Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 99 Posts
We have the best of both worlds. We spend 7+ months in Mexico and then the rest in Vancouver/Europe. We are getting ready to fly down on Saturday. We look forward to the things we love about Mexico. Celebrations for any reason. Closeness of family values. Chaos! Reacquainting ourselves with friends and neighbors.

At the end of May, we will again appreciate the order, paved streets, shopping choices. And the cycle will repeat.

We have the best of both worlds. We spend 7+ months in Mexico and then the rest in Vancouver/Europe. We are getting ready to fly down on Saturday. We look forward to the things we love about Mexico. Celebrations for any reason. Closeness of family values. Chaos! Reacquainting ourselves with friends and neighbors.

At the end of May, we will again appreciate the order, paved streets, shopping choices. And the cycle will repeat.
Are you implying that in Mexico we have...chaos, no pavement, no shopping choices?
wow

Are you implying that in Mexico we have...chaos, no pavement, no shopping choices?
wow
Have you ever been to Puerto Vallarta? There are rockets that are set off to announce church services, usually between 5 and 6 am, for special events. Our cats think that is chaos.

Pavement? No. Cobblestones? Yes.

Shopping choices? No way. Nothing like up north. Every year we bring back things that we cannot buy in PV. Maybe we could get them in Guadalajara. But that is 4.5 hours away.

I bet we could get lots more stuff in DF. It is what it is. Plus we don't live to shop!;)

Discussion starter · #64 ·
She is worried about violence in Mexico and wants to go to Colombia?? Colombia is way better than it used to be but do you think all the bad guys were killed over there? Do you think there is no more drug trade from there? I wonder where all the coke coming through here is coming from??

DO not believe everything you read on the internet or in the papers.

Citlali not Houndog
Colombia has exploded with growth since the former President Uribe cleaned it up. It's not perfect, no place is, but the cartel activity these days is in Mexico. Colombia just hasn't seen the violence in recent years that Mexico has, and everyone here says stay out of the drug trade and certain parts of the country and Mexico is pretty safe. Same pretty much applies to Colombia. Medellin, the country's second city, has become a very liveable place with huge malls stocked with everything, an elevated train system, and a springlike climate. They're very capitalistic and pro-America, which used to give Hugo Chavez fits. If anything it may be too expensive for us. But it's a place worth investigating, as it ticks off the boxes she's interested in.

Discussion starter · #65 ·
I believe you mentioned in a previous post that one reason your wife doesn't want to live in Mexico is because she'd be so far from her family. Well, living in Colombia would definitely exacerbate that problem, don't you think?
We wouldn't have the car in Colombia, and the discounters Spirit and Jet Blue fly to Medellin from Ft. Lauderdale. We'd be at her daughter's in Kansas City before we could even arrive at the border from the interior of Mexico. We won't leave Kinston until the dogs pass away, so we'll have a few years to check out a few places on quick trips.

Well you can fly in and out of Mexico and not have a car down here either . Not comparing apples to apples.
Flying is a wonderful idea, I can go home in a mere 12 hours but I do not.Why?Ccost.
Try that a few times a year and see what happens to you budget..As you are retire your income really does not keep up with price increases so for some people what was affordable when they first retire is not any longer 10 years later.

Have you ever been to Puerto Vallarta? There are rockets that are set off to announce church services, usually between 5 and 6 am, for special events. Our cats think that is chaos.

Pavement? No. Cobblestones? Yes.

Shopping choices? No way. Nothing like up north. Every year we bring back things that we cannot buy in PV. Maybe we could get them in Guadalajara. But that is 4.5 hours away.

I bet we could get lots more stuff in DF. It is what it is. Plus we don't live to shop!;)[/QUOTE
]

I have been to Puerto Vallarta a few times but, in my experience, fireworks are set off all over Mexico starting often at about 5:00AM and, in the historic center of San Cristóbal de Las Casas where we live several months each year, every barrio has its celebrations of various kinds, the rockets can go on incessantly at times. We live so close to the main plaza of the Del Cerrillo Barrio, that we periodically have to clean the spent rocket casings from the roof and repair the damage they have done. As for our dogs, some of whom panic during these events, thinking the town is chaotic, the rockets help us bond with them as they seek our protection by embracing us. It´s a little noisy but that´s OK. LIving in a town where there are constant celebrations going on can be a kick. To each hs own.

We also live at Lake Chapala where the shopping choices both at the lake and in nearby Guadalajara are excellent so, every time we drive from Lake Chapala to San Cristóbal, our car carries some processed food items from the lake area that are not available in Chiapas but, then, there are many food items available in San Cristóbal not as readily availale at the lake including a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables grown in nearby milpas surrounding the city and delivered every day for sale at the huge indigenous market nearby. One can also buy live chickens and pigs among other farm animals there but we have yet to do that.

Since we have only made two very brief trips back "up north" in the past 13 years, we can´t speak of the shopping opportunities up there but, as we visit France periodically to visit relatives, we do bring some specialty food items back to Mexico from there but we have found no need to leave Mexico for all of our shopping needs including not only food and clothing items but all major appliances including such big ticket items as computers and flat screen televisions. As for France, when we go there, the prices on food and consumer goods plus personal taxes are so outrageously high that we thank God we did not elect to rertire there rather than Mexico back in 2001.

Discussion starter · #69 · (Edited)
Well you can fly in and out of Mexico and not have a car down here either . Not comparing apples to apples.
Flying is a wonderful idea, I can go home in a mere 12 hours but I do not.Why?Ccost.
Try that a few times a year and see what happens to you budget..As you are retire your income really does not keep up with price increases so for some people what was affordable when they first retire is not any longer 10 years later.
The problem is with the new financial requirements we can't qualify for permanent residency until Social Security starts. So to have a car in Mexico on a TIP means having to drive it out every 6 months. And she wants to have a car. So no flying for us if we're in Mexico. She is willing to give Colombia a try without a car though.

The problem is with the new financial requirements we can't qualify for permanent residency until Social Security starts. So to have a car in Mexico on a TIP means having to drive it out every 6 months. And she wants to have a car. So no flying for us if we're in Mexico. She is willing to give Colombia a try without a car though.
I hope you won't decide to move to Colombia, without having spent a loooong vacation there.

You can take buses to the border and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than driving, actually some flights are very cheap right now if you take Volaris or Vivaaerobus and I heard some others it is cheaper to fly than to drive, the tolls are expensive in Mexico.
For exemple it cost us 3000 pesos to go to Chiapas and $1000 pesos to fly if you get the right flight and 1200 pesos ny bus...but this things come and go so it is difficult to say what it will be next year.
I wonder why she could live without a car in Colombia and not in Mexico?
Well if you go to Colombia better speak Spansih because I heard that you are awfully isolated if you do not speak the language.

Discussion starter · #72 ·
I hope you won't decide to move to Colombia, without having spent a loooong vacation there.
It doesn't get the expat droves other countries get due to higher costs and past reputation. But it's alot more developed than people realize. 450 store malls with all the American stores, great Internet, modern multiplex theaters, beautiful cities. 5 U.S. airlines fly into Medellin so there must be Americans traveling there, and there are expat forums about it. There's a region of the country that's predominantly Caucasian with Medellin at it's center. Might not matter to some but if you want to be in an area where you don't stick out it's alot closer than Argentina.

Discussion starter · #73 ·
You can take buses to the border and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than driving, actually some flights are very cheap right now if you take Volaris or Vivaaerobus and I heard some others it is cheaper to fly than to drive, the tolls are expensive in Mexico.
For exemple it cost us 3000 pesos to go to Chiapas and $1000 pesos to fly if you get the right flight and 1200 pesos ny bus...but this things come and go so it is difficult to say what it will be next year.
I wonder why she could live without a car in Colombia and not in Mexico?
Well if you go to Colombia better speak Spansih because I heard that you are awfully isolated if you do not speak the language.
She has a nice Honda and wanted to keep it. But she wasn't thrilled with all the red tape and sees the pluses of doing without a car. Yes we could fly to Mexico instead of Colombia or elsewhere but she wants great shopping. We'll keep working on the Spanish.

It doesn't get the expat droves other countries get due to higher costs and past reputation. But it's alot more developed than people realize. 450 store malls with all the American stores, great Internet, modern multiplex theaters, beautiful cities. 5 U.S. airlines fly into Medellin so there must be Americans traveling there, and there are expat forums about it. There's a region of the country that's predominantly Caucasian with Medellin at it's center. Might not matter to some but if you want to be in an area where you don't stick out it's alot closer than Argentina.
I have to defend my Country here! ;)
Mexico has all that and more! Also, is much larger country with a diversity of...everything!
And closer to the US
What was that about Argentina?

You can take buses to the border and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than driving, actually some flights are very cheap right now if you take Volaris or Vivaaerobus and I heard some others it is cheaper to fly than to drive, the tolls are expensive in Mexico. For exemple it cost us 3000 pesos to go to Chiapas and $1000 pesos to fly if you get the right flight and 1200 pesos ny bus...but this things come and go so it is difficult to say what it will be next year. I wonder why she could live without a car in Colombia and not in Mexico? Well if you go to Colombia better speak Spansih because I heard that you are awfully isolated if you do not speak the language.
Isn't that the same case for Mexico?
With language I mean, as far as numbers, only 5 % of Mexicans speak English, the rest have notions and try hard to comunicate, but tome, it seems to be a very isolated scenario for only English speaking expats

Have you even visited Colombia or are you just reading promotional material? I have spent time in Colombia and I can tell you that it's a nice enough country but.... come on, if she can't hack Mexico she will be really unhappy in Colombia. I think your wife did not give Mexico a chance at all and I wouldn't waste your time looking at any other country quite frankly. Mexico is a pretty easy transition country unlike many Latin American countries. Colombia would be way way way down on my list for someone who hasn't lived outside the USA before.

If I was in your shoes I try to find a nice comfy place in the USA to live and just try to enjoy regular vacations in Latin America. Living in a strange new land is not for everyone and just from what I have read on this thread I think your wife is probably one of them. But hey, I don't really know you at all, it's your life and you should do whatever makes you happy.

Oops! Vantexan; for a minute there I thought you were describing Guadalajara, a beautiful city (with flaws like all human gatherings including Medellin and Kinston) with exclusive malls filled with great luxurious stores whether of U.S. or Mexican or other origin, countless modern multiplex theaters of the latest design, some great restaurants, cultural activities beyond easy description and an extraordinarily pleasant and sunny climate at 5,000 feet . That city with an estimated population of at least 4,000,000 people in the metroplitan area, may have lots of expats but they are not a significant factor there at all and you will never run into one unless you want to and seek them out. There are direct flights to many U.S.cities all over the country and other domestic and international destnations. When we fly to Paris, as we occasionally do to visit family, we go nonstop from Mexico Cirty, a one hour flight from Guadalajara.

By the way, if you are seeking what you call "Caucasions", stick to Kinston but I really don´t know why you are worried about "stick(ing) out" in Mexico. As an Anglo from Alabama with British ancestry married to a Basquez from Paris but with extended family roots from all over France, we stick out in all of Mexico but human diversity is what makes a place like San Cristóbal de Las Casas and many other Mexican cities so fascinating to us. Now, the so-called "Lakeside" community that is concentrated in a small zone adjacent to part of Lake Chapala´s North Shore is the place for you if you are seeking to be among "Caucasions" scattered about all over the place. Kinston with palm trees and with a WalMart as well. but no Burrger King, dammit. Fortunately, Guadalajara is full of Burger Kings which are quite popular with Tapatios so, where I need a Whopper with Cheese, I can always get my fix just a few kilometers away from home when we are at the lake.

I like to call "Lakeside" Peoria Upon Sump but it is a very nice place to live with a climate so pleasant it´s hard to believe. If you are a dog lover and are lookng for endless deserted beaches upon which to run your pooches off leash, this is the place for you and you can ignore all those "Caucasions" if you wish - I know I do.

Discussion starter · #78 ·

Oops! Vantexan; for a minute there I thought you were describing Guadalajara, a beautiful city (with flaws like all human gatherings including Medellin and Kinston) with exclusive malls filled with great luxurious stores whether of U.S. or Mexican or other origin, countless modern multiplex theaters of the latest design, some great restaurants, cultural activities beyond easy description and an extraordinarily pleasant and sunny climate at 5,000 feet . That city with an estimated population of at least 4,000,000 people in the metroplitan area, may have lots of expats but they are not a significant factor there at all and you will never run into one unless you want to and seek them out. There are direct flights to many U.S.cities all over the country and other domestic and international destnations. When we fly to Paris, as we occasionally do to visit family, we go nonstop from Mexico Cirty, a one hour flight from Guadalajara.

By the way, if you are seeking what you call "Caucasions", stick to Kinston but I really don´t know why you are worried about "stick(ing) out" in Mexico. As an Anglo from Alabama with British ancestry married to a Basquez from Paris but with extended family roots from all over France, we stick out in all of Mexico but human diversity is what makes a place like San Cristóbal de Las Casas and many other Mexican cities so fascinating to us. Now, the so-called "Lakeside" community that is concentrated in a small zone adjacent to part of Lake Chapala´s North Shore is the place for you if you are seeking to be among "Caucasions" scattered about all over the place. Kinston with palm trees and with a WalMart as well. but no Burrger King, dammit. Fortunately, Guadalajara is full of Burger Kings which are quite popular with Tapatios so, where I need a Whopper with Cheese, I can always get my fix just a few kilometers away from home when we are at the lake.

I like to call "Lakeside" Peoria Upon Sump but it is a very nice place to live with a climate so pleasant it´s hard to believe. If you are a dog lover and are lookng for endless deserted beaches upon which to run your pooches off leash, this is the place for you and you can ignore all those "Caucasions" if you wish - I know I do.
Not sure why you are quoting it with an o as I spelled it with an a. I think a major reason people live in places like the Chapala area is that they are amongst people that look like them. It's easier to just go about your business and not feel like you stand out. If that's important to some then Colombia has a region that's primarily white where no one automatically assumes you're a rich ******. Much like being in Argentina which is mostly white. I don't want to get into the whole race issue, not a big deal, just might appeal to some.

Medellin has Spirit and Jet Blue flying to them. They are cheap enough to make it a very attractive alternative to living in Mexico. Chances are we'll end up in the Chapala area but we'll look around over the next few years.

Not sure why you are quoting it with an o as I spelled it with an a. I think a major reason people live in places like the Chapala area is that they are amongst people that look like them. It's easier to just go about your business and not feel like you stand out. If that's important to some then Colombia has a region that's primarily white where no one automatically assumes you're a rich ******. Much like being in Argentina which is mostly white. I don't want to get into the whole race issue, not a big deal, just might appeal to some.

Medellin has Spirit and Jet Blue flying to them. They are cheap enough to make it a very attractive alternative to living in Mexico. Chances are we'll end up in the Chapala area but we'll look around over the next few years.
Dear Vantexan, I think you are now dreaming too much, or as we say here, "te estás haciendo afuera de la basinica", my advice, as many have already told you one way or another, is to bite the bullet and just move on, you are not going to live in Mexico or any other Country.
Now you want to blend in with the population based on your skin color, I don't think you have Italian or Spaniard ancestry, nor you speak any Spanish, nor lunfardo, therefore you will not pass as one of the guys anywhere outside the US.
You may as well keep dreaming on, or why don't you think about East L.A., Florida, or somewhere within the US where you might enjoy some latin american company, then again, you still don't speak the language and you would have to convince your wife first.

[QUOTE=vantexan;2172449]Not sure why you are quoting it with an o as I spelled it with an a. I think a major reason people live in places like the Chapala area is that they are amongst people that look like them. It's easier to just go about your business and not feel like you stand out.....

I guess I was thinking of "caucasoid" since we were writing about pink people.

You seem to have a hang-up about standing out by living among others who do not look like you but, if I were you I would not interpret that ethnocentrism, which all humans suffer from to some extent, as a reason so many, mostly white people from farther north in North America are attracted to the Lake Chapala area. Rather, the original reason that exodus started many years ago was because the area was an inexpensive artists colony with a bohemian touch many struggling artists found attractive and, I understand there was a tolerant attitude toward drugs and sex to be experienced in those days for those emigrating from more prudent societies to what was then the Mexican outback. A number of years later the foreign colony became more of a foreign retirement magnet primarily because it was dirt cheap in comparison to the northern areas from whence the retirees came and the climate was perfect for us old retired goobers with weather that was rarely even remotely too hot or too cold with almost constant sunshine. I think you have it backwards. People of like complexion and ethnic background and the financial capacity to move to Mexico don´t move down here necessarily to be around their own kind; it´s just that they are comng here despite the fact that the area is overrun with their own kind because it beats the hell out of the lands they left - otherwise they would all have moved to Des Moines.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.