Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But Seb they are so comfortable. Also I find driving in my high heels far more difficult and dangerous, I have much better grip on the sole on my flip flops that my high heels.

It is in many countries. Why would anyone consider doing it? Driving with the wrong footwear is dangerous and irresponsible!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi This went round last year that you must have backs on your shoes but saying that I have never heard of anybody being stopped or fined. I agree high heels are much more of a problem than flip flops.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
.... and that means that wearing no shoes at all is also illegal! How stupid can one get - surely that's the ultimate in 'feelability'?

I seem to recall that this was discussed to death about the same time last year.

Then, the consensus was that you had to wear footwear that had a strap at the back - so even strapless sandals are out.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Yes it's a summer offence ! Along with driving without a shirt or an arm hanging out the window !
You do get a 50% discount on the fine though. :rofl:
Anything without a heel is an offence. It's obviously ok to drive in a fixed neck collar ( seen yesterday ) or a broken left arm in a cast from wrist to shoulder set at 90º across his chest. & driving a manual car !

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
.... and that means that wearing no shoes at all is also illegal! How stupid can one get - surely that's the ultimate in 'feelability'?

I seem to recall that this was discussed to death about the same time last year.

Then, the consensus was that you had to wear footwear that had a strap at the back - so even strapless sandals are out.
If you read Alcalainas link & click on the bottom ' whats best in footwear' link it also says strapless sandals , some types of workboots , etc ; are unacceptable.
The requirement is 'with a heel ' so I'd argue till the cows come home that my bare foot has a heel.:D

·
Registered
33,612 Posts

I used to always drive bare foot by taking my flip flops off cos, yes there was an occasion where one got wedged under the pedal

Jo xxx

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
But Seb they are so comfortable. Also I find driving in my high heels far more difficult and dangerous, I have much better grip on the sole on my flip flops that my high heels.
You may think they are comfortable but I suspect the family of the person(s) you kill or maim through bad driving practise won't think much of you footware choice.

Keep a pair of lace up trainers in the car for crying out loud.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It's simple common sense, flip flops or high heels are not a good choice for driving in.
Many summers ago I was hit by someone driving a Ford transit when I stopped at a zebra crossing. He was wearing flip flops and said sorry as his foot slipped out of the flip flop off the break! If I wasn't in front of him then he would have taken out the people crossing the road probably!

·
Registered
398 Posts
But barefoot is better/safer/easier surely???

Jo xxx
I think it might depend on a few things.
I don't drive one but automatics have a bigger brake pedal so that might make it a lot easier to go barefoot! (maybe)
I'm not sure offhand what the servo on most cars increases the pressure you apply to the pedal, I think it might be 3 to 1. But going from car to car it can be a bit different between models.
In an emergency situation pushing down very hard on a small break pedal I think might prove more difficult for some people. Shoes will help spread the load across the whole foot so IMHO giving more control over how hard you press the pedal and not going into a skid. There are still a good number of cars without anti-lock brakes etc!

Also what about when you ladies use moisturiser and creams and perhaps apply to your feet! that just might cause your foot slip off the brake if you had to try and stop quickly!

I have one pair of shoes I prefer to use when driving as they grip the best. Any shoes are ok but they never slip and don't slip when they get wet either!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I think it might depend on a few things.
I don't drive one but automatics have a bigger brake pedal so that might make it a lot easier to go barefoot! (maybe)
I'm not sure offhand what the servo on most cars increases the pressure you apply to the pedal, I think it might be 3 to 1. But going from car to car it can be a bit different between models.
In an emergency situation pushing down very hard on a small break pedal I think might prove more difficult for some people. Shoes will help spread the load across the whole foot so IMHO giving more control over how hard you press the pedal and not going into a skid. There are still a good number of cars without anti-lock brakes etc!

Also what about when you ladies use moisturiser and creams and perhaps apply to your feet! that just might cause your foot slip off the brake if you had to try and stop quickly!

I have one pair of shoes I prefer to use when driving as they grip the best. Any shoes are ok but they never slip and don't slip when they get wet either!
Well I certainly dont want to get into an argument, but I found that being barefoot was fine. Obviously my pedals were compatible with my feet lol!!! Also, I found that my feet were less likely to slip, I've had that happen with wet shoes before, but never with my feet - I seem to have sticky soles and better treads that shoes - lol. My feet arent soft, silky things :tape: :puke: :D

However, back on topic flip flops and infact some slip-on shoes arent IMO particularly safe.

Jo xxx

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Friend of ours was stopped yesterday in his open back truck and fined €200 for having an unsafe load. Even when he pointed out that his truck was empty the fine stayed. There are other laws about driving in Spain which should be heeded especially now that the police seem to think that motorists are fair game for raising funds (why I say now is hard for me to understand since that view has, I suspect, been around for many years). If you wear glases you must carry a spare pair in the car. If you are taking someone to emergency you must have a white cloth hanging out of the window. These are but two of an almost endless list.

·
Registered
19,456 Posts
If you are taking someone to emergency you must have a white cloth hanging out of the window. These are but two of an almost endless list.
Well, not entirely true Thrax. If you want people to give way to you because you are rushing someone to hospital you're supposed to honk your horn,put on your lights an wave the white flag so that other drivers will recognise you as a private car going to the emergency room

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well I certainly dont want to get into an argument, but I found that being barefoot was fine. Obviously my pedals were compatible with my feet lol!!! Also, I found that my feet were less likely to slip, I've had that happen with wet shoes before, but never with my feet - I seem to have sticky soles and better treads that shoes - lol. My feet arent soft, silky things :tape: :puke: :D

However, back on topic flip flops and infact some slip-on shoes arent IMO particularly safe.

Jo xxx
LOL Jo.
Obviously my pedals were compatible with my feet
This should be included in the ITV perhaps lol :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.