Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Father is retired and lives 70 miles from his son. His fit and able son cannot always park directly outside his house.

The father wants to help his son. He applies for a disabled badge even though his mobility does not warrant it and he lives 70 miles from the parking he is applying for.

So:

Doctor accepts two large flagons of finest spanish olive oil.
Father exagerates disability and claims to live at his son's address - gets disability parking.
Thus son uses disability parking outside his home.
Mother boasts how 'listo' they are.
The son and one of his two sisters are unemployed.

Is there any hope? :eek:

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Father is retired and lives 70 miles from his son. His fit and able son cannot always park directly outside his house.

The father wants to help his son. He applies for a disabled badge even though his mobility does not warrant it and he lives 70 miles from the parking he is applying for.

So:

Doctor accepts two large flagons of finest spanish olive oil.
Father exagerates disability and claims to live at his son's address - gets disability parking.
Thus son uses disability parking outside his home.
Mother boasts how 'listo' they are.
The son and one of his two sisters are unemployed.

Is there any hope? :eek:

:deadhorse: No.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You don't say if you are talking about Spain, America, New Zealand, Ireland, UK. But then would it make a difference? Probably not.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't say if you are talking about Spain, America, New Zealand, Ireland, UK. But then would it make a difference? Probably not.
Sorry I thought this being a forum about spain and having Spain in the title of the thread gave it away. Silly me ;)

·
Registered
896 Posts
People comment on Spain as if it’s the same everywhere you go ….. which, IMO, is wrong. Spain should be viewed as a collective noun for a group of small, very different countries. Here things haven’t changed that much, even with the arrival of a multitude of Brits, as far as I can see.

If it moves and you can eat it then it gets shot, the Policia Local still go to the local bar for a coffee, nip & a *** ….. indoors, as do the Guardia.

The kids still get covered in clarts, fall off what they really shouldn’t be climbing on and return home in a state that would have the UK health & safety people going into cardiac arrest.

The latest tax is something to only consider paying when someone official knocks on your door …… and even then we all know that we have at least two years grace …… while they get the paperwork right (ish)

To get back to the OP ………… there is hope but, IMO, only if we leave things well alone. The Brits here (and of course that wonderful institution that is the EU) are trying to change things and, to put it bluntly, I wish they’d just ****** off and try & change somewhere else. The sad thing is I don’t think that’s going to happen so for now we will just enjoy our little little, noisy, corrupt, dangerous piece of paradise until some do gooder knobs eventually succeed in changing it …..for the worst.

Doggy

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
People comment on Spain as if it’s the same everywhere you go ….. which, IMO, is wrong. Spain should be viewed as a collective noun for a group of small, very different countries.
Doggy
You started off well, and I have said exactly the same on many an occasion
but then you continue to do just what you said we shouldn't do - talk about Spain as a whole!!

The Brits aren't doing anything around here one way or the other - not the Brits or any other of the many nationalities that make up this area...

·
Registered
896 Posts
You started off well, and I have said exactly the same on many an occasion
but then you continue to do just what you said we shouldn't do - talk about Spain as a whole!!

The Brits aren't doing anything around here one way or the other - not the Brits or any other of the many nationalities that make up this area...
I can only tell it how I see it here, maybe I didn’t make that clear but Shakespeare I’m not:D

Doggy

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
I can only tell it how I see it here, maybe I didn’t make that clear but Shakespeare I’m not:D

Doggy
OK, so when you say "here" you mean the area of Spain that you're in, and not Spain, is that right?

Of course you can only talk about what you know, I just wish everyone else would do the same. Some examples of what people think Spain is like...
In Spain they have bars on the windows - no! Some people do
In Spain there isn't any central heating - no! I have always had central heating in Madrid. Not so in Tarragona.
The shops shut at lunch time - depends where you are, the season and what kind of shop
Companies have long lunch breaks too, from 2:30 - 4:30 - it depends. Some do, but I don't know of any who still have that timetable. In fact one of the companies I go to made their lunch break 30 mins about 2 years ago

·
Registered
393 Posts
Sorry I thought this being a forum about spain and having Spain in the title of the thread gave it away. Silly me ;)
Thread titles don't show up when I view the forum on a mobile device.

And the "La Tasca" section is for discussing Margaret Thatcher.

G

·
Personally, I don`t "get" the original post. Same story in UK, France, Italy and Greece.
Spain has always had people fiddling the system or finding ways to get what they want. For that matter, I can`t think of another country that isn`t the same, in some fashion.

So, what exactly was your point?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Personally, I don`t "get" the original post. Same story in UK, France, Italy and Greece.
Spain has always had people fiddling the system or finding ways to get what they want. For that matter, I can`t think of another country that isn`t the same, in some fashion.

So, what exactly was your point?
First my point was certainly not that whatever happens in Spain is ok as it occurs in "any list of random countries anyone knocks up". While all nations have their representatives of the various 'types' we can reference their presence and acceptability vary greatly.

Seems odd this defensive posture is offered here so often when many of the same posters declare that Spain is so different from back home :rolleyes:

And to the point: I see spain failing into potential revolution and (as a poster here warns) the rising of the extreme right. But to avoid it IMHO there needs to be a change of attitude in Spain.

The happening I posted embarrassingly is very close to home for me. At the same time my BIL (another part of the family) is now working 12 hour days (hard manual activity) for 1000Es a month with no job security. And ... I could go on.

I had hoped (not great hope ;)) that someone may have observed a change. Had seen a new beginning. Green shoots as the economists would say. Even a discussion on how it might change or how doom and disaster was a certainty.

But just knowing people here feel it is ok as it happens elsewhere is a valuable observation. :)

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
First my point was certainly not that whatever happens in Spain is ok as it occurs in "any list of random countries anyone knocks up". While all nations have their representatives of the various 'types' we can reference their presence and acceptability vary greatly.

Seems odd this defensive posture is offered here so often when many of the same posters declare that Spain is so different from back home :rolleyes:

And to the point: I see spain failing into potential revolution and (as a poster here warns) the rising of the extreme right. But to avoid it IMHO there needs to be a change of attitude in Spain.

The happening I posted embarrassingly is very close to home for me. At the same time my BIL (another part of the family) is now working 12 hour days (hard manual activity) for 1000Es a month with no job security. And ... I could go on.

I had hoped (not great hope ;)) that someone may have observed a change. Had seen a new beginning. Green shoots as the economists would say. Even a discussion on how it might change or how doom and disaster was a certainty.

But just knowing people here feel it is ok as it happens elsewhere is a valuable observation. :)
Hi Nigel!
Still not getting it...
The situation that you describe in your first post is a scenario that could well be happening in the UK and although I've not lived in any other European country, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a recognised scenario in more places, and other people seem to agree.
So it's not something particular to Spain.
And I'm still not sure what is the change that you're referring to. Do you mean people getting to the point where they'll be rioting in the streets?
Actually, surprising as it may sound the 3 companies I'm working in at the moment are expanding - one massively, one a constant trickle of new employees and the last (after having halved its size over a couple of years) is slowly making a comeback.
What I'm seeing is that those who have got this far are OK. On an individual basis those who have got money have got money and are getting cheaper holidays, cars and even groceries even though electricity, petrol and other essentials have gone up. The gap between those who have and those who do not is widening I think. And those that have don't seem to give a *** what happens to the rest.
I'm not seeing doom and gloom for all atm and even though I agree it may come, especially with the latest set of cuts announced today, in my little bubble revolution is not around the corner - for all it's needed.

PS. I don't think the people who have posted here have said that the situation is OK, just that they don't see the scenario that you described being particularly "Spanish"

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
The only difference we have seen around here (bear in mind this is an Andalucian village) is that the Moroccans have been told not to bother to come for the olive picking (some still came anyway) because there isn't enough work for them. When it comes to other seasons a fair number of our male villagers go off the France, Germany, Switzerland or other parts of Spain to help with their harvests just as they always have - it's the same wherever there is agricultural work.

What we have also seen in a number of Brits who were playing at doing building work have gone back so there is more work available for Spanish builders. I think that surreptitiously, a number of Spanish households held back on getting work done until there were just Spanish builders looking for work. We are currently having our patio done! (that was just because we now have saeved up enough to be able to get it done wihout denting the bank-balance too much).

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
OK, so when you say "here" you mean the area of Spain that you're in, and not Spain, is that right?

Of course you can only talk about what you know, I just wish everyone else would do the same. Some examples of what people think Spain is like...
In Spain they have bars on the windows - no! Some people do
In Spain there isn't any central heating - no! I have always had central heating in Madrid. Not so in Tarragona.
The shops shut at lunch time - depends where you are, the season and what kind of shop
Companies have long lunch breaks too, from 2:30 - 4:30 - it depends. Some do, but I don't know of any who still have that timetable. In fact one of the companies I go to made their lunch break 30 mins about 2 years ago
In the 1/17 of Spain that I live in
we have bars on the windows
central heating is quite common
the shops/everything shuts from between 1-2 until 3,30 -5,30
we have 4 rush hours every day .

" In fact one of the companies I go to made their lunch break 30 mins about 2 years ago " :faint:

·
Registered
17,566 Posts

" In fact one of the companies I go to made their lunch break 30 mins about 2 years ago " :faint:

What's a rush hour?

·
Administrator
36,467 Posts

yes, just about all villas & ground floor homes have bars on the windows around here, too........ including my house on the edge of a gated urb. Most of the 'inside' houses don't, although some have added them

newer (less than 10 years old) properties generally have central heating..... but by no means all of them

just about all the shops (not supermarkets) & many other businesses observe siesta

no real rush hours ................... it can get a bit busy right near the schools at start & kick out times though

1 - 20 of 36 Posts