Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've gone through some big changes in my life over the past year and a half. After receiving my 10 year residency card two years ago, my French husband and I decided to divorce. I've of course since moved, still living in the Ile de France region though. Anyway, I want to be able to remove his last name from my residency card (as well as update my address), especially if I ever want to get married again, or apply for citizenship (which I may attempt to do this year). Plus, in general it's just weird having his name on my card for whenever I need to use it, which I must admit is not often, but still.

We were married for a little over 5 years on the date of our official divorce which happened last September (2016).

I tried my chances at my new prefecture this morning (Nanterre), with all the required docs, but the "etrangers" line was literally a kilometer long. I still attempted to wait, but after two hours, we were told there were no more tickets and to come back another time.

My question is, is it worth it for me to change this on my card? I didn't realize getting it changed would be such a hassle at the lovely Nanterre Prefecture (which btw, has stopped receiving residency card address and civil status changes by snail mail since this February), and I must say, that waiting line really discouraged me. Plus, what if I signal some red flags? It would just be my luck to have some surly fonctonnaire take away my card or something, after I go in to try to make these changes, though from what I've read I should be in the clear considering my situation.

Anyone have any advice? Can I apply for citizenship with my current card, even if it's not up to date with my current status?

·
Administrator
50,417 Posts
Actually, once you're divorced you generally are no longer allowed to keep using your ex's family name. (Unless you receive "permission" to do so from the court.) Then again, once you're on a 10 year card, you're no longer dependent on being married to a French guy.

You should probably try this: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/R19902 It doesn't say it's for a carte de séjour - but it doesn't say it isn't.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks Bev. I should specify that I never officialy took his last name, but it does appear after mine with the letters EP in front of it on my carte de resident.

And since I'm on the 10 year card I shouldn't get any grief at the prefecture, right? That's really my biggest concern at the moment, but again we were married 5 years at the time of the divorce and 4 when my 10 year card was issued to me, which from what I understand exceeds the threshold where they might reserve the right to revoke.

Might take a stab at going to the pref again tomorrow super super early if I'm feeling up to it. Or can I just cover up the name with some tape on my card and pretend like it's all good :) ?

·
Administrator
50,417 Posts
Frankly, I wouldn't do anything about the card at this point. The EP part is literally just an indication of the name of your spouse (now ex) and that sometimes appears on official documents as the "nom d'usage" even if you don't use your spouse's name (like I don't). Legally, your name in France is ALWAYS the name on your birth certificate. If you can process the change of address, I'd do that and just mention in passing that the change is due to a divorce and see what they decide to do. If they just stick a sticker over your old address, there's no reason not to do the same thing with the ex's last name.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I really wondering if it's worth all the hassle to go through this, if when I do apply for citizenship it won't matter that the card isn't up-to-date.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts