Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have just joined as family thinking of moving to Oz.

I am a part-time community nurse and bh is a joiner. We have to boys aged 6 and 3. We just feel, like most people, that Oz would be a better place to bring up the boys.

The 2 of us did the years working visa about 10 year ago and wished that we had stayed, so we do know a bit about the place. But a lot can happen in 10 years and when you have kids its a different ball game.

You have so many worries though, like do we risk everything just to find that we won't get jobs, we won't get the lifestyle that we want!:confused:

We fancy SA. Northern Beaches in NSW would be lovely but we could never afford the house prices. But SA sounds like the place we would like to bring our familly up in. And its strange because its the only place we didn't visit when we were on our visa.

So if anybody out there would mind putting my mind at ease and give some advice it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi GrassiSal,

So what are your concerns? If you are a bit more specific then maybe some of us can help.

We moved to South Australia 2.5 years ago but decided not to move to Adelaide since my husband didn't want to live in big city (and Adelaide is one of the smaller state capitals).

If you decide not to live in Adelaide then the other 2 major cities are Whyalla in the North and Mount Gambier in the South East. When I say major they have about 25,000 people in each so they are a town by UK standards :) The main population of SA live in and around Adelaide.

The north of the state is dessert and very hot while further south is more Mediterranean climate (although we have been having a heat wave with temperatures hitting the 40's at the moment! :eek:).

We visited Sydney (mainly to see friends), Perth and south of Perth, most of Victoria and South Australia up to Port Augusta, and we decided that we loved the feel of South Australia. We're on PR so we could have lived any where in Australia but chose here. We've been here 2.5 years and are a part of the community and love it here - my husband calls it a little slice of heaven :)

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Karen,

Its the whole idea of moving the family into the unknown, but then thats part of the adventure isn't it?

My main worry is jobs. I know that i would probably be ok when it comes to work but is there a need for joiners? As my little one is still only 3, so my hubby would be the main bread winner, but does SA need joiners?

It wouldn't be Adelaide itself that we would move to. Just like your hubby, we don't fancy living in the city but we don't want to be in the back of beyond either, somewhere within driveable distance to Adelaide and a beach. So if you have any ideas on nice areas as well that would be great. I have been looking at the real estate but not knowing the suburbs doesn't help.

Do you have kids? How did they find the move? Is there plenty of out of school clubs etc?

All in all, did you find it worth the risk? Are you and your family enjoying life down under?

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
There's just the two of us so we didn't have to worry about kids.

I know that Mount Gambier is about 5 hour drive to Adelaide so that's probably too far from Adelaide for you. You could look at some online maps of areas around Adelaide but I can't help on those areas because we never considered them and we only visit Adelaide when there is something we need there (and since we are actually closer to Melbourne we will sometimes go there instead).

Try checking on some of the job websites (see 'PLEASE READ.....' sticky post for some of them) and see what's there for joiners. It's not something I know about.

We were both self employed in the UK (I was in IT and my husband a maintenance gardener). My husband took a car sales job for a while to settle in while I set up some businesses from home. Eventually he's set up his own gardening business since it's something he loves to do, and I've set up as a web developer, life coach and written a personal finance course. I tend to work from home most of the time.

I think people who aren't willing to adapt will find it hardest. We came out here with the attitude that we would do jobs we didn't really want to do if that helped us become established. Maybe it was different for us in that we had PR visa and so could do any profession we wanted although we were assessed on our UK skill set.

I guess I did so much research that I didn't think of it as a risk. We visited Australia several times and I did LOADS of research online and had even chosen clubs that we could join to be part of the community.

We love it here. My husband says it's the first time he's felt at home (he's from Ireland originally and then spent many years in the UK). We are part of the community and have loads of people who want to come to our citizenship ceremony (hopefully in a few months).

It doesn't mean that I don't miss family and friends because I do (especially at Christmas time) but we find skype is a great way to keep in touch.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Karen,

If it was just me and hubby i would be jumping on the next plane over there. But with the kids you are a bit more cautious.

I have been looking at some job websites but there never seems to be joiner jobs! But it can't mean that there is none out there does it!!

I have started doing my homework already on things like cost of living etc. I think it was an old posting of yours that i was just looking at and found very usefull, so thanks again.

We do to some extent know what we are doing, as i said we did a working visa 10 years ago, and we are both willing to make this work but again its just the unknown!!!

Thanks again

Sally

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Would your partner work for another company initially? You may have already found this but it's a list of joiners / carpenters in Australia - Australia Carpenters & Joiners Guide - Australia CommunityGuide. It may be worth contacting some of them in the areas your looking at to see what the industry is like....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Sally
Have you tried "google earth"? its a great insight, ive been playing around on it today, and im amazed that you can actually almost take a walk down streets!
i looked at from henley beach nr adelaide to mount gambier where karen is,and the big lakes.
its great for if you see something on a property web site,then you can go check out the street and maybe the neighbourhood.
you can see the distance to the sea and everything! amazing ( im so out of touch with tech)
just a thought
claire

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Just be aware that google earth can be several years out of date - it certainly was the last time I checked our place since it still had a tree that we had taken down 2 years ago!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Will have a look at the web page that you gave me Karen. Hubby not worried if he is working for a company, he goes between self employed and contracted here anyway. So thanks for that.

Hi Claireanddaz,

You think your out of touch with tech, i'm terrible, my limit is e.bay! So posting this was daunting stuff!!

Never thought of google earth, even if it is out of date, it gives you rough idea of the area. Mind you it still doesn't show our house, and we've been in it for nearly 5 years!

Have been looking at a few other posts about Adelaide and Henley Beach keeps coming up, so will have a good look around that area.

Is it Adelaide you fancy yourself? Have you started the ball rolling yet? We haven't but want to get a good idea before we make the leap of applying for visa's.

Keep in touch

Sally

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi,

Will have a look at the web page that you gave me Karen. Hubby not worried if he is working for a company, he goes between self employed and contracted here anyway. So thanks for that.

Hi Claireanddaz,

You think your out of touch with tech, i'm terrible, my limit is e.bay! So posting this was daunting stuff!!

Never thought of google earth, even if it is out of date, it gives you rough idea of the area. Mind you it still doesn't show our house, and we've been in it for nearly 5 years!

Have been looking at a few other posts about Adelaide and Henley Beach keeps coming up, so will have a good look around that area.

Is it Adelaide you fancy yourself? Have you started the ball rolling yet? We haven't but want to get a good idea before we make the leap of applying for visa's.

Keep in touch

Sally
Hi Sally

uk google earth is quite up to date, my neighbours were our doing their garden and it was last aug we think, our house looks so deralict lol, still has the old windows! scary stuff, but yea, it great that you get an idea of what the houses are like, sooo much larger than ours.

And Kaz, that big black deep lake looks really scary!i liked the blue one but not the dark one, put me about:eek:

We are prob looking towards adelaide area Sally as property there seems a good price for a city though we dont want to live in the city,it will be one of the suburbs w go for, ive heard the climate is good to so we are researching all areas,
theres a lady on this forum that lives there and shes brill with the tips and things but it really depends on if and where we get jobs... we are hoping to get them before we go out, we will be using an emigration agent to do all the work for us, were just in the process of getting in touch.
I also like the look of victoria but as yet i havent researched it so wouldnt be able to tell you much other than ive seen some nice property.

yes keep in touch it would be nice
claire:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Claire,

Had a look on Google Earth and it is a great way of seeing around an area. Kids thought it was great to being able to see into peoples gardens without them knowing. They get their noseyness from me!

There is a suburb, Seaford, that i keep going back to. So if you find out anything about the area, do tell.

When we did our years working visa we stayed in Melbourne and I loved the place. The only problem was with the weather. It would be scorching hot one day and the next it was pouring of rain, just like the uk!

We were going to go through an agent as well. I've contacted Visa-go Ltd as they have an office in Edinburgh i think, so it would be handy if they were needing to meet us for anything.

Sally

1 - 11 of 11 Posts