Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Really interested to kwow if cyprus is a dog loving island?

2. Are there different parts of the island that are more doggie?

3. Do they have organized dog shows througout the year all over the island?

J.v.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Sorry big No, no dogs on beach, i was not going to get a dog when i got here as lots of stories(true) Tuff times with dogs here, Went to shelter now got 2 who have made this home for me.lots of stays, crulty,(as in uk) shelters trying best with next to no funds.
you must get them reg, up to date with jags fea treatment castarted ect
keep on lead, stay off busy beaches pick up mess , dont let them bark upsetting people poisoning seems to be a way to get rid here. just take care ,
yes have seen few dog shows .
Tricia

·
Registered
587 Posts
The answer here has to be a resounding no. Pets in general are not particularly popular - it is a cultural hangover from the agrarian past when animals had to be useful to survive. There is a tradition that St. Helen introduced thousands of cats to the island to overcome a snake infestation, and feral cats and semi-domesticated ones are tolerated, and sometimes even cared for - they pretty much care for themselves anyway. There are regular stories of poisoning outbreaks during the mating season when the urban cat poulation can keep residents awake, but generally cats do OK.

Dogs of course can't generally fend for themselves - many people keep dogs for hunting, but they are not on the whole regarded as pets and many are abandoned/lost during the hunting season (I passed four corpses on my work today). There are many people who do keep dogs as pets and look after them very well (no shortage of highly qualified vets etc) but on the whole they are not particularly liked or disliked. Some episodes of deliberate dog poisoning have also been regularly reported in the media and on fora - the tactic seems to be to coat bits of foil with contact poison on regualr dog walking routes so that inquisitive dogs who lick and sniff the foil will be poisoned. The advice generated by the expat community is to keep pet dogs muzzled at all times when not on your own property.

Hope this helps...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.