Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking into the posibility of 'retiring' to the Costa Blanca area, at the moment I am finalizing our late summer trip. We are combining side trips to Bristol to visit family plus a week in Barcelona...

We will be flying into Valencia I am earmarking 4 nights there (not with the idea of living there) more a sightseeing side trip.. We would like your thoughts on Alicante, I initially planned on us spending 3 nights there, but now I am wondering why we have included Alicante, what the objective/need would be for us to spend time here considering that we are focusing our attention on Altea - Javea.
To get more of a feel for the area we're planning on staying in B & B's near Altea, Moraira, Lliber, I've already booked a hotel in Denia...

Sorry for my rambling.. But thoughts on Alicante.. Should we skip it and stay within oour area of interest... Spend just a couple of nights there anduse it as a base to go to Murcia and Elche Torrevija ? I'm overthinking things, someone here give me a poke and reality check please !!

·
Registered
100 Posts
We are looking into the posibility of 'retiring' to the Costa Blanca area, at the moment I am finalizing our late summer trip. We are combining side trips to Bristol to visit family plus a week in Barcelona...

We will be flying into Valencia I am earmarking 4 nights there (not with the idea of living there) more a sightseeing side trip.. We would like your thoughts on Alicante, I initially planned on us spending 3 nights there, but now I am wondering why we have included Alicante, what the objective/need would be for us to spend time here considering that we are focusing our attention on Altea - Javea.
To get more of a feel for the area we're planning on staying in B & B's near Altea, Moraira, Lliber, I've already booked a hotel in Denia...

Sorry for my rambling.. But thoughts on Alicante.. Should we skip it and stay within oour area of interest... Spend just a couple of nights there anduse it as a base to go to Murcia and Elche Torrevija ? I'm overthinking things, someone here give me a poke and reality check please !!
Not sure about Alicante as I don't know the city but I would suggest that 2 or 3 nights would be sufficient to "do" Valencia.

Where are you staying in Denia? I have a flat in Denia so know that area best of all.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure about Alicante as I don't know the city but I would suggest that 2 or 3 nights would be sufficient to "do" Valencia.

Where are you staying in Denia? I have a flat in Denia so know that area best of all.
We're booked into ~ Hotel Nou Roma .. Please tell me we made a good choice !! :eek:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
5,690 Posts

After you have been in Valencia I think you might find Alicante to be a bit of an anti climax.

Depends on what you are looking for really. We looked closely at Altea, and although I like going back there for trips from time to time, I am so glad we didnt choose there. Altea Hills is a bit of a nightmare, and they overbuilt on the coast.

While you are up in Denia have a trip to Gandia and wander round the paseos and the pedestrianised area in the centre near the Borgia Palace

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After you have been in Valencia I think you might find Alicante to be a bit of an anti climax.

Depends on what you are looking for really. We looked closely at Altea, and although I like going back there for trips from time to time, I am so glad we didnt choose there. Altea Hills is a bit of a nightmare, and they overbuilt on the coast.

While you are up in Denia have a trip to Gandia and wander round the paseos and the pedestrianised area in the centre near the Borgia Palace
Thanks for the suggestions. What do you mean by Altea Hills is a bit of a nightmare?

We are planning on staying in La Nucia rather than in Altea itself.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'm busy studying my itinerary and thought rather than drive from Valencia down to Alicante we would maybe spend one night in either Gandia or Oliva.. That way we aren't spending too long in the car and can have the best part of a day to look around. As you live in the area, any thoughts on which would be a good place to be for the night?

Mind you, living in Canada we are used to long drives just to get us to the next town!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm busy studying my itinerary and thought rather than drive from Valencia down to Alicante we would maybe spend one night in either Gandia or Oliva.. That way we aren't spending too long in the car and can have the best part of a day to look around. As you live in the area, any thoughts on which would be a good place to be for the night?

Mind you, living in Canada we are used to long drives just to get us to the next town!
My preference would be Gandia as it is more accessible on foot. Stravinsky knows Oliva better than I do so may suggest otherwise.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Altea Hills is imho horrible. House upon house upon house, overbuilt ... you'll see it on the mountainside as you approach Altea ... its very close to the motorway as well

if you were going to choose between Gandia and Altea, well I guess Gandia is the bigger place.

Depending on what you want, Ive had friends stay here before in Oliva

I dont know hotels in Gandia tbh. It's got more shops and generally more to do at night maybe.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Altea Hills is imho horrible. House upon house upon house, overbuilt ... you'll see it on the mountainside as you approach Altea ... its very close to the motorway as well

if you were going to choose between Gandia and Altea, well I guess Gandia is the bigger place.

Depending on what you want, Ive had friends stay here before in Oliva

I dont know hotels in Gandia tbh. It's got more shops and generally more to do at night maybe.
I agree Stravinsky, that does sound horrible and won't be ticking our boxes.. At present we are spoilt as we are on 3/4 acre, with very few houses around. We have lake and mountain views.. At night we can see the lights of our town twinkling 6 miles away.. (During the day we don't know it's there because of trees and a valley)

Our #1 criteria for a property is not to be overlooked or feel hemmed in. We don't want to live 'in' a town but have easy access to a town pref no more than 15 -20 mins away with a larger Town/City 1hr - 1hr 45mins max..

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
I agree Stravinsky, that does sound horrible and won't be ticking our boxes.. At present we are spoilt as we are on 3/4 acre, with very few houses around. We have lake and mountain views.. At night we can see the lights of our town twinkling 6 miles away.. (During the day we don't know it's there because of trees and a valley)

Our #1 criteria for a property is not to be overlooked or feel hemmed in. We don't want to live 'in' a town but have easy access to a town pref no more than 15 -20 mins away with a larger Town/City 1hr - 1hr 45mins max..
You should visit certain areas of Tossal Gros outside Oliva then. I can see ships going into Valencia harbour from my balcony. I can also see the mountains around Rotova and I can see Gandia harbour and Cullera. Gandia town is in the distance, as are the orange groves. You have to pick the right house regarding not being overlooked, but there are a few for sale :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts