Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what it's like elsewhere in Spain but in our little corner of the CDS it's as though summer has never ended. I'm still wearing the same kind of clothes I wore in June/July/August: I took Our Little Azor for a walk in the hills today in shorts and Tshirt (me not OLA) at 5p.m.
It's just under a year since we left the mud and snow of Central Europe so I've no experience of Spanish autumn. It must have been at least 30C in the sun today - blue skies, not a cloud in sight. Our guests from the UK swam in our pool when they were here two weeks ago.
Is this normal weather for this time of year? I remember torrential rain in December last year and almost tropical storms in January/February. So maybe those delights are yet to come. Might as well soak up the sun while it lasts. I usually visit an old aunt in Canada at this time of year but I don't feel like taking trips abroad, especially to somewhere cold, when it's so nice here.
I'm going to order logs for the open fire in our salon, though, as this can't go on....can it?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I don't know what it's like elsewhere in Spain but in our little corner of the CDS it's as though summer has never ended. I'm still wearing the same kind of clothes I wore in June/July/August: I took Our Little Azor for a walk in the hills today in shorts and Tshirt (me not OLA) at 5p.m.
It's just under a year since we left the mud and snow of Central Europe so I've no experience of Spanish autumn. It must have been at least 30C in the sun today - blue skies, not a cloud in sight. Our guests from the UK swam in our pool when they were here two weeks ago.
Is this normal weather for this time of year? I remember torrential rain in December last year and almost tropical storms in January/February. So maybe those delights are yet to come. Might as well soak up the sun while it lasts. I usually visit an old aunt in Canada at this time of year but I don't feel like taking trips abroad, especially to somewhere cold, when it's so nice here.
I'm going to order logs for the open fire in our salon, though, as this can't go on....can it?
I was wondering that. Last year it rained and was pretty cold most of the time. Today it was 29c and beautiful!, the evenings are cold, but thats no bad thing, snuggling up by the fire and under the duvet!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
19,450 Posts
The weather in the CDS is an unknown to me, but here it's much warmer than usual as I said in this thread
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...living-spain/32109-octobers-temperatures.html
I did the winter summer clothes change over last weekend. I usually do it in September!! We've had the quilts on the beds for a while now, but it's still not really cold. November is usually the rainy season, but not so far and we've still got wood for the fire left over from last year...
Has anyone heard any predictions for the winter; is it going to be mild ??

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And again today....It must be over 30C on our upstairs terrace/balcony/deck whatever you call it where I'm having morning coffee and cake.
It's too hot to take Our Little Azor out, he'll have to wait until later for his walkies.
If anyone is that interested, I've just uploaded a gorgeous (IMHO) photo of OLA onto my album here.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
And again today....It must be over 30C on our upstairs terrace/balcony/deck whatever you call it where I'm having morning coffee and cake.
It's too hot to take Our Little Azor out, he'll have to wait until later for his walkies.
If anyone is that interested, I've just uploaded a gorgeous (IMHO) photo of OLA onto my album here.

Isnt Ola cute LOL!! Lovely photos and a lovely villa!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isnt Ola cute LOL!! Lovely photos and a lovely villa!!

Jo xxx

Well, we love him to bits. But then you love your dogs too! Yes, it's a lovely villa but as many people have said, we could get more for less if we moved a few km inland. I've been pondering ...I like living near the sea - I grew up by the sea in Dorset -but Azor can only be walked on the beach for half the year and there's not a lot of other options for free run walkies for him.
We will definitely come over for a tour of the Alhaurins and villages. Things are in a bit of a state here at present as mum-in -law is very very poorly in a hospice in the UK.
If we can find a villa as good as or better than where we are now and there's loads of walks for OLA we'll be happy.
I do like this house, though. We were lucky to get it as the villa we had agreed to rent (even more expensive and actually smaller as it was front-line beach) became unavailable at the last minute because the owner's father had a heart attack. But we didn't really look around enough and were fixated on staying near my son's place. We tried apartment living but it wasn't for us -we've always had a house with both space and privacy, if you know what I mean) and it wasn't good for OLA, although we were ground-floor and had a garden.
Where do you walk your dogs?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Where do you walk your dogs?
My dogs are all small and we have a big garden so walking them isnt vital as such, but we generally take them out once a day. There are lots of olive orchards and fields near us, but I'm a little wary of letting them off their leads cos they dont like coming back when I call them!! So altho I do let them off, I only tend to do it when I've got the kids with me and we're not pushed for time. My daughter likes to walk them across the road where theres some horses and stables, but they have to stay on their leads then cos of the horses!!!... and of course, they sometimes they escape the garden, if we accidently leave the gate open and then they wander off and come back when they're ready, but that worries me cos there are stray dogs around and theres a ***** on heat up the road at the mo, which is causing them great interest - eventho they've been nuetered!!LOL

jo xxx

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dogs are all small and we have a big garden so walking them isnt vital as such, but we generally take them out once a day. There are lots of olive orchards and fields near us, but I'm a little wary of letting them off their leads cos they dont like coming back when I call them!! So altho I do let them off, I only tend to do it when I've got the kids with me and we're not pushed for time. My daughter likes to walk them across the road where theres some horses and stables, but they have to stay on their leads then cos of the horses!!!... and of course, they sometimes they escape the garden, if we accidently leave the gate open and then they wander off and come back when they're ready, but that worries me cos there are stray dogs around and theres a ***** on heat up the road at the mo, which is causing them great interest - eventho they've been nuetered!!LOL

jo xxx
We have a big garden too so we can play games with OLA but he's big too and needs a good run preferably where he can climb and jump..
I know what you mean about stray dogs. They are a constant worry as Azor is on the lead too except when it's safe to let him run free and he is constantly pestered by these dogs and by smaller dogs who run up to him with their owners smiling happily as their little Fido sniffs the a*** of a 54 kilo Ridgeback. Fortunately he's good-natured and doesn't take offence, in fact he's been bitten several times by smaller dogs, poor boy.
The problem is that if one day he snaps and bites back, he'll be to blame, a victim of sizeism.
Now there should be a law against that kind of discrimination.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.