engineer-in-training first, etc... My engineering PhD is from a US research university, and with my previous education I'm eligible for immigration - but that is not my question.

My question is - does research assistant experience count towards total experience requirements?

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Was the assistantship part of your PhD program? Is so, then probably not. Was it done outside of your program (ie. paid part-time work during the program but not part of it, done after the program, etc.)? Is so, then likely yes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.