Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Quick question for anyone who might have been through this before or have some subject knowledge...

I'm an American Citizen (on my ETA now) who has moved to Australia with my Kiwi wife (marriage certified in NZ) and daughter. After originally prepping documentation for a 820 partner visa, I realised in the fine print that my wife wouldn't qualify to sponsor me as we have moved here at the same time (she doesn't meet the Eligible New Zealand Citizen requirements).

A revisit to the homeaffairs.gov.au site has led me to assumption that I am instead a fit for the New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa, #461.

Assumptions led me to the wrong visa in the first place, so I thought I'd ask a forum for a little backup.

Anyone know if I'm on the right track?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Yes, that's correct. The Special Category Visa granted to New Zealanders is technically a temporary visa even though it allows the NZ citizen to live/work in Australia indefinitely. As the 820 partner visa is a permanent/permanent-track visa, your wife cannot sponsor you for this visa unless she becomes a permanent resident or citizen of Australia. As such, you are correct - the 461 visa is the way to go in your situation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts