Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there! new in the forum.

i'm currently arranging my documents for visa 189, most probably to submit early next year for assessment.

my mind is 99% sure to do what is necessary to have a visa. the 1% remained to be "is it worth to move".

i'm in qatar as building services engineer. been here for 4-years. my net income is usd4000/month and i think it will take 2 more years to reach the $5000 mark. there's no tax in here.

my mentality is "i could live in any places. if, i'm working hard, i don't want to feel poor. only lazy people must suffer, but never me. luck is a plus but don't count on it"

my problem now here is that, for almost two years, i'm not receiving salary regularly, which is prevalent in middle east. sometimes it reaching a maximum of 3-months that i could not get anything. i can't change company either because of the sponsorship law. its either you go back to your country(least option for me) or stay and endure it.

and i feel its now time to move on, find a better place.

my social life is internet (mostly chatting with my wife & kids) & work. i'm meeting my "outside of work" friends around 2 times a week for coffee & chat. no need to drink or partying.

i'm renting a big room for $700 (part of villa). monthly expenses of $700 for groceries and personal stuff. then the rest, im sending to my family.

can anybody have their thought from someone there? what i'm worrying about are:

1. can i have a work that will pay the same (net income) as i'm getting here? i have 8yrs exprience

2. can i save money same as i'm saving from here?

3. the longevity of having a prosperous life?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, answers for three questions:

1) You can get same amount of pay or even higher/lower (depends) pay in Australia
2)May be not, You must aware that Taxes and cost of living are high in Australia.
3)For living Australia is good, but getting job is difficult.

getting job in Australia depends on your hard work and luck(sure).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi there

Just to share with you. I am planning to move and asking myself that same question so many time. I guess if you want a place for a long future then you should move.

I have everything here in Singapore: house, car, job,.... but the future is not great, especially for my children.

Talk to people around, be open. Goodluck.

·
Registered
78 Posts

i'm currently arranging my documents for visa 189, most probably to submit early next year for assessment.

my mind is 99% sure to do what is necessary to have a visa. the 1% remained to be "is it worth to move".

i'm in qatar as building services engineer. been here for 4-years. my net income is usd4000/month and i think it will take 2 more years to reach the $5000 mark. there's no tax in here.

my mentality is "i could live in any places. if, i'm working hard, i don't want to feel poor. only lazy people must suffer, but never me. luck is a plus but don't count on it"

my problem now here is that, for almost two years, i'm not receiving salary regularly, which is prevalent in middle east. sometimes it reaching a maximum of 3-months that i could not get anything. i can't change company either because of the sponsorship law. its either you go back to your country(least option for me) or stay and endure it.

my social life is internet (mostly chatting with my wife & kids) & work. i'm meeting my "outside of work" friends around 2 times a week for coffee & chat. no need to drink or partying.

i'm renting a big room for $700 (part of villa). monthly expenses of $700 for groceries and personal stuff. then the rest, im sending to my family.

1. can i have a work that will pay the same (net income) as i'm getting here? i have 8yrs exprience

I don't know much about the job market of your occupation in Australia.. But in qatar your are temporary resident and you will stay like that no matter how many years you stayed there... You will never have any benefits form the government for you or your family... You are not covered medically.... If your sponsor decided to get you out, you will have to the country the next day.....

Simply, if you are looking for a place that you can stay in for few years to make some money before going back to your home country to re-start your life there then qatar is a good option for you..
But if you are more concern about a country for yours and your children future... then go a head and apply for the visa...

All the best

·
Registered
194 Posts

If money is the primary concern maybe australia isnt the best place?! ....

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm in the same situation as yours. I live in Saudi and earn good money plus I'm a single guy so I can save up to 80% of my salary and the rest I spend mostly on traveling (having 45 days annual leave is another great plus). However, I'm ready to leave everything and immigrate to Australia today if I could and for only one reason: I want to take control of my life.

I don't want to move to Australia to continue to be an employee because to me that won't make a big difference compared to my current situation. In Saudi, I earn easy money and I have free time to spend it however I want but the country doesn't offer me long term stability. Australia might offer me that stability but definitely less money, plus taxes and mortgage which means I won't have time to enjoy life. So what's the point!

The only way to make good money and still have control of your life is to be your own boss! I'm tired of making someone else rich by using my life, skills and expertise and I want to immigrate to a business friendly country like Australia and open my own business which is something I can't do in a restrictive country like Saudi Arabia.

Moreover, I hate the idea that even if I work really hard to build a good life for me and my future family in Saudi, someone in my company's management or the saudi government can come one day and simply destroy it all by kicking me out of the country. I've seen it happen to many people. I have seen a guy who worked really hard for almost 30 years to build his own business in Saudi and one day his good sponsor bankrupted and he had to ask one of his saudi employees to sponsor him or face deportation.

That's how I see the immigration situation. It is a chance to move to a country that offers you a good place to start building your own business and gain the real freedom!

Reactions: 0z_dream

·
Banned
1,236 Posts

As you say you love to work, an Australian PR\Citizenship status will open the door for you to work internationally without much hassles. You may initially face bumps but eventually it should not only help you in your career but also enables your family to have a lot of options and a safety net.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts